Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 09:04:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP My BPD girlfriend left me... Problem is...  (Read 351 times)
IsThisThingOn
Formerly NewLifeNow

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: June 25, 2015, 04:10:42 PM »

This past Monday my girlfriend decided that she was done with me and was no longer in love with me. The problem is... .My girlfriend and I both have been diagnosed with BPD. I have overcome a lot of my issues through talk therapy and have found a way to cope with the disorder. My moments of instability have significantly been decreased from cycles to at best a couple of hours. I still have work to do but I am very happy with my progress. My girlfriend on the other hand has maintained that she is fully recovered and is incapable of recognizing that she is in fact acting out exactly as someone deep in their BPD would lash out.

I think in order the fully grasp my question there needs to be a history of our back story. My girlfriend and I met a year ago by chance as she was bar tending in the same mall I work at. That day I walked in and instantly felt a connection I couldn't fully understand. I left that night without her number but instead with the promise of returning later that week. I never did. I thought about her for days after that night but still did not return.  Fast forward a year and I am walking back into the restaurant I initially met her and instantly she is on my mind. I tell myself there is no way she still works there... .I look up and there she is. My breathe was quite literally taken away as I took two steps back and felt my heart skip multiple beats. That night I told myself I wouldn't walk away again and I didn't. We fell into a whirlwind romance that was almost immediately obvious we both were dealing with BPD. We stuck together and when things were good they were REALLY good... .But the few times they weren't... .Well... .

I quickly realized her claims of recovery were most likely smoke and mirrors. She tried to convince me I was in fact the one with a lot more work to do. Something I almost found myself believing. Sex became a "thing" ... .Her desire to have sex constantly obviously fueled by her need to feel valuable and worthy. No amount of telling her how beautiful or perfect... .Intelligent or charismatic... .None of it was enough. She still began to feel abandoned and rejected. In the midst of this I found myself also fearing she would eventually leave me and reject me. I had the longest episode I've had in quite some time which lasted about 2-3 days before I took the time to be mindful and bring myself back to center. Her response to this was to instead tell me I had messed up to badly and because of this she was no longer in love with me and did not want to be with me anymore and it was over.

She has said this multiple times, showing obvious signs of even fearing me as she did her ex who physically and emotionally abused her to which I made sure to reassure her I would NEVER hurt her. She did come around and allow me to touch her... .Kiss her... .It was obvious by her body language and her acceptance of it that her words did not match what she craved.

My question is this: we are going on day two of no contact. My heart is broken. I am truly and madly in love with this girl. I am beyond willing to make it work with her HEALTHILY in a way where we enter therapy together and work on ourselves as wel as our relationship simultaneously. Deep inside my heart I believe she will come around... .But who can be sure. I guess my question is... .In past experiences by members here... .What has been most common based off of everything you've read? Should I abandon all hope? Is it best to have no contact? Should I slowly and carefully keep trying? Any and all advice is appreciated and welcome. I just need some knowledge. Some peace of mind. Some shared experiences. Please. Anyone.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

vortex of confusion

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 05:21:08 PM »

Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like you are in a rough spot. I don't know that there is a most common thing. Some people have had their partners return and some people haven't. Either way, you can still work on yourself and try to figure out what it is that you want if she returns.

Have you looked through any of the lessons? They might help provide some insight on things that you can do to hone up on some stuff.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest