Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 09:59:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you focus a conversation  (Read 343 times)
IsItHerOrIsItMe

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« on: May 06, 2015, 06:41:11 AM »

So this morning I told my uBPDw that I wanted people (mostly my step-kids friends) to not just walk into our house.

Brief background, our both second marriages, w's first h passed away, we've been married 5 years.  I moved into their house and the s-kids needed a "period of adjustment".

She's reasonable when I bring up my desire, states she'd also like to lock the front door (I like to leave the heavy door open when the weather's nice.

After 10-15 minutes or so all the old complaints come out.  We go through all the old insecurities... .the time 6 years ago when I didn't hold the door open for her... .her top 100 greatest hits.

While I know it all relates to our original conversation, is there any way to focus pwBPD so that it doesn't take hours to discuss what should take 5 minutes?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

waverider
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 09:02:52 AM »

Dont respond to side issues, and repeat the last thing that was said back on the original topic eg "so you were (or I was) saying XYZ about guests just walking in unannounced"

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Ceruleanblue

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 09:35:09 PM »

It's hard, but just try not to defend, or engage in all the other complaints. It's funny how pwBPD can hold onto things that happened so long ago. I don't think that is exclusively a BPD thing, but it seems really amplified in them. No matter what you say, their reality of what happened is unbending it seems. I no longer try to change BPDh's mind about things he thinks that I know to be untrue. It's a total waste of time and energy.

As Waverider said, try to direct her back to the original topic.
an0ught
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 06:32:33 AM »

How do we rescue the relationship? How do we focus the conversation?

The answer mostly lies in ourselves, our focus, our boundaries preventing us going down bunny trails .

Excerpt
So this morning I told my uBPDw that I wanted people (mostly my step-kids friends) to not just walk into our house.

So you want something to happen and you approached her. And what do you want specifically from her? The way you went about is to bring up the problem and launch in a problem solving discussion. It is a good way to take someone along and get buy in. But you also can loose her on the way as she struggles to focus.

A different approach would be to think about the problem, come up with a solution and selling that to her. Yes, it is a shared problem but that does not mean you can't take the ownership for proposing a solution.

D.E.A.R.M.A.N. - Marsha Linehan, MD published the DEARMAN in 1993 as part of her DBT training manual.

D= Describe the current situation. Tell the person exactly what you are reacting to. Stick to the facts.

E= Express your feelings and opinions about the situation. Assume that others cannot read your mind. Don’t expect others to know how hard it is for you to ask directly for what you want.

A= Assert yourself by asking for what you want or saying no clearly. Assume that others cannot read your mind. Don’t expect others to know how hard it is for you to ask directly for what you want.

R= Reinforce the reward to the person ahead of time. Tell the person the positive effects of getting what you want or need. Help the person feel good ahead of time for doing what you want.

M= Mindfully keep your focus on your objectives. Maintain your position. Don’t be distracted.

A= Appear Confident. Use a confident voice tone and physical manner; make good eye contact. No stammering, whispering, staring at the floor, retreating, saying “I’m not sure,” etc.

N= Negotiate by being willing to give to get. Offer and ask for alternative solutions to the problem. What am I willing to “settle for” or “give up” in order to gain what I want in the situation?

Keeping the discussion on track is not trivial and the "M" in DEARMAN acknowledges that. Can you imagine formulating your approach along the lines of DEARMAN?

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
IsItHerOrIsItMe

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 10:38:14 AM »

How do we rescue the relationship? How do we focus the conversation?

The answer mostly lies in ourselves, our focus, our boundaries preventing us going down bunny trails .

Excerpt

So you want something to happen and you approached her. And what do you want specifically from her? The way you went about is to bring up the problem and launch in a problem solving discussion. It is a good way to take someone along and get buy in. But you also can loose her on the way as she struggles to focus.

A different approach would be to think about the problem, come up with a solution and selling that to her. Yes, it is a shared problem but that does not mean you can't take the ownership for proposing a solution.

D.E.A.R.M.A.N. - Marsha Linehan, MD published the DEARMAN in 1993 as part of her DBT training manual.

I've read Walking on Eggshells & The High Conflict Couple... .I don't remember this approach.

D= Describe the current situation. Tell the person exactly what you are reacting to. Stick to the facts.

Easy, any and all friends of the step-kids walk into our house instead of knocking and being let in.

E= Express your feelings and opinions about the situation. Assume that others cannot read your mind. Don’t expect others to know how hard it is for you to ask directly for what you want.

We're a blended family, got married in 2010.  she's owned the house since 1986.  I've expresses many times, in many ways, that the house does not feel like mine.  Before we got married I agreed to wait until the youngest child was in high school before beginning the process of moving.  That was 3 years ago.  If she doesn't know my thoughts/feelings it's because she's worked very hard not to know... .

A= Assert yourself by asking for what you want or saying no clearly. Assume that others cannot read your mind. Don’t expect others to know how hard it is for you to ask directly for what you want.

Not sure if this isn't a repeat, maybe I didn't express how hard it was... .

R= Reinforce the reward to the person ahead of time. Tell the person the positive effects of getting what you want or need. Help the person feel good ahead of time for doing what you want.

LOL, "I'll be happier" I don't think would make much of an impact.  I've already changed the timetable of our moving, so saying I won't push it for a few years I don't think would cut it since her compaining/nagging has already accomplished that.

M= Mindfully keep your focus on your objectives. Maintain your position. Don’t be distracted.

Future, if there's a payoff this may enter into it.

A= Appear Confident. Use a confident voice tone and physical manner; make good eye contact. No stammering, whispering, staring at the floor, retreating, saying “I’m not sure,” etc.

Not a problem, no noticeable impact.

N= Negotiate by being willing to give to get. Offer and ask for alternative solutions to the problem. What am I willing to “settle for” or “give up” in order to gain what I want in the situation?

[/color][/size]

I'll try the alternative solutions (maybe girl-friends have special privileges).  She just tried negotiating (BPD style) this up this morning, saying her letting the kids friends walk in is like me reading books that I want (that may contain female characters she has to 'compete' with... .totally different thread... .)

Of course for 5 years I haven't constantly complained even though things weren't my way.  She complains 5-10 times per week about any and everything to do with reading.  If I ever thought she'd follow through I'd gladly let anyone walk into our house if I could occasionally read without the constant harassment... .but how do you negotiate with someone when you don't believe she'll follow through with any agreement?

Keeping the discussion on track is not trivial and the "M" in DEARMAN acknowledges that. Can you imagine formulating your approach along the lines of DEARMAN?

OffRoad

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 12:12:59 AM »

Here's the one I've used and has worked for me:

*The item W has brought up* is an important topic, and I'd like to get back to that another time. Right now, I really need to address making sure that all the neighborhood kids don't just walk into the house without knocking first.

Repeat in various ways for everything that is not what you are talking about.

If these kids have always just walked in without knocking, it's going to be hard to stop this habit. The house is like their own home for them. Several questions come to mind: What is it about them just walking in that makes you uncomfortable? Is the problem you are having that your W will not ask her children to tell their friends to knock, and you don't want to address it with them?  Would it create a problem if you simply asked the friends to please knock and let someone answer the door before entering?

You can always approach it as your problem: "It is unnerving to turn around and see someone in the house I wasn't expecting to be there."
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest