Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 03:47:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to reconcile with BPD spouse  (Read 2224 times)
turbo squash

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: July 20, 2015, 08:58:44 AM »

I'll give the cliff's notes version of the story of my wife and I.

We had a misunderstanding, I told her to leave, and so she did. (I didn't know nearly as much about BPD then as I do now and I realize that that was the worst possible thing I could say.)

We have now been separated for six weeks. She wants to get back together. I want to get back together. The real rub is that she is scared that I will tell her to leave again and she said that that hurt so incredibly badly that she could not go through it again.

She has already gotten back in therapy and on medication after a hiatus. The hiatus wasn't really intentional, our lives just got crazy. I have done a lot of reading, don't take her symptoms personally, and am much better equipped to do the things I need to do and not do the things I should not do. (I hardly knew anything about BPD before this separation and my actions definitely contributed to her feeling abandoned and running away.)

How do I get her to trust me when I say that I will never tell her to leave again? How do I get her to be willing to be vulnerable again?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

turbo squash

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 09:25:25 AM »

I should also add that over the last week, we have spent time together on 7 different occasions and each time, it has been very positive. I think that she just has a very difficult time overcoming the fear of potential abandonment in the future.
vortex of confusion

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 06:34:28 PM »

It is good that the two of you have been having positive interactions with each other.

How long have you and your wife been married? Have you ever asked her to leave before this latest episode?

Have you had much chance to read through the lessons?

One thing about trust is that it doesn't take much too loose but takes a lot to get back. Telling somebody to leave over a misunderstanding is kind of a big deal. If you have a misunderstanding with her in the future, how do you plan on handling it differently? It is easy to say that you will never do something again. It is a little more difficult to follow through, especially when emotions are high and not thinking straight. Please don't take me saying that as judgment. I am saying it because I have been there. I have told myself that I would never do something again only to find myself doing it again because I overestimated my own abilities. I am human. I am going to mess up. And, sometimes, I find myself doing things again because I wasn't honest with myself about how much I was hurt or bothered by the things that my husband did.

You can't sweep your stuff under the rug and hope it goes away. Both of you want to get back together. That is awesome. Is there some kind of plan in place that will help the two of you from repeating this stuff again?
turbo squash

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 11:42:15 AM »

We have been married for a little over 2.5 years. I have never asked her to leave before. I have read through most of the lessons.

I agree that trust is very hard to get back once it is lost. The reason why I told her to leave is because I had been hearing about how a new co-worker was so much fun, he was cute, and that he reminded her a lot of me when we first started dating. She had been sharing stories with me about him for a few weeks before she calls me on her way home from being with him until 11PM on a Monday night. I was a little tipsy and I told her to leave. The next day I realized that they had been texting and talking on the phone A LOT for the previous week... .even until 2AM or  3AM.

At the very least it was emotional, she admits that, and even if it was more than that, it doesn't matter because the hurt is still there.

We tried to get back together 2 weeks into the separation. We stay together for a few days and then I see that she was still talking to this guy that she said she would stop talking to. I don't tell her to leave, and I move out.

I realize that I have blame in this. I jumped to conclusions and even though they were right, I did the worst thing I could by telling her to leave.

That is the worst part about it all. She said that she just wants me to date other people, go to therapy, and enjoy my life and maybe she will be able to fix herself in time and we will be able to get back together... .maybe not. I realize that this could just be her way of trying to gently let me go bit by bit, but part of me also realizes that she isn't very severe BPD and she could be genuinely trying to get better so that she can be with me again.
vortex of confusion

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 12:27:36 PM »

We tried to get back together 2 weeks into the separation. We stay together for a few days and then I see that she was still talking to this guy that she said she would stop talking to. I don't tell her to leave, and I move out.

Hmmm. . .do you think it would be helpful to set a boundary around this? For example, you won't consider moving back in with her unless she limits her contact with this guy to work only.

I can understand why you would tell her to leave if she is talking up this other guy. My husband and I experimented with an open relationship for a while. It felt like a kick in the gut every time my husband would meet somebody online and go on and on about how great she was and how he felt a real connection, blah, blah, blah. I talked to other guys and even had one guy that I spent time with. I tried so hard to keep things respectful and NOT tell my husband how great the other guy was. I tried to continually tell my husband how great I thought he was in some areas. The pain of seeing him get so excited over these other women is impossible to describe. I would find myself thinking things like, "Gosh, I wish he would get that excited over me!"

Excerpt
I realize that I have blame in this. I jumped to conclusions and even though they were right, I did the worst thing I could by telling her to leave.

First off, I question the notion that you jumped to conclusions. If a person's spouse is texting with another person and staying out that late with them, it seems natural to jump to those kinds of conclusions, especially if it is a member of the opposite sex. It sounds like you were following your gut instincts.

I agree that telling her to leave was probably not a good move. However, in situations like that, it is difficult to tell what the "right" move is. Could you have handled things differently? Absolutely. Don't beat yourself up over it.

Excerpt
That is the worst part about it all. She said that she just wants me to date other people, go to therapy, and enjoy my life and maybe she will be able to fix herself in time and we will be able to get back together... .maybe not. I realize that this could just be her way of trying to gently let me go bit by bit, but part of me also realizes that she isn't very severe BPD and she could be genuinely trying to get better so that she can be with me again.

UGH! That seems like such a cop out. At least that is how I felt when my husband and I agreed to an open marriage. I had the thought, "Oh, you want to put in effort with new relationships so that you don't have to put in the effort to be with me." I did talk to other guys. I won't lie. I enjoyed the attention. What I didn't enjoy is that it was for all of the wrong reasons.

If you want to stay with her, don't kid yourself into thinking that this is about her getting better. If she truly wanted to get better, she would be seeking counseling and would stop talking to this other guy. If she really wants to be with you, I think she would be doing things other than telling you to date other people. When my husband decided that he wanted to work on himself, he stopped talking to other women. He sought counseling and he has made some effort to try connect with me. His efforts kind of suck in my opinion. I recognize that his efforts suck because he lacks a lot of basic skills that he should have learned as a kid. I am trying to be patient with him because he is trying.

If you want to stay, you need to figure out how long you are willing to wait and what you are willing to accept while waiting. Focus on you and your values and what you want and go from there.
babyducks

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 12:44:08 PM »

Whoa turbo squash,  I happen to remember your initial posts here and the very detailed description you gave at the time.    Misunderstanding is not the word I would use to describe things.

I would suggest you slow down.  Really slow down.    There is no time frame for healing issues of these types.

And I would also suggest you make an effort to gain clarity about what a relationship with your wife will look like in terms of trust.    From here it looks like there were breaches of trust on both sides of the relationship.

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
turbo squash

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 12:50:17 PM »

UGH! That seems like such a cop out. At least that is how I felt when my husband and I agreed to an open marriage. I had the thought, "Oh, you want to put in effort with new relationships so that you don't have to put in the effort to be with me."

If you want to stay with her, don't kid yourself into thinking that this is about her getting better. If she truly wanted to get better, she would be seeking counseling and would stop talking to this other guy. If she really wants to be with you, I think she would be doing things other than telling you to date other people. When my husband decided that he wanted to work on himself, he stopped talking to other women. He sought counseling and he has made some effort to try connect with me.

She is bisexual and we have talked about a threesome (since being separated) or how we might open things up. I wouldn't say that we were talking about a completely open marriage, but definitely something that was a lot more open than the stereotypical view of marriage.

She says that it is not fair to me for her to ask me to wait while she works on herself... .but like you said, I can not help but feel like if she was really serious about getting back together with me, she would stop the contact with this person outside of work. She said that she is back in therapy and taking medication. I have noticed a big improvement in her behavior since she claims medication and therapy have started... .but it still comes back to the fact that she is still talking to this person. She could just be fooling me, but I don't think she wants a romantic relationship with this guy. However, the fact that she is sharing the majority of her thoughts and feelings with another instead of me is still something that I do not like at all.  

I understand what BPD entails. I understand that crap like this is bound to happen when somebody doesn't stay in therapy. The thing I am confused about is whether or not her not taking more aggressive action to get back together with me is BPD or her way of trying to let me down slowly.

She has been a lot nicer to me. She has been listening to what I have to say and admitting fault... .but she is also still talking to this guy. Should I just be cutting my losses?

babyducks, I try to be a nice guy and put things in the best possible light. I am trying to slow down and not rush to make any decision. I have started seeing a therapist too.
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 01:04:00 PM »

Focus on you and your values and what you want and go from there.

This is job number 1.  Are you ok with your wife having  a r/s with another guy like she was/is having with this work coworker?

What if she has them... but you don't talk about it? 

Note:  Not saying either way is right or wrong... .just that this is a BIG deal... .

Once you can let us know which way you want to go with this... .what YOU are ok with... .we can help you sort through boundary issues that you need to think about.

FF

turbo squash

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 01:28:36 PM »

This is job number 1.  Are you ok with your wife having  a r/s with another guy like she was/is having with this work coworker?

What if she has them... but you don't talk about it? 

A threesome? I could handle. Her making out with a random girl in a club to scratch the itch? I could handle. Emotional and/or physical relationship with a guy? I am not okay with that.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 02:11:35 PM »

Emotional and/or physical relationship with a guy? I am not okay with that.

OK... .well... .then you need to create a boundary around that.

These are your values... .and it is your job to protect them... .regardless of whether your wife is ok with it.

So... .how is this going to look? 

You seem to have made your choice about your values... .now it is up to your wife to make a choice about hers.

FF

turbo squash

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 03:56:54 PM »

You seem to have made your choice about your values... .now it is up to your wife to make a choice about hers.

FF

So you would just lay it out to her and tell her to get over it or get under it?
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 04:41:32 PM »

Yes... .BUT... .wait a few days.  The way this happens matters.

Look up SET and DEARMAN in lessons... .study... .come back and ask questions.

In essence... .you are drawing a line in the sand... .but you want to do it in the best way possible.

It should not seem like a challenge to her...

FF

vortex of confusion

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 05:20:44 PM »

I would like to add to what formflier said and challenge you to do some more thinking before approaching your wife.

I think it is good that you know that you are not okay with her doing stuff with other guys. Before drawing the line in the sand, I would think long and hard about it.

You mentioned that you discussed a slightly open scenario. What did that entail? If you have an itch, do you get to scratch it with another woman? Do you have any desire to date other women? If you are okay with her scratching her itches with other females, is there a chance that you may come to resent that?

I am not trying to pass judgment. I am posing questions to you based on my own personal experiences. Even if she is only seeing other women, there needs to be communication and ground rules to protect yourself and the relationship.
babyducks

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 06:48:02 PM »

Hi turbo,

there has been some good stuff already said in this thread, some good ideas for you to turn over and discuss with trusted friends and supporters. 

I wanted to go in a slightly different tack.   To throw out some more thoughts for you to consider.

How do I get her to trust me when I say that I will never tell her to leave again? How do I get her to be willing to be vulnerable again?

This is what caught my attention as I first read through this thread.  I understand you are likely typing fast, trying to capture a lot of complex thoughts in tiny white box on a screen but I want to raise a tiny  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) here.   pwBPD, as you likely know from your reading, are not adept at self soothing.   They have maladaptive coping traits of making others, normally their SO, responsible for their emotions. You don't get her to be willing to be vulnerable again.   It's not up to you to mitigate her emotions.   It's her job to identify her emotions and coping strategies to deal with them.   

You said you read the lessons.   So I am sure you found FOG in there.  Fear, Obligation and Guilt.   Your actions were what they were.   They were frankly, pretty dang normal.   Don't absorb guilt for being human.  Don't absorb guilt for reacting to her behaviors.

Excerpt
The real rub is that she is scared that I will tell her to leave again and she said that that hurt so incredibly badly that she could not go through it again.

Yes I am sure she is very scared and terribly hurt.   That is also a pretty normal emotion.  You can validate it but I would strongly suggest you NOT try and fix it.   

V of C was spot on.   Focus on you, your emotions and your values, what you want, what is important to you.

Excerpt
. The thing I am confused about is whether or not her not taking more aggressive action to get back together with me is BPD or her way of trying to let me down slowly.

I think it is rather unlikely that she is trying to let you down slowly.  That's not normally how pwBPD work.   pwBPD have trouble with object consistency so out of sight is literally out of mind.   And feelings=fact, if she is feeling conflicted or upset by past events she will look soothe those emotions externally.   

I believe V of C and FF have covered the physical intimacy stuff really well, still I think there are many more nuances that you might want to turn over as you move through this.   I hope you come back and post often.   Writing has a way of clarifying our thoughts and validating our own emotions.

'ducks

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
turbo squash

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 08:21:53 AM »

Thank you formflier. That is very helpful.

You mentioned that you discussed a slightly open scenario. What did that entail? If you have an itch, do you get to scratch it with another woman? Do you have any desire to date other women? If you are okay with her scratching her itches with other females, is there a chance that you may come to resent that?

Mainly, she wanted to be free to makeout with another random girl on occasion, but she did not want to have any kind of relationship with them because she said that girls are too needy. We also talked about a threesome. I don't really have a desire to date other women, and even if I did, because of the way I like to treat my woman, I could not afford it. She doesn't seem to be opposed to be dating other people though.

I have wondered about whether or not I would come to resent her itch scratching. I'm just not sure at the moment. I was raised in a very religious household. Although I am not that way anymore, it still has lingering effects on me.

Thank you babyducks. I think that I spent many hours looking for a solution of what to do to just stop the separation, but I did not realize that I should not try to fix her fear abandonment.

How would you all suggest I approach my marriage right now? We are separated, but whenever we have spent time together in person, it has been wonderful. Some BPD traits are still evident, but it appears her therapy is working and she is working on herself a lot. We often have fun conversations via texting and often express feelings. We talk about wanting to be together, but she is still scared. What should I be doing through all of this?
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 09:18:42 AM »

What should I be doing through all of this?

Do you work with a T? 

I'm not suggesting anything is wrong with you... .I am suggesting (very strongly)... .that you take this time to sort out your values. 

No judgment here... .my values don't matter... .when you are sorting out your values.  If you come down on the side of open r/s... .you need to be able to clearly explain what that means... .so you can clearly establish boundaries around your values.  Then... .it will be up to your wife to figure out if she fits or has a home inside those boundaries.

Why is this important?  You are the "non"... .and should be the one that is able to stay closer to the baseline in the r/s... .while the pwBPD swings from one side to the other (in this case... .wants open... .wants closed... .and of course expects you to be onboard)

If both people are swinging (yeah... .I went there... .) from side to side... .and then get out of sync... .where you are saying open and she is saying closed r/s... .well... .that is going to be a mess.

I ask about a T... because sorting out those values is big work... .

Thoughts?

FF

turbo squash

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 10:00:08 AM »

Do you work with a T?  

I'm not suggesting anything is wrong with you... .I am suggesting (very strongly)... .that you take this time to sort out your values.  

I agree completely.

I just started seeing a therapist yesterday. Planning on meeting weekly until I feel like I have my head on straight again. I agree that I need to identify my values, set my boundaries, and figure out whether or not she will fit within those. If she won't fit within my boundaries, continuing a relationship with her would only lead to more pain.

What about interactions with her? NC seems like a way for the relationship to decay and fade away. I have talked to an attorney, but I started that. She hasn't spoken to an attorney or filed for divorce. She says she wants to work things out, but that she can only be friends for now.
MaroonLiquid

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 11:22:49 AM »

She says she wants to work things out... .

When my wife went through her major dysregulation a year ago, she said the same thing to my kids and I (not sure what she was telling her kids) and yet to still see her make "healthy" strides towards that (T, P, etc).  She is still wanting to play "games" and push/pull.  I'm getting more and more away from that and have an unspoken boundary for only healthy communication.  If she is unkind or ugly, I cut it off.  Not trying to scare you.  That may be what she wants (not saying my wife doesn't either), but be aware that what they say now can change.  They are bound by their unhealthiness until they choose to want healthiness.
vortex of confusion

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 11:32:06 AM »

What about interactions with her? NC seems like a way for the relationship to decay and fade away. I have talked to an attorney, but I started that. She hasn't spoken to an attorney or filed for divorce. She says she wants to work things out, but that she can only be friends for now.

I would continue to interact with her as long as the interactions are positive and healthy.

If she gets ugly with you, step away from the conversation.

Before you can make anything better, you have to figure out how to stop making it worse. Taking a time out and being friends is sometimes a good way to stop making it worse. I think I have seen it referred to as a therapeutic separation.

Earlier up in the thread, you mentioned that she wants to work things out but that she seems scared. I get the impression that you are a little leery as well. Is there a way to use both of your hesitancy as something to build a bridge between the two of you? Can you validate her fears rather than try to reassure her that you aren't going to ask her to leave again?
turbo squash

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 12:48:29 PM »

When my wife went through her major dysregulation a year ago, she said the same thing to my kids and I (not sure what she was telling her kids) and yet to still see her make "healthy" strides towards that (T, P, etc).  

Thank you for sharing. That is a valid point that you bring up.

She claims to be in therapy and she does seem to be doing better since she claims to have started therapy. She also said that she is starting medication again. Additionally, she was in therapy for several years before we met for BPD. I only recently found out that she was scared to go back to a therapist for a while because the one that she had seen for several years took a job out of state and moved away.

Vortex, I am a little scared as well. A lot of things piled up without me noticing and the idea of that happening again while knowing how she handled it this time is worrisome.

Using our mutual fears as a way of connecting is a fantastic idea. Thank you for that. I think that that would help and I am going to try to implement that.  
shatra

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 10:48:26 PM »

Hi

You wrote

She said that she just wants me to date other people, go to therapy, and enjoy my life and maybe she will be able to fix herself in time and we will be able to get back together... .maybe not.

------Why is she saying maybe and maybe not---is she unsure?

------Why does she want you to date other people? There may be a spoken reason, but an unspoken reason could be a dare/bluff, to test you, or maybe it's the push part of the push-pull?

Shatra
turbo squash

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2015, 08:16:18 AM »

Hi

You wrote

She said that she just wants me to date other people, go to therapy, and enjoy my life and maybe she will be able to fix herself in time and we will be able to get back together... .maybe not.

------Why does she want you to date other people? There may be a spoken reason, but an unspoken reason could be a dare/bluff, to test you, or maybe it's the push part of the push-pull?

Shatra

I think it is a combination of push/pull and her guilt.

One thing that has always been common throughout our marriage is that she will feel extremely guilty if she ever thinks that she is asking too much of me. If she feels that way or if I bring up something that I did for her, she will feel guilty.

I believe the root of her telling me to (not seriously) date other people is to help her feel better about herself and what she is having to do right now before she can be with me again.

I believe that she does want to be with me. We spent time together last night and she opened up emotionally to me. I held her for a little while, and we even kissed a few times. I can tell that she is in turmoil about it though and that right now, physical affection with me causes her anxiety because she cannot stop thinking about me potentially telling her to leave again.

We have spent time together on about 8 different occasions over the last 10 days. Each time it has been very positive, but not so overwhelmingly positive that it makes me think she is doing a charm. I think she is sincere about wanting to be with me but that her mind is in an all out war over whether or not the reward is worth the potential pain.

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2015, 08:35:20 AM »

How do you know she feels guilt? 

How do you go about validating that?

FF

MaroonLiquid

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2015, 08:38:04 AM »

Hi

You wrote

Shatra

Honestly, there is a very big "temptation" in pwBPD to have their cake and eat it too that goes along with the push/pull.  My wife ,at times in the past year, wants all the benefits of a marriage with none of the responsibility of being a wife.  In my wife's case, she hasn't had other relationships, so I am speaking from a different angle here.  My point is, they can sound so sweet and caring and "thinking of us" (almost flattering) that they want us to "enjoy our life" when that's not what they want.  It's self sabotage on their part and allows their victimhood mentality to remain.  She may or may not "fix" herself and I think if you do date, it will be used against you and gives her the "open door" to have other momentary "fulfilling" relationships.  When that doesn't work out, she will come back to you and re-cycle.  I hope this makes sense.  Maybe I'm off base, I don't know.  
turbo squash

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 09:59:10 AM »

How do you know she feels guilt? 

How do you go about validating that?

FF

I suppose I am taking her word for it. A few times over the last 10 days or so, we have started kissing and she pulled away trembling because of how scared and guilty she felt. Knowing how high of a libido she has always had, it appears to me that she is sincere. If she wanted to just suck me back in, she would not have to try very hard... .but she doesn't, which makes me think that she is sincere.

I tell her that I am aware of how people with her disorder fear abandonment and that I understand why she is afraid of it. I told her that I was afraid too.

Quote from: MaroonLiquid

Honestly, there is a very big "temptation" in pwBPD to have their cake and eat it too that goes along with the push/pull.  My wife ,at times in the past year, wants all the benefits of a marriage with none of the responsibility of being a wife.

I have wondered that. I have wondered if maybe I am just being used. I know that she has a fear of losing the relationship... .as most all pwBPD do.

In spite of all the progress made recently, we are still steadily moving towards divorce. She is in no hurry by any means, but she hasn't said that she wants me to call the attorney (we are only using one) and stop everything.

The thing that makes me think she is sincere is the fact that as I have been doing more nice things and we have been spending time together recently, she has been steadily offering to give me more and more in the divorce.

When she was in the middle of her episode at the start of our separation, she was constantly threatening to not give me anything. We have not been married long enough for me to have a right to anything and so she could screw me over if she wanted to. However, as she calmed down, we agreed on a deal that was generous to me and have stuck to that deal for the last several weeks.

Over the last 10 days or so as we have been spending time together again, she has been periodically agreeing to be more and more generous. Last night, because I helped her with something, she said that she would give me $10,000 - $20,000 more in the divorce. I did not ask for it, she just offered it. That makes me think that she is being sincere, because if BPD was in control, she would just be taking.

Maybe I am just being deluded though. If I am wrong, tell me.
vortex of confusion

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 10:16:56 AM »

I tell her that I am aware of how people with her disorder fear abandonment and that I understand why she is afraid of it. I told her that I was afraid too.

I really wanted to pull this out and suggest that maybe this isn't such a good approach. It sounds a bit dismissive as though her fears are the result of the disorder rather than a result of the fact that she and the person that she is married to are having problems. I think that most people in the situation the two of you are in would be afraid, leery, confused, unsure.

Perhaps a better way to bring this up would be something along the lines of, "I know that you are afraid. So am I." Don't pretend to understand her fear or assign it to her disorder.

I am not trying to pick on you. I am pointing this out to help you tweak your communication. If you want to stay, it is little stuff like this that makes a difference.

Excerpt
In spite of all the progress made recently, we are still steadily moving towards divorce. She is in no hurry by any means, but she hasn't said that she wants me to call the attorney (we are only using one) and stop everything.

Why is this her decision and her decision alone? Do YOU want to call the attorney and stop things or slow things down? You have the power to do that as well.

Excerpt
Over the last 10 days or so as we have been spending time together again, she has been periodically agreeing to be more and more generous. Last night, because I helped her with something, she said that she would give me $10,000 - $20,000 more in the divorce. I did not ask for it, she just offered it. That makes me think that she is being sincere, because if BPD was in control, she would just be taking.

The papers are not signed. Nothing is set in stone yet. Whether or not you actually get anything remains to be seen. It is possible that she will go back  and forth on what she will or won't give you in the divorce. Until the papers have been signed and an agreement has been reached, it is all just talk. It is easy to say generous things. Actually carrying them out is a whole other story.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2015, 10:47:54 AM »

I suppose I am taking her word for it. A few times over the last 10 days or so, we have started kissing and she pulled away trembling because of how scared and guilty she felt.

OK... .this is a place to be crystal clear.

Did she say she felt guilty?

Did you ask and she responded... .or did she just say?

Communication flow is difficult for pwBPD... .and for us to give proper advice... .we need a clear picture... .no assumptions.

FF

MaroonLiquid

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2015, 10:48:59 AM »

I have wondered that. I have wondered if maybe I am just being used. I know that she has a fear of losing the relationship... .as most all pwBPD do.

i truly think it has more to do with the fact that they don't know another way to cope.  They are creatures of habit, just like everyone else, just more so.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2015, 10:51:42 AM »

It sounds a bit dismissive as though her fears are the result of the disorder rather than a result of the fact that she and the person that she is married to are having problems.  

Hey... .please pay attention to what VOC is bringing up here... .

It is critical that you understand the "rules" about BPD... .but just as critical is that you LISTEN to a female point of view on how communication may be received... .

I noticed this... .and sort of took it as you "patting her on the head"... .about her BPD and assuring her it is ok.

Also... I could see someone saying they aren't like they others... .they are unique... .not lumped into a group.

Thoughts?  What was your intention by saying this... .?  (I'm guessing you were trying to be comforting... )

FF

turbo squash

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2015, 12:01:07 PM »

I really wanted to pull this out and suggest that maybe this isn't such a good approach. It sounds a bit dismissive as though her fears are the result of the disorder rather than a result of the fact that she and the person that she is married to are having problems. I think that most people in the situation the two of you are in would be afraid, leery, confused, unsure.

I used that last night and it seemed to have a positive effect. She seemed to receive it well and she reached out and held my hand after I said it. I can understand how the way I typed it might have looked one way, but when I delivered it, I was looking in her eyes and telling her that I can understand why she is scared because I am too.

Thank you for the input though. I appreciate it.

Quote from: vortex of confusion

Why is this her decision and her decision alone? Do YOU want to call the attorney and stop things or slow things down? You have the power to do that as well.

The papers are not signed. Nothing is set in stone yet. Whether or not you actually get anything remains to be seen.

That is the difficulty of the situation. I won't get in to the details of it all, but suffice it to say, if our marriage ended today, I would be -$70,000 compared to where I was at the start of our marriage. I want to slow things down, but if do and she flies off the handle again, I could be risking the payout that she is agreeing to right now. Our current agreement would put about $170,000 in my pocket.

While moving forward is NOT what I want, I'm worried that if I don't, I could be throwing away an enormous pile of money and still end up divorced anyways. We can't create any sort of agreement unless things move forward in the legal system to some extent. They can move forward and an agreement can be signed that is valid and enforceable without us getting divorced, but if we don't move forward somewhat, I won't have any kind of guarantee.

Quote from: formflier

OK... .this is a place to be crystal clear.

Did she say she felt guilty?

Did you ask and she responded... .or did she just say?

Communication flow is difficult for pwBPD... .and for us to give proper advice... .we need a clear picture... .no assumptions.

I never asked her directly if she felt guilty. I talked about waiting on her while she gets her BPD under control and she said that she feels too guilty to ask me to do that.

Originally, she only wanted a legal separation. She was willing to give me all of that money as part of the agreement. Since that point, I made some mistakes, we had a big argument, and she said that she wanted divorce. Even though things have improved drastically since then and she has said that she isn't sure anymore if she wants divorce, she still has not said anything like: "Lets slow everything down. I want to work on us." Until she decides to do that, I feel like for my own sanity, I should just proceed forward because even though she appears to want to get back together, I don't have any guarantee that we will and thus, I need to work on protecting my future until she makes up her mind.

She has said lots of things as pwBPD do. The thing that she does keep coming back to is that she loves me and wants to be with me but can't overcome the fear of me potentially telling her to leave again.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest