Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 06:56:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this a tool or manipulation on my part?  (Read 348 times)
SurfNTurf

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: June 16, 2015, 06:16:09 PM »

Hi Folks,

Not sure if this is a tool or a manipulation on my part that results in improved behavior of my BPD husband. Here goes:

My husband is Catholic. I am Protestant. I noted - when his mother was still alive - she kept a crucifix next to the front door, just inside the front door. Husb said this was to remind them all as children to behave "nicely" to people.

His brothers still do this. We do not; I have offered to hang his crucifix, he declines.

But in an 'aha moment' I went to my jewelry box and started wearing my gold cross (raised Baptist) and I've noticed when my husband starts to escalate and get mouthy, his eyes go to my cross at my neck and he shuts up. Doesn't necessarily pout and withdraw, just seems to better choose his words.

I'm a Christian, but I usually change out my necklaces, now I'm wearing my cross all the time. It helps remind me of my faith, and seems to help him remember to watch his words.  But is this okay to do?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 06:20:21 PM »

I don't see why not. Hey, whatever works!  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
vortex of confusion

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 06:38:43 PM »

I don't see it as a tool or manipulation. I see it as you stumbled into something that reminds you and your husband to be nicer to each other. If it works, keep it up!

Also, I would be hanging crosses around the house.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Not as a manipulation tool but to honor your husband's faith and to remind you both to be nicer. My husband is/was Catholic. I have a cross hung in almost every room of the house.
GaGrl
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 06:54:40 PM »

DH and I were raised Baptist. My son's father is Jewish. My stepchildren's mother (the uNPD/BPD) is Buddhist. Various cousins are Roman Catholic and Muslim and varieties of Protestant. It's a spiritual and religious buffet!

I'm sitting now in a Catholic hospital watching my father struggle with pneumonia. I find the crucifix comforting. I wear a cross often. I think any symbol that reminds us that we want to be a better person is a good thing.

"...what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge."
Ceruleanblue

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 12:49:28 PM »

It's definitely not manipulation. I used to wear a cross too(raised Baptist, and attended Baptist school), but I sure didn't notice if making any difference in how BPDh treated me. I wish it did. He's either atheist or agnostic though, probably depends on the day. I wish he'd have some belief system. I think it inspires us to be better.

Maybe I'll hang a few crosses I have. It can't hurt.
enlighten me

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 01:06:34 PM »

I admit that I use a little trick when dealing with my exs. I wear a different aftershave with each. One that they associate with the honeymoon phase. Im not sure how effective it is but I know they have an incredible sense of smell. My ex wife used to say she knew when I came in as she could smell my aftershave as soon as I walked in. I theorised as their sense of smell is so good that it would have some effect. Like I say no real evidence it works but if it puts them off balance for my brief interactions its good enough for me.

formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 01:22:14 PM »

It works... .go with it.

There was a while... .when it worked for us to stop and pray when things were getting hot. 

it worked for a short while... then she started using religious "digs" at me...

We rarely pray together any more... .

That's a bummer... .

FF

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest