Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 01:50:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD girlfriend suddenly ended are relationship  (Read 342 times)
spr420
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: July 26, 2015, 08:35:02 PM »

Hi everyone, new here.  I'm 40 my ex is 38 we have known each other since High School and recently started a relationship 3 months ago.  She just suddenly out of the blue told me she couldnt have a normal relationship 3 days before a vacation we had planned and ended it.  Just went to pick my things up and she cried hysterically and told me she was just sad inside and that she is no good and I deserve better, of course I tried to comfort her and she sobbed on my shoulder but then as I'm leaving it was like she was right back to her normal self I mean no sadness in her eyes over the break-up at all.  I also have a key to her place and she still hasnt asked for it back and its been over a week, what does that mean?  I really devastated over this as we were so close and really I'm just confused as to why she would push away someone she trusted and dare I say loved.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

sweetheart

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married, together 11 years. Not living together since June 2017, but still in a relationship.

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 10:01:47 AM »

Hello spr420,

I'm really sorry that this has happened between you and your gf. Can I welcome you to bpdfamily and start by saying that what you describe in your post will be something that many members here will be able to relate to. I understand why what has happened would leave you feeling so devastated, I don't doubt you will be struggling to make sense of it all.

What brought you to this site in particular, do you believe that your gf presents with behaviours described on here. Certainly what you outline in your post can be typical of many SO's on here who become overwhelmed by close relationships and displays of intimacy, and feel the need to 'run away' sometimes emotionally, and other times quite literally because of behaviours associated with BPD.

I don't know what you still havng the key might mean, has there been any contact between you in the last week, you are posting on the Staying board, do you want to see if you can salvage the relationship/friendship?

There is plenty to learn, read and comment on by joining this forum. It is safe place that is supportive and informative.

Here is a link to get you started https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=56206

Please keep posting and let us know what is happenng so that we can support you through this.

EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 10:33:43 AM »

Hi spr420, 

I would like to join sweetheart and welcome you.

I am sorry that you are going through this.    It is very confusing and painful when someone that we love suddenly pushes us away and ends a relationship.

My person with BPD (pwBPD) has said something very similar to what your ex said. He told me that he is a horrible person and always have been that way and I deserve the best and he is not the best.

PwBPD tend to have an enormous amount of shame. Behaviorally, people who have an enormous amount of withdrawal, hide, disappear, avoid, and disguise their behavior/characteristics. PwBPD have problems regulating their emotions. When a feeling of shame is experienced, it is extremely painful for the BPD sufferer, because pwBPD are hypersensitive vulnerable to emotional stimuli. The experience of emotions has been described by Marsha Linehan (founder of DBT and former BPD sufferer) as,  “People with BPD are like people with third degree burns over 90% of their bodies. Lacking emotional skin, they feel agony at the slightest touch or movement." To thwart the physical and emotional pain associated with shame, a pwBPD will engage in maladaptive coping strategies, such as avoidance or pushing the partner away.

Shame is related to the stability of  self-image and self-loathing. Self-loathing is related to self-directed anger, self-punishment, self-disgust, and self-repulsion. PwBPD who hate themselves will self-sabotage and engage in self-destructive behavior.  One of the core features of BPD is fear of abandonment. A pwBPD who has an incredible amount of self-loathing will destroy a relationship and ultimately become a self-fulfilling prophecy of one of the things that they truly fear.  They will push you away because they do not want to hurt you further, they think that you will eventually abandon or reject them, so they leave you first, and they do not want you to see the "monster inside of them." 

Have you spoken with her since she ended it? 

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest