Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 03:55:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to respond to "I don't know why I keep ruining this"  (Read 407 times)
Infern0

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: July 17, 2015, 04:48:04 AM »

I.e our relationship.

Bpdgf said this to me today, she was quite upset about it, trying to open up to me after push pull phase.

She said "I don't know how you cope, I don't know why I keep ruining this"
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Infern0

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 09:29:05 PM »

Anyone?
MaroonLiquid

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 09:36:41 PM »

You could validate it by saying, "I can't imagine how hard it is for you to feel like you are ruining everything.  I am still here."
myself

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 09:40:24 PM »

Is she seeing a T?

That would be a good question to ask there.

Would she (and you) be willing to go to couples therapy?
spacemadness

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 10:39:16 PM »

I would say something like, "You aren't ruining anything, I'm still here and I love you very much." I also liked MaroonLiquid's response.

My husband said something similar the other day. But he was just drunk and had a fleeting moment of clarity.
Infern0

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 12:25:20 AM »

Is she seeing a T?

That would be a good question to ask there.

Would she (and you) be willing to go to couples therapy?

No she hasn't been to dbt for over a year which obviously isn't ideal.  But she needs to decide she wants to go back.
FannyB

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 02:30:10 AM »

I guess it depends whether it's a marking time relationship or whether you have genuine aspirations to try and go the distance with this girl? If it's the latter, then I would re-iterate that you're still here, you love her and don't give up easily. Then I would shift focus on what you could do together to help her with this e.g. her committing to therapy and you committing to supporting her through it.

It's good that she's recognising she's got issues though mate - that provides a sliver of hope that many on these boards have been denied.

Good luck.

Fanny
patientandclear

Relationship status: single

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 02:34:14 AM »

I would say something like, "You aren't ruining anything, I'm still here and I love you very much." I also liked MaroonLiquid's response.

My husband said something similar the other day. But he was just drunk and had a fleeting moment of clarity.

But her actions are destructive.  It doesn't seem helpful for Infern0 to pretend it doesn't bother him when she withdraws.  She's correctly flagging that her behavior can be problematic and if he acts like he has no idea what she's talking about, that probably won't ring true; nor does it support her important insight that her behaviors do have a cost, for her as well as him.
Infern0

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 02:46:46 AM »

I guess it depends whether it's a marking time relationship or whether you have genuine aspirations to try and go the distance with this girl? If it's the latter, then I would re-iterate that you're still here, you love her and don't give up easily. Then I would shift focus on what you could do together to help her with this e.g. her committing to therapy and you committing to supporting her through it.

It's good that she's recognising she's got issues though mate - that provides a sliver of hope that many on these boards have been denied.

Good luck.

Fanny

It's a weird situation i find myself in as i'm no longer codependent on her.

I want it to work, I want to be with her long time, but i also these days accept that may not be realistic, she has SERIOUS difficulty processing our level of intimacy, and she withdraws after every close moment. I need to have a more serious discussion with her on our relationship because it cant go on like this forever.

At the same time i'm holding up pretty well, i don't feel the need to end things yet
FannyB

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 03:03:38 AM »

Good luck.

Fanny

I want it to work, I want to be with her long time, but i also these days accept that may not be realistic, she has SERIOUS difficulty processing our level of intimacy, and she withdraws after every close moment. I need to have a more serious discussion with her on our relationship because it cant go on like this forever.

At the same time i'm holding up pretty well, i don't feel the need to end things yet

Yeah - it's almost like we're doing 'push-pull' with ourselves. One of the hardest things I found to process was not wanting to be with someone who I loved as it was pointless and self-defeating to try and prolong the relationship. That was against my 'code'.   

I think as long as you enforce your boundaries as to what is acceptable behaviour to you then that will dictate the duration of your relationship. You seem strong enough to do this but she's gonna have to show some serious intent to try and change things if you're going to last. Her realisation of her destructive behaviour and it's negative impact on you is a good stating point though.

Fanny
Infern0

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 04:33:49 AM »

Good luck.

Fanny

Yeah - it's almost like we're doing 'push-pull' with ourselves. One of the hardest things I found to process was not wanting to be with someone who I loved as it was pointless and self-defeating to try and prolong the relationship. That was against my 'code'.   

I think as long as you enforce your boundaries as to what is acceptable behaviour to you then that will dictate the duration of your relationship. You seem strong enough to do this but she's gonna have to show some serious intent to try and change things if you're going to last. Her realisation of her destructive behaviour and it's negative impact on you is a good stating point though.

Fanny

I think for me it's getting to the stage of just accepting that she may not be able to do this, may not be able to face her demons. But still I'll give her every opportunity.  She deserves that much.
an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 04:43:07 AM »

Hi Infern0

She said "I don't know how you cope, I don't know why I keep ruining this"

No she hasn't been to dbt for over a year which obviously isn't ideal.  But she needs to decide she wants to go back.

In your situation my response would be: "Good question! There is a whole profession dedicated to figuring such things out and or helping people to change it. You know it and it has helped you somewhat in the past. Your choice to continue working on it. You sound like you are a bit motivated again. I certainly would appreciate it as I get a lot of fallout at times. But I'm not a T. That won't work. You need someone with an outside point of of view to guide you there."

But that is me telling you all in one go  Smiling (click to insert in post). A probably more effective way would be a dialog with questions taking her along that path of

- validating pain

- encouraging willingness to change

- refusing to take that ownership yourself as a partner

- pointing to a T

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest