Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 07:12:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books most popular with members
Stop Caretaking the
Borderline or the Narcassist
Stop Walking
on Eggshells
Journey from
Abandonment to Healing
The Search for Real Self
Unmasking Personality Disorders

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Co-Sleeping And Seperation Anxiety  (Read 416 times)
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« on: May 14, 2015, 12:41:29 PM »

I didn't want to hijack truthbeknown's thread by going into my own issues too much, so I'll reply here as tortuga's post below is a good jumping off point, but the subject matter is similar:

D19 (just recently diagnosed BPD) slept with us until she was 3.

She felt very insecure, sleeping by herself, so by about 18 months, she began literally climbing out of her crib, and she would come and stand in our bedroom doorway asking us if she could sleep with us.

We would go spend time with her, and establish a bedtime ritual where we'd help her brush her teeth, then we would take turns, and spend about an hour or half hour with her. Reading books to her, and singing bedtime stories.  It took about 6 months for her to accept this routine, and stay in her own bed, but we kept up the routine until she was about 6, when she didn't seem to need our help falling asleep.

My SIL is probably also uBPD, and her daughter has some form of something going on (BPD? ADHD? we don't know) -  (but she has been in treatment since age 9).  She slept with her dad until about age 10. SIL did not sleep in the same room with them. Seems pretty concerning on the surface - but my point is, that this separation anxiety seems to be a common theme where BPD is involved.

My Ex is the uBPD, but she's attached more to her new H now. I don't know what goes on over there.

It took many months for now S5 and D3 to let go of the separation anxiety... .from me (because their mother neglected them, though she's doing better now).

The ritual above sounds good. S3 was especially anxious about being separated from me, and at 1-2 years of age are the critical attachment time. I finally got both of them to go do bed in their room after months of co-sleeping with me. Now S5 even repeats the ritual: "take bath, get dressed, brush our teeth, read, say our prayers, go to sleep." He's funny, and says it in a sing-song way.

Still, D3 usually wanders into my room in the middle of the night. Last night, she was ok until 6am, just before I got up, and came in to lay next to me. S5 hardly ever comes in, though he asks sometimes. He's old enough that he does what I tell him. Late last night, he peed his bed, so I had him change and slept on the other side of my bed (it was either that or put him in the living room on the hideabed).

This morning when I dropped them off, D3 wouldn't let me unbuckle her from her seat. I had to pry her hands off, but then not wanting to hurt her, I just said, "give me a hug," and I got her unbuckled. "I'd take you to work, but they don't allow babies there, sorry." She clung to me as I carried her into her grandma's house. GM asked her, "are you tired?" I think D3 is at the age where she is starting to "play things up." She seemed a bit angry I was leaving. The last time I had them, Monday morning, she acted a little like this, but this morning was a bit more dramatic. I kept assuring her that I was going to pick them up later today. S5 is fine with the schedule, though he always asks how many days they're going to be with me. Though I think S5 is the one more like his mom (easily triggered by hard to control emotions), D3's behavior is a bit concerning. It feels like she's possessive of me, and I wonder how much of it is normal Daddy-daughter dynamic, how much of it is still a reaction to the separation of over a year now, and if I'm doing anything to contribute to it, like maybe I should hug, hold and kiss her on the top of the head less?

Back to the co-sleeping: Since people can be at risk for developing BPD due to inborn traits, I wonder how much of this anxiety is just who some kids are. Certainly with a parent who projects their anxieties, inborn traits can be exacerbated.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Swiggle

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 02:41:46 PM »

I don't have much to offer in regards to the co-sleeping issues as my kids did not do that with me and only with their dad after I moved out. I think it was more about his needs than what the kids needed, but as it went on the kids began to enjoy the closeness vs. sleeping alone and that is the only time they got one on one attention/closeness with dad.

I just kept my boundary when they would come over. I'm really sorry you don't like sleeping by yourself and I'm sure it feels great when you do htat at dad's house, but in this house we sleep in our own beds. At first I would give the reasons why then I just would say what the rule was. I also made special "sleepover" nights where we would do this.

It can def feel as though you kids are "playing" up or being dramatic about things, I see this a TON with my SS8. Here is how it plays out... .his mom is uBPD. If uBPD mom calls to talk to ss for their nightly talk he will do a 180 with his attitude while talking to her. He can be having the most fun, playful, great day but as soon as she gets on the phone it is like doom and gloom. I think this happens for these reasons.

1. Mom at some point when he let on that he was happy may have made him feel guilty about it or seemed sad. In an effort to please mom he will often hide his true feelings from her

2. He gets MAJOR sympathy from her when it is doom and gloom. For instance if he says "mom we went to the park and rode bikes and had so much fun" she will generally in a snarky tone say "oh" and then change the subject, never asking more or showing how she is happy for him. When he takes the one thing from the day that was not so great, like maybe having a time out for whatever, he will tell her and she turns on the "oh honey that is so terrible, I'm so sorry but don't worry you'll be home soon" and she says this in a very sweet, caring way.

Could that be what is going on with your D when you say it feels like she is playing into grandma asking "are you tired". Maybe after you are gone and D tells grandma that she is tired, maybe she gets special attention or sympathy from grandma.

“The value and quality of any love is determined solely by the lover himself.” ~ Carson McCullers
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 03:03:55 PM »

S5 is old enough to listen and do what I tell him. D3 is... .D3, but she is also 3.

Excerpt
Could that be what is going on with your D when you say it feels like she is playing into grandma asking "are you tired". Maybe after you are gone and D tells grandma that she is tired, maybe she gets special attention or sympathy from grandma.

This is probably right. uBPDx's mom is a Hermit who projected a lot of anxiety onto the kids, especially my Ex, her sister, and their youngest brother. The thing is that D3 was just hugging me and playing tired because she wouldn't verbalize that she didn't want me to go to work. I'm being watchful of the hermit projections and correcting accordingly without engaging in familial alienation.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Swiggle

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 03:11:49 PM »

SS is better about his doom and gloom with mom but in the beginning we would use PACE and ask him about it. After he would hang up with his mom we would curiously ask if he was ok that he seemed sad while talking to mom. If we noticed that he had out and out lied to mom we would talk about how that felt, to him, to us, and maybe to his mom. As he talked it through over time I think he realized that there are other ways around it than to suppress his feelings. We validated that he felt like he had to be a certain way to take care of mom's emotional needs. We also explained that it isn't his responsibility to sooth mom's emotional stuff. His job is to have his feelings because they are his and express them or not express them in a way that feels good to him.

“The value and quality of any love is determined solely by the lover himself.” ~ Carson McCullers
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest