Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 01:38:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello  (Read 350 times)
CarlowGirl
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: May 14, 2015, 10:03:44 AM »

Hello and Thank You for the warm welcome to the group.

I am in a relationship with a man who has not been diagnosed with BPD. He has bi polar and anxiety disorders and is really struggling right now. Following recent behaviours by him I found this website, and I asked him to take an online BPD test. He scored high on the test which he said suggests he might have this condition. I looked up this website for tools on how to communicate effectively with him and applied the principles I saw here... .that was one of the most calming conversations we have had in a long time. Thank you for having this group.

I don't know what to do next... .I don't know for certain if he has BPD or if the two other disorders are showing the same behaviours? He is hurting a lot. I am struggling too. All that I have read on here applies to him. I want him to get the correct treatment for him, and I want to support him through it.

Any help you can give on how to move forward would be really welcome.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 02:49:42 PM »

Hi CarlowGirl, 

Welcome aboard. You have come to a wonderful place for support and understanding.

I understand your concern with your significant other and helping him get the right treatment. 

BPD can be misdiagnosed as Bipolar and certain anxiety disorders, such as PTSD or GAD.  BPD often co-occurs with mood disorders, such as bipolar. The difference between anxiety disorders/mood disorders and personality disorders is a stable and long term pattern of behavior that is inflexible and maladaptive and cause significant impairment to an individual's life. Depending on the type of Bipolar, it is dependent on the type of episodes, e.g. manic, major depressive, hypomanic, mixed etc. Essentially it is a mood swing for a temporary period of time, then back to baseline mood.  Similarly, PTSD/GAD has temporary periods of heightened anxiety. Usually panic attacks are associated with both.

The long term behavior of a personality disorder can be distinguished by a well trained psychiatrist/psychologist. It may take awhile to diagnose, because a therapist needs to establish trust and "weed out" other possible diagnoses. Prior to diagnosing a personality disorder, a therapist will go through other possibilities. This process may take awhile.

If a psychologist/psychiatrist is informed about the possibility of suffering from a personality disorder, they can expedite the process by asking questions designed from diagnostic criteria.

Regardless of the diagnosis, there are therapy techniques that are beneficial for a multitude of disorders, such as PTSD. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Dialectical Behavioral Therapy are both shown to help BPD, PTSD, and Bipolar. I would look for an experienced psychologist/psychiatrist that specializes in personality disorders and CBT/DBT.

The behavior of your significant other is what should be focused on. What behavior are you having a hard time coping with?

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 06:48:05 AM »

Hi CarlowGirl,

EaglesJuju has greatly explained some of the important aspects and differences. Getting our loved on diagnosed correctly can be important and even more important is that they get the right therapy.

Still as you have realized the biggest short term improvement you can get is by adjusting your approach towards him. The LESSONS are a good start but then often the best is to join the discussion, compare your experience with what is discussed and offering your own stories. Writing things down and reading responses helps a lot to make sense out of our confused lives.

Welcome,

a0

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest