Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 11:39:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coping with Splitting/distancing "It's not that serious between us"  (Read 401 times)
shatra

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: July 15, 2015, 08:36:59 PM »

Hi

I am coping with what may be splitting (seeing me as all bad) or distancing (keeping me at a distance to protect himself from feeling abandoned).  We are currently on a break, and seems to be recycling with a former "friend".  I feel upset over this, and he replied "It's not that serious between you and I". I am shocked, because before he would crave closeness, talk about our future and ask for more time with me, then blurt out "it's not that serious", etc.

I wonder if this is his defense, splitting our relationship as devalued, or pushing me away to protect himself. I feel uncomfortable for 2 reasons----

1----I'm confused, because he insisted it was a serious relationship before

2----- I'm hurt because it seemed serious and now he devalues it.

Any feedback or similar experiences would be helpful

Thanks

Shatra
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Daniell85

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 10:42:25 PM »

How long have you been on break and why are you on break?

I get "breaks" from my boyfriend, too. That can be hard because it seems like shady things happen a lot during those times. It can be pretty confusing and upsetting. BPD seems to scissor through their memories of what they have done with us and the things they say about the importance of the relationship during those times. 

It seems to me it's that object constancy thing. Kind of like they disassociate from us while they are off orbiting something else. Then they come back and have an "a-ha" moment and "oh yeh, YOU are the one I love!"

Wears and tears my nerves quite a bit in the past. Confusing, baffling, yep. Then I remember, BPD. :/  That sucks 
mindwise

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 06:11:11 AM »

1----I'm confused, because he insisted it was a serious relationship before

2----- I'm hurt because it seemed serious and now he devalues it.

Hi shatra,

I understand your confusion and I'm sorry you're hurting.

He probably meant it at the time (serious relationship).

When your partner unilaterally changes the terms of the relationship don't go along with it. Let him know you love him and want to be with him but as a romantic partner, not as "just friends". Don't settle or participate in "not so serious between us" vibe. 

Understand his need for space but don't tolerate toxic dynamics (break up, recycle).

If you are looking for a serious relationship with a pwBPD you have to take the lead, stand up for what you believe and communicate assertively. Don't let him take you for granted.

I get "breaks" from my boyfriend, too. That can be hard because it seems like shady things happen a lot during those times. It can be pretty confusing and upsetting.

I can relate to this Daniell85. What seems to "work" for me with my BPDgf is to find a balance between understanding her unhealthy coping mechanism and accepting her need for space but also communicating calmly it is not OK to break up, date other people and then expect to recycle. Letting her know, lovingly, that if she leaves again, it's forever. 

Good luck Smiling (click to insert in post)

mw
shatra

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 04:44:06 PM »

Hi

Thanks for the feedback. Danielle the break is 5 mos so far, because we were not able to schedule time together due to our schedules.  You are right it is object constancy... .and also I feel he devues and splits me black during the break so it is less painful for him (he won't miss me as much if he says it "wasn't that serious anyway"

Mindwise, yes the break and recycle is a painful process. And I fear he won't come back, which makes me more upset!

Shatra
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest