Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 03:10:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: could i be wrong  (Read 556 times)
married21years

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: July 15, 2015, 01:30:18 AM »

we thought she had BPD, but could we be wrong and could the problem be me

i have really bad co dependency, and she has BPD traits. could the problem be me?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 02:08:35 AM »

A healthy r/s involves reciprocity. We play our parts. I have a dBPD mom. I fell into a dynamic repeating to do what I survived growing up. I didn't know... .but now I do. What is your biggest struggle right now? I could have done better, but it drained me to emotonally care take. Do you feel stuck in this cycle?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
married21years

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 02:12:38 AM »

oh yes defiantly

thanks turkish
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 03:37:02 AM »

If you dont have issues that drew you to a pwBPD then extended exposure will create a dysfunction in you.

Learning to deal with this is partly about sorting out our own stuff too.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
married21years

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 05:05:02 AM »

oh i do years of abuse as a child
sweetheart

Relationship status: Married, together 11 years. Not living together since June 2017, but still in a relationship.

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 05:41:42 AM »

Hello married21years,

Like Turkish, I came to realise I was repeating the dysfunctional patterns of my parents relationship dynamic. I grew up in a dysfunctional family, my father was an alcoholic, and I now realise my mother has some strong narcissistic traits that massively influenced our family dynamic. My mum enabled my fathers drinking because it allowed her control over him in so many ways.

After spending time here amidst ongoing horrendous dysregulations I came to accept my part in my marriage was triggering my husband.

This realisation in and of itself wasn't  a magic cure, but it created enough awareness and a window of opportunity to change the dysfunctional interplay between me and my husband.

Our relationship did change for the better, but a diagnosis of BPD still exists.

It's worth saying I had spent many years in therapy before meeting my dBPDh and my career was working as a nurse therapist in a forensic setting and I still married my father Being cool (click to insert in post)

The question you ask is a positive way to reframe the conflict, taking the focus off the pwBPD which is often the only focal point, or it was for me.

married21years

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 06:34:28 AM »

i am just a bit week at present
sweetheart

Relationship status: Married, together 11 years. Not living together since June 2017, but still in a relationship.

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 07:45:22 AM »

I understand feeling weak, but can you expand how what feeling weak means for you and within your relationship ?

Exploring it a bit more might help identify areas that will help you feel stronger.

vortex of confusion

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 01:56:33 PM »

I don't think it really matters who has BPD or not. I have issues and so does my husband. Both of us came from homes that were dysfunctional in different ways.

I can see where I have contributed stuff to the messed up dynamic with my husband. Really, the only thing that I can change in myself. I find that reading the lessons and rebuilding myself without worrying about any kind of diagnosis is very helpful. I have read so many things that lead me to believe that I could just as easily have some kind of disordered thinking too.
married21years

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 01:35:51 AM »

i was so fixated on her i allowed myself to suffer. i put my own pain and suffering on the back burner for her.

this is a trait i learned in childhood.

i realize focusing on helping her was wrong, as i didn't give a ___ about me.

i got lost in trying to help her with her pain i didn't protect myself or defend myself.

my only reason for living was to make her happy.

it almost destroyed me, my childhood was horrific. i am in therapy and dealing with it. but i may have lost her forever i just hope it is not to late.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 01:44:29 AM »

Maybe having grown up abused, perhaps being put into the place of taking care of a parent either emotionally (covert inscest), physically  (parentification), we can fall into care taking our significant others. In the end, it doesnt help us, or them (Not to excuse their behaviors). What are you doing to take care of yourself?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
married21years

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 01:50:07 AM »

thanks Turkish i am in therapy for myself weekly, i have a good job so i can afford it.

but i finally realized i have to stop taking care of her be a partner and not a parent. this dynamic in our relationship has to change.

finally thinking about me, tried to do that before by moving on but i still worried and loved her.

i love her so much 
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 01:58:04 AM »

I've spent... .I don't want to say how much, in T over the past 1.5 years.

I'm further out, and I think I don't love her, but sometimes I miss her. It's hard. You're posting on Staying. Is this it, or do you think it's done?

married21years

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 02:02:25 AM »

she wanted to end it Tuesday.

she blew up i calmed her down and we sorted it but our relationship status is very shakey.

we are talking and she is scared of getting back together and i know she loves me but denies it. i can hear the pain in her voice as she is hold back the tears but she wants me back.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 02:06:33 AM »

How are you doing in validating her feelings (using the tools)?

married21years

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 02:25:12 AM »

i was doing really well but i got upset and hurt and stopped the relationship suffered.

i got scared
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 02:58:55 AM »

i was doing really well but i got upset and hurt and stopped the relationship suffered.

i got scared

I was upset too, but withdrawing emotionally only triggered her fears of abandonment. How can you reengage? You seem to want to, but how can you do it healthily, aligning with what you really want? Can you be honest in a validating way?

married21years

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 04:08:57 AM »

we are starting to talk again
an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 05:02:20 PM »

Hi married21years,

we thought she had BPD, but could we be wrong and could the problem be me

i have really bad co dependency, and she has BPD traits. could the problem be me?

it is really a feedback system. See the graph here: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=221022.msg12411502#msg12411502

When it comes to the question of system stability the determining factor is the gain in the system, phase shift, delays. A system with high gain, where things are out of phase and possibly a major delay is unstable.

Gain in the system could be any partners over sensitivity or over reaction. It is in some sense pointless to put blame on any specific contributing factor as they all add up. When the system becomes unstable emotions on both sides ramp up. Most people become irrational once a certain emotional threshold is reached. So it is e.g. entirely possible that one side drives the drama and the other side goes into overload and acts crazy. Usually in relationships with pwBPD the pwBPD is over-sensitive, over-reacting and has a low threshold for loosing control. But then it is also possible that the pwBPD is over-sensitive and transfers the emotions to the co-dependent partner who over-reacts and destabilizes that way the relationship.

BPD can take very different forms. So can co-dependency. To improve we need to see beyond the labels and identify our specific contribution and work on it.

You are on the right path  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) Don't judge yourself too harshly. When caught in a dysfunctional system it is hard to get a perspective on yourself. The distance you have right now - which we hope will get smaller again - helps you to see clearer and that was not possible before. What matters is what you do going forward.

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest