Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 03:42:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books most popular with members
Stop Caretaking the
Borderline or the Narcassist
Stop Walking
on Eggshells
Journey from
Abandonment to Healing
The Search for Real Self
Unmasking Personality Disorders

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schedule - Mother's Day and Father's Day  (Read 381 times)
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« on: May 11, 2015, 10:01:44 AM »

Most years in the past Mother's Day had been on my weekend and Father's Day had been on her weekend.  I always felt we had gotten our schedule started on the wrong parenting weekends.  However, this year they're BOTH on my weekends.  That surprised me.

Mother's Day - second Sunday in May

Father's Day - third Sunday in June

It makes me wonder whether the calendar (accumulating a day offset each year) has slowly shifted in my schedule's favor?  Problem is, my High Conflict Parenting is mostly in the past, son is older and the latest court order (finally) deflated a lot of my ex's entitlement.

Is this an alternate weekend schedule "transition year" for MD & FD?  I haven't looked into future years but I suspect that if your past MD/FD holidays conflicted with your weekends, the future years may be better.  And if your past MD/FD holidays meshed with your weekends, the future years may clash with your parenting schedule.  So after nearly a decade it's a bit of a non-event for me.

Disclaimer:  I am a detail-oriented person, that is, I notice them, not that I do anything about them.

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 04:50:29 PM »

Joint custody here. 3-2-2-3 at this point (the 3s are Fri-Sat-Sun).

I have them this year for MD (too bad she didn't remember my offer to take her out to lunch with the kids yesterday... .but she did! And never showed), and also the next year. Then she gets them for 2017-2018.

Interestingly, I have them this year and the the next four years on FD. I didn't look further ahead than that. I do imagine it becomes a non-event after a while.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
whirlpoollife

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 07:37:17 AM »

I have kids second fifth weekends.   So for me those days fell on assigned weekends.

The court order is no matter whose weekend , MD kids with me, FD kids with father.

But moving to Thanksgiving break,  last two years ( in court order) it fell on my

fifth weekend Smiling (click to insert in post)... .this  year and on not .     

"Courage is when you know your're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what." ~ Harper Lee
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 09:25:57 AM »

The priority order in most courts is... .

• 1 - Holidays - if listed and applicable then they trump everything

• 2 - Vacations - vacation notice (not a request) trumps the schedule

• 3 - Schedule

Nope

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: married

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 05:37:14 AM »

I'll count these scheduling issues as yet another reason I'm happy we live so far away From the kid's BPD mom. In our case every single holiday that their mom has a right to and where she has a right to have them is spelled out in the order. Example: Father's Day is always DH's time no matter what. And the BPD mom has the right to select Mother's Day weekend as her parenting time (local to us) no matter what.

Obviously, she did not come. She has told the children that there is simply no way she can get the money and time off together to come here for any visits. Hopefully she'll think about what she's said before continuing to throw it in their faces that she and the new boyfriend are going on an out-of-state beach vacation without them this summer. (In an attempt to make them make us miserable for not giving her any summer parenting time.)
highroadstepmom

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 12:27:53 PM »

DH has Mother's Day and Father's day in the holiday schedule and... .of course mother's day has always fallen on a weekend when DH has kids, and father's day has always fallen on a weekend when udBPDx has kids (just means it's an added day of 'interaction' between the parents - yuck all around).

But - it's good to have it in the holiday schedule - mom has kids on mom's day from 9 AM - 8 PM, Dad same on dad's day.

I would add to foreverdad's trump schedule:

1. significant family events like weddings/funerals/family reunions (parents are required to give at least a few days notice to the other parent on these - but we haven't had this happen yet - we've planned our events and wedding around times we have the kids (on a 2/2/3 schedule).

2. holidays

3. vacations

4. schedule
Ripped Heart

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 12:37:26 PM »

ForeverDad, we have Mothers Day and Fathers Day written into our schedule too. Over here, it's different dates for mothers day, (2nd Sunday before Easter) and what the courts decided was that regardless of whose weekend it is, Mother has the kids on Mother's Day and I have them on Father's Day. Straight forward and simple enough.

However,

Mothers Day fell on my weekend this year so they stayed with their mother. Father's Day, she has signed them up to a Cheerleading competition and asked if I want them the following weekend instead. When I reminded her what date that was, she has now told me that I will be spending Father's Day spectating the competition but that she will also be there too.

The dilemma it puts me in is that she has already told the girls they are going to the competition so if I change the plans, I become the bad guy. If I stick to the plans, I don't really get to spend time with the girls and she is still exerting that control. So even the simplest things, aren't always that simple. Given your situation, are you in a position where you can discuss this and work around those dates so that you have them on father's Day and mother has them on Mother's Day?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest