Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 10:05:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 353 times)
BonnieB
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: April 30, 2015, 02:41:45 PM »

Hi,

I just discovered this group and hope it is a good resource, as well as a source of help and advice.

My wife was diagnosed with BPD in December and has been in a DBT skills group since January. She is not currently in individual therapy because we cannot afford it. The skills group has been really good for her, and I'm so glad.

Other than introducing myself, I'm looking for some help asking for things from her... .doing things she said she would, working, helping more around the house. I have the DBT Skills Training workbook and would like to use the D.E.A.R.M.A.N approach. Any thoughts?

Thanks much.

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 04:11:00 PM »

Hi BonnieB, 

Welcome aboard.  You have found a great place for resources, help, support, and advice for relationships with people with BPD (pwBPD).

That is great that your wife is in a DBT skills group. DBT is one of the most effective types of treatment for pwBPD.  I am glad that is working out.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)  It really does help improve things in your relationship. Skills training helps a pwBPD learn tools such as emotional regulation.

The D.E.A.R.M.A.N. approach is a great way to learn how to communicate with your wife.  Also, the skills handbook is fantastic for even non-disordered partners.

What types of behavior are you having the hardest time coping with?

Looking forward to reading your response.

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 06:53:30 AM »

Welcome BonnieB,

good to hear that your wife is in therapy and working on learning skills. You'll find this board a good complement for you to work on.

Other than introducing myself, I'm looking for some help asking for things from her... .doing things she said she would, working, helping more around the house. I have the DBT Skills Training workbook and would like to use the D.E.A.R.M.A.N approach. Any thoughts?

Dearman is about assertiveness where you push for some change. Where what are you thinking needs to be addressed?

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
BonnieB
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 07:03:41 PM »

Thank you for the welcome, EaglesJuju and anOught.

Boy, these message board remind me of the internet in the 1990s :-)

Eagles Juju, to answer your question... .there are a lot of behaviors I am having the hardest time coping with. I'm trying to prioritize them as I write.

On the functional/responsibility end, we are struggling financially, and she has been looking for work for about a year. She's picked up a few temporary contract gigs, but, for example, has "talked about" applying for a job at a particular place for about 6 months, but hasn't actually applied. She's applied for other jobs, but our financial house is on fire, and she's not seeking work like someone who is desperately seeking employment. She said she would go to a temp or employment agency, but hasn't. Stuff like that.

I've never used the D.E.A.R.M.A.N. system, but I have the workbook. I guess I am hoping to use it to ask her to do the things she said she would do... .go to an employment agency, take care of the house (we used to have someone clean the house, but can't afford it anymore... .my wife was the one who suggested we let her go so she could take on the duties).

On another, and more immediate, note... .my wife used to be a daily drinker. It was her primary coping mechanism. She has cut down on her drinking dramatically, and I'm proud of her. But on a day like today, after a ___ty mother's day (I have two teenagers), and we just started couples counseling yesterday... .she just texted me to say she's been drinking. I don't want to go home. I'm tired and disappointed. There's nothing to connect to when she drinks. UGH! I suppose this is another behavior I'm really struggling with.

Anyway, there are a ton of messages in this forum. I'm going to try to find the time to spend more time here.

Thank you.
EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 07:45:28 PM »

I've never used the D.E.A.R.M.A.N. system, but I have the workbook. I guess I am hoping to use it to ask her to do the things she said she would do... .go to an employment agency, take care of the house (we used to have someone clean the house, but can't afford it anymore... .my wife was the one who suggested we let her go so she could take on the duties).

Communication techniques really help. DEARMAN is Describe, Express, Assert, Reinforce, Mindful, Appear confident, Negotiate.  I alternate between DEARMAN and SET. Let me tell you, communication techniques are a godsend. I have been able to discuss things that once triggered my pwBPD, but now I can speak to him about difficult situations. Take a look at this article.

Communication tools (SET, PUVAS, DEARMAN)

I am sorry about your wife's drinking. I can understand that it can be frustrating. When my bf drinks he can get out of control.  Does your wife get like this?

Keep posting it really helps. There are many of us here going through similar situations.

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest