Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 12:56:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keeping me off track  (Read 359 times)
Hmcbart

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married for 17 years and together for 19.

« on: June 18, 2015, 12:44:59 PM »

I noticed today in MC that every time I was trying to answer a question or say something that my wife would interrupt me. It's just a brief moment when she starts to say something but then she will stop and say she's sorry for interrupting and let me finish. I never noticed until today that each time it happened I lost track of what I was trying to say and once just told the T that I don't remember what I was going to say. She has done this a long time but I never thought about it until today.

I have ADD and can lose focus quickly. My wife knows this about me also and used this as the reason why she yelled and cursed at our oldest son.

My question: is this a tactic to keep me from talking about something that she perceives as damaging to her?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Sunfl0wer
`

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: He moved out mid March

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 10:56:40 PM »

It could be.

I have difficulty focusing.

I bring a doodle book to MC.  I take notes to remember important things in T and also sometimes write some things I may want to cover during session. 

I will also write a key word down when someone else is talking so I can get back to my thought, but still be present to listen to current conversation.  Sometimes I'll doodle a simple pic of the thought... .whatever works.

How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.~Anais Nin
vortex of confusion

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 12:36:17 AM »

My question: is this a tactic to keep me from talking about something that she perceives as damaging to her?

I have had this problem with my husband for years. I have tried to talk to him about it. The best response I have gotten is something along the lines of, "I am not trying to interrupt you as much as I want to get out what I want to say before I forget about it." Basically, he isn't really listening to me to listen. He listens to me to respond. While I am talking, he is thinking about what he wants to say. The minute he gets a thought in his head, he blurts it out and interrupts me.

This has slowed way down and gotten a lot better. I think I may have gotten through to him a bit when I would stop talking when he would do that to me. If he would ask what I was going to say, I would disengage and end the conversation. There for a while, I just let him talk and didn't really say anything other than a brief acknowledgement that I heard him. I might validate or ask for more information but I did not share anything. I stopped trying to have a two way conversation with him there for a while. I stepped off the roller coaster.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest