Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 01:30:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I find myself wanting to apologize  (Read 361 times)
Processing

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: June 26, 2015, 04:30:15 PM »

I brought up a concern with my spouse which turned into a big fight.  Now I find myself wanting to apologize for having brought it up.  The bad rational I have is that I would rather be a little unhappy with the status quo than completely unhappy in a conflict.  Especially, when it feels like the conflict will never really be resolved. Is this co-dependency, or just a normal discomfort in couples.  I am not suicidal or anything Smiling (click to insert in post).  I just think I am done with the fight and want to move on and not ruin the weekend.  Ugh! 
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 04:38:20 PM »

Do you feel that there is anything that you should apologize for or are you doing it to keep the peace?

Is there a way you can not say anything and let the matter die?

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
Fian

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 04:39:28 PM »

Personally, I couldn't do that.  I feel that I would be untruthful (important to me), plus it just reinforces the victim thinking of a pwBPD.  You won't be able to get them to change, imo, if you just accept the blame, and the fear is that if you continually appease them, at some point you decide that you can no longer tolerate it, but instead are burned out by the constant appeasement - you lose sight of who you are and what is right and what is wrong.

On the other hand, I suppose that when you are talking to someone that has a hard time accepting truth, it can be easier just to try and manage them instead of trying to get them to see things correctly.

If you do wish to continue to speak truth, but manage their response, I know that many here encourage the use of SET to make it more acceptable to pwBPD:

Sympathy

Empathy

Truth
Surg_Bear

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 08:48:43 AM »

You won't be able to get them to change, imo, if you just accept the blame, and the fear is that if you continually appease them, at some point you decide that you can no longer tolerate it, but instead are burned out by the constant appeasement - you lose sight of who you are and what is right and what is wrong.

The constant giving in- just for the sake of 10 minutes peace - is maddening.  Do it for decades, and you will realize that you are having to explain why you need to go to the restroom at a restaurant.

WHY YOU NEED TO USE THE RESTROOM.

RESTROOM.

REST.

EST.

SET.

The solution.

Surg_Bear

hellosun

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 10:30:05 AM »

You won't be able to get them to change, imo, if you just accept the blame, and the fear is that if you continually appease them, at some point you decide that you can no longer tolerate it, but instead are burned out by the constant appeasement - you lose sight of who you are and what is right and what is wrong.

The constant giving in- just for the sake of 10 minutes peace - is maddening.  Do it for decades, and you will realize that you are having to explain why you need to go to the restroom at a restaurant.

WHY YOU NEED TO USE THE RESTROOM.

RESTROOM.

REST.

EST.

SET.

The solution.

Surg_Bear

This ^  PwBPD do not need to be catered to like a spoiled child. Do spoiled children seem very happy? No. Because they have not learned to deal with the reality that sometimes they will be disapointed, they are unable to calm themselves and cultivate gratefulness for what they have.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest