Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 04:10:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My husband is a slave...  (Read 406 times)
Ysabel

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: July 17, 2015, 08:44:17 AM »

When I have the right perspective, I can see my BPDh as an absolute slave to himself! He is not capable, 99% of the time, of taking the perspective of another and meeting her/his needs. Life is all about him and getting his needs met. How empty and sad. I have a rich life outside of him which allows me to live a much happier life, meeting the needs of others who do reciprocate! Last night, because I was lonely and tired, I gave into thinking that almost always makes things worse, I had the faulty expectation that I could express a need and it would be met. It was met alright, met with anger, hostility and contempt! Duh! What was I thinking? Ok, so the analytical part of me kicks in, why do I keep banging my head against the same wall? The answer: intermittent reinforcement. If he rages at me for expressing a need (which he interprets as a criticism of him, again, enslaved to himself) 9 out of 10 times, but on the 10th time he responds appropriately, then I will endure 9 horrible encounters just to get to the one satisfying response! My seeking love, validation, acceptance, encouragement, compliments etc. is what is keeping the cycle going. Not that I blame myself, my needs are more than legitiment! I know that intermittent reinforcement is more powerful than 100% reinforcement, so my behavior of seeking is not extinguished, only strengthened! Will I do it again, oh yea, probably!
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

takingandsending

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Married, 15 years; together 18 years

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 01:02:42 PM »

Hi Ysabel.

I so hear you on this one. Our MC (who I also occasionally see on my own) puts it simply: human beings seek connection. As infants, we seek to establish security through connection. As children, our brains and emotional stability grow through connection. As adults, we seek connection to express our collective self v. individual self.

The nature of BPD is of damaged or impaired connection (to self, to other). For those of us who attracted BPD in our lives, we, too, likely sought the safety of a less stable connection through habit, familiarity and fear. Knowing helps but doesn't change what is. You aren't wrong for having needs, nor for hoping that your husband would help you in getting them met - that's the nature of secure connection or attachment. His impairments make it difficult to connect without your help.

I guess that is what SET, PUVAS, and DEARMAN are meant to do, assist your loved one to connect to you so that your needs for simple human connection can be met from time to time. I can see how my wife has been begging me for better connection between us, how distressing it is for her. I try to use the tools, but I cannot make her connect if she will not. It's the worst part of this disease for those of us still trying. How not to lose hope?

Ceruleanblue

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 01:19:30 PM »

I've done a lot of this too. I just know that he likely won't meet my needs, but I occasionally think, maybe this time is different. I get hung up I think because I see him doing for others(mainly his grown daughters), what I'd so love him to do for ME. He IS capable of it, and this is where I get hurt or angry. I know better than get emotional needs met by him, but there are some needs that ONLY he can fulfill: mine are small gifts meant to show he cares, and words of affirmation. He does these for his daughters, why can't he for ME?

It's power and control, I feel. I think with most pwBPD, they probably aren't giving a lot to anyone, but I know in my BPDh's case, he is. If he was equally crappy to everyone, and selfish and thoughtless with everyone, it would be much easier to just say it's a lost cause. But seeing him doing it for those who treat him the worst, yeah, that stinks. Maybe that is exactly WHY he tries harder with them. That is unhealthy also.

It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one who slips up and forgets that he's just not willing to meet my needs. It is like beating your head into a wall. I've used that analogy myself a few times. Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest