Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 05:43:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Building a friendship with my uBPDex...  (Read 380 times)
valet
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: May 19, 2015, 01:38:38 PM »

It has been nearly 4 months since me and uBPDexgf of 2 years officially broke things off. When things ended, both of us wanted a friendship, but I was not able to do it. I have been mostly no contact the last 3 months, but a few weeks ago I felt that I was ready to break it, and did. This had been something that had previously been discussed, shortly after the breakup.

I was simply following through on my own wants, because I felt that I was ready. I think that she would have been able to accept any decision that I made regarding a friendship, according to her words. Her actions have fallen in line with these words, more or less, as well (although she would contact me for pretty weak reasons before I officially instituted NC).

We've only met up once (this was shortly after I broke NC), and it didn't affect me at all. I felt comfortable, natural, and in control of my emotions. She invited me to a small social gathering last weekend which I did not attend because I knew that there was a chance that I would feel anxious/uncomfortable. I handled this very well in communication with her, and she didn't seem to mind. She did, however, according to her, get into a pretty big fight with her two roommates the next day. This is not my concern, but it does speak to her consistent pattern unstable interpersonal relationships.

I can't believe I'm at this point, and it almost feels strange posting on the staying board. I am not open to another romantic relationship with her, but my wants to amount to a type of staying, no?

My gut tells me to take this extremely slow. To not force unnecessary contact, and to not let my boundaries be busted no matter what. I have learned a lot in the last few months here. I would like a close friendship with her. I believe that this is very possible.

I think that I have my head pretty sorted out right now, but there are still a couple big questions floating around up here:

How much contact am I responsible for initiating, if I want her to be closer to my inner circle?

She is extremely an extremely high-functioning, introverted person, and our personalties, interests, and friends are all very intermingled. We had a very strong friendship before the relationship started. Is this something that can be returned to?

Again, I am willing to accept that this might not be possible, but I really want to give it an honest, nonself-compromising effort. Any advice/suggestions/personal experience regarding a situation like this?

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 02:04:45 PM »

Welcome  Being cool (click to insert in post) valet,

sounds like you thought quite a bit about it.

Excerpt
How much contact am I responsible for initiating, if I want her to be closer to my inner circle?

She is extremely an extremely high-functioning, introverted person, and our personalties, interests, and friends are all very intermingled. We had a very strong friendship before the relationship started. Is this something that can be returned to?

To build a connection - validate.

You want her closer in your inner circle - how close is close - and what areas are off-limits? Are you seeking too much closeness or are you acknowledging that some things should be private?

To maintain a relationship you need boundaries that go beyond b&w type boundaries like NC. There will be times when she will test your boundaries. Have you thought about the consequences for yourself?

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
valet
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 11:39:41 AM »

To build a connection - validate.

You want her closer in your inner circle - how close is close - and what areas are off-limits? Are you seeking too much closeness or are you acknowledging that some things should be private?

To maintain a relationship you need boundaries that go beyond b&w type boundaries like NC. There will be times when she will test your boundaries. Have you thought about the consequences for yourself?

Hey an0ught, thanks for your reply.

I think that too close would be reengaging in any kind of romantic relationship, but I think that pretty much everything other than that will have to be on a touch and go basis, depending on whether or not myself or my ex has found someone else.

Privacy, of course, is a matter that will have to be resolved on a situational basis. If I feel that something is crossing a boundary, I will enforce my beliefs. I don't really know at the moment, but I'm not really the type of person to hold much back about myself if I have a certain comfort level around someone. That said, I will respect her privacy as she wishes. The boundaries here have to be formed and gradually reformed, in my estimation. I think I can handle that.

I have thought quite a bit about her potentially trying to bust my boundaries, and I think that I am prepared now, knowing what I know and having a quite renewed imagine of my own self-responsibilities.

To be honest, I am quite nervous about all of this, but I think that that's normal. In previous non-non post-breakup situations I have encountered these same feelings, and they dissipated rapidly after a basic comfort level was established.

I really hope that this works out in the best interest of everyone, but I know that I absolutely come first. And hey, maybe it will turn out that we just aren't very similar anymore, but I'm willing to give it a shot. She was and is a valuable person to me. I learned a lot of things, accomplished quite a bit, and have really grown to love seeing the world and everything it offers while she has been in my life.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest