Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 03:12:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to respond in this conversation?  (Read 388 times)
ArleighBurke

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: was married - 15 yrs

« on: July 12, 2015, 10:04:27 PM »

I am learning to validate. What a challange!

When my partner tells me my actions were disrespectful/mean/unloving etc, I can explore how she feels. I can try to see it from her point of view - I can try to validate.

Often she then asks "So why did you do it?" or some variation. How do I respond to that?

I WANT to say: "because there was nothing wrong with what I did" - but that doesn't work. (Because in her mind when I've just validated her feelings, I've just agreed that what I did was hurtful. When actually I've agreed that I can see how it could hurt HER - big difference)

So what is the answer?  - I'm sorry I wasn't thinking? (this just supports her theory I'm stupid)

- I don't know - I'll try to do better next time (it hurts me so much to put-down myself)

- I did exactly what you asked me to do last time... .!  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Your journey, your direction. Be the captain!
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

vortex of confusion

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 10:11:58 PM »

I was wondering if you could give a specific example.

I also wonder if you could come up with some phrases other than, "Because I wasn't thinking".

How might she react if you said, "It seemed like a good idea at the time."  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Have you read much about SET?

Have you tried to avoid invalidating rather than focusing so much on validating? I think that was an important step for me. When my husband shares something with me that I think is crap, I can smile and nod and let him know that I am listening without necessarily validating.

I struggled with validating because it seemed like validating him was invalidating myself and I didn't want to do that.
OffRoad

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 03:43:57 AM »

Often she then asks "So why did you do it?" or some variation. How do I respond to that?

As a suggestion, you might try something like, "It was not my intention to be disrespectful/mean/unloving. I'm still working on better communication."

Both are true.

But before you blanketly validate, if she says you have said something hurtful, you might try "Hmmm. I never thought of it that way. I'll have to reassess my conversation skills. Thank you for your input." and wander off with a confused look on your face. Your mileage may vary. I can only use this one about once a month.
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 07:26:56 PM »

Slowing down conversations is important... .they can quickly get out of hand.

So... ."I haven't looked it from that perspective... .please allow me some time to consider this point of view... "

Then... .change subject... .

VOC is on the money when she says focus on avoiding invalidation first.  That's actually easier because usually... .you just have to hush.

In validating... .you have to find the right "target" or "emotion"... .

FF

waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 08:26:27 AM »

The trap that is being sprung here is being guilted into validating the invalid, followed up by then being guilted into JADE (Justify,Argue, Defend, Explain, ), which shifts you onto to weaker and weaker justifications.

To slow it down, concentrate on not invalidating rather than positive validation which often trips you up until you are completely sure.

Validation is more about hearing and acknowledging they have an issue about something rather than agreeing that their view of the issue is the right one.

Avoid using "I understand" an "I agree with you". Those are heard as blanket approval. Followed up with "if you understand/argree why are you being critical?" approach to expose you as being false in your claim to understand.

>> I can hear what you are seeing, and I can see how that makes you feel, my feelings on the matter on the other hand are different

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
ArleighBurke

Relationship status: was married - 15 yrs

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 09:43:38 PM »

Thanks all.

Not validating but not invalidating is an interesting concept. I'll look at that.

Your journey, your direction. Be the captain!
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 10:01:24 PM »

Thanks all.

Not validating but not invalidating is an interesting concept. I'll look at that.

9 points of validation can quickly be overturned by one point of invalidation. So learning how not to invalidate often teaches how to be more affective when validating

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest