Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 06:39:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stuck in neutral. please help?  (Read 357 times)
Infern0

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: July 27, 2015, 05:17:47 PM »

So another couple of weeks goes by and nothing has changed.

My ex got back in contact with me again a month ago now, with the understanding that I was not interested in friendship but that I would be open to something romantic. She said she wanted to explore that too.

We met up a couple of days after contact had resumed and things got physical,  all was well or so I thought.

Right after that began the push cycle again, nothing overt but she suddenly was "busy" a lot,  texting tapered off quite a bit.

Then just over a weak ago in a moment of realness she admitted to me she is sabotaging the relationship but doesn't know why because it is what she wants.

I've just remained calm and acted unphased and understanding.  But it's getting to me.

We are at the stage now where my texts get responded to several hours later,  but if I don't text her for a day she will still initiate small talk. She wants to meet for lunch but it's impactical due to work schedules.  Any attempt to make an evening date is deflected. We live 5 minutes away from each other but don't see each other.

I have tried to set up weekend or evening stuff because I feel like we need to get back to having fun but as I say it gets blocked outright with various excuses.

I feel like giving up tbh, I mean I was happy when she admitted she was stalling things because I thought it'd lead to honest dialogue but that didn't happen. Since then she has twice texted me to tell me she's feeling very down,  But won't really talk about it and quickly exits the conversation. I do consider this slight progress as she's at least revealing those feelings to me.

Any advice or ideas?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 05:57:04 PM »

but if I don't text her for a day she will still initiate small talk.

So... I'm thinking this is the answer... .

What strategies can you build around this.?

Excellent job being nonchalant about things... .!   Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

What can you do to feel that way more "to yourself".

It will be... what it will be... .   

FF

Infern0

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 07:23:52 PM »

Excellent job being nonchalant about things... .!   Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

FF

Do you think i should pull back more, be less invested?

It's a tricky situation because everything i've learned says walk away from this situation and find someone without BPD, and that's certainly an option at this stage. I do have a genuine love for her though so i want to give her a genuine chance but there isn't much you can do in this sort of situation.

I dunno, "playing games" with someone you love like waiting ages to text them back etc just feels redundant to me, surely you should be able to be genuine
disorderedsociety

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 02:22:04 AM »

Excellent job being nonchalant about things... .!   Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

FF

It's a tricky situation because everything i've learned says walk away from this situation and find someone without BPD, and that's certainly an option at this stage. I do have a genuine love for her though so i want to give her a genuine chance but there isn't much you can do in this sort of situation.

I dunno, "playing games" with someone you love like waiting ages to text them back etc just feels redundant to me, surely you should be able to be genuine

I don't visit these boards often but come on dude, really, if it were me in your shoes I would have told her to get her self together a long time ago and left.
Infern0

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 02:50:18 AM »

Excellent job being nonchalant about things... .!   Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

FF

I don't visit these boards often but come on dude, really, if it were me in your shoes I would have told her to get her self together a long time ago and left.

Oh cool man, thanks for that, don't know why i didn't think of that before, it's all so simple

Sadly

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Very Single

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 03:24:59 AM »

What very strange advice;  to say " Get yourself together" to a person with BPD. or to anyone suffering as we all are. Inferno, you know in your heart where this is all going as do all of us who are going through it. You have made a choice to be where you are and fair play to you. Most of us have tried to work through things out of love and compassion and if you want to keep trying then good for you. If in the end you can't deal with it then this is the very best place for help and support (usually) ! Good luck to you   x

Never let someone be your priority whilst you remain their option
Infern0

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 03:57:26 AM »

What very strange advice;  to say " Get yourself together" to a person with BPD. or to anyone suffering as we all are. Inferno, you know in your heart where this is all going as do all of us who are going through it. You have made a choice to be where you are and fair play to you. Most of us have tried to work through things out of love and compassion and if you want to keep trying then good for you. If in the end you can't deal with it then this is the very best place for help and support (usually) ! Good luck to you   x

I try not to assign it to the "doomed to failure" category.

It requires tremendous effort to achieve tremendous results, i can't say if i'll be succesful or not but i give it my best shot, that's all any of us can do right.
mindwise

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 04:45:00 AM »

So another couple of weeks goes by and nothing has changed.

This is important. If you don't change and/or she doesn't change, things will stay the same.

You can only control your part of the equation, though Thought

My ex got back in contact with me again a month ago now, with the understanding that I was not interested in friendship but that I would be open to something romantic. She said she wanted to explore that too.

Good job for not accepting "let's just be friends"  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

The thing I recall from your other thread is that she pushes away and then she comes back, wants to meet and you go along (you meet on her terms). Is this correct?

If yes, then this dynamic is being reinforced as the cycle repeats.

So what could you change here? 

We met up a couple of days after contact had resumed and things got physical,  all was well or so I thought.

Of course all was well. That moment there Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Right after that began the push cycle again, nothing overt but she suddenly was "busy" a lot,  texting tapered off quite a bit.

She got triggered by something and pushed away.

If it came from you, then you can learn to identify those triggering words, gestures, conversations, etc and control them.

If it's her stuff, then don't take it personally. She has to learn to deal with it, you can't control it.

Then just over a weak ago in a moment of realness she admitted to me she is sabotaging the relationship but doesn't know why because it is what she wants.

This is very BPD. My BPDgf says it feels like being possessed, very hard to control. When things are great she feels very uncomfortable, so to return to "normal", self sabotaging is the way to go. Chaos feels familiar

I've just remained calm and acted unphased and understanding.  But it's getting to me.

Yes, staying centered is the best you can do for yourself and for the r/s. It's normal if it gets to you, though. We all have moments of weakness. Accept it and be kind to yourself. BPD is a serious mental illness.

We are at the stage now where my texts get responded to several hours later,  but if I don't text her for a day she will still initiate small talk. She wants to meet for lunch but it's impactical due to work schedules.  Any attempt to make an evening date is deflected. We live 5 minutes away from each other but don't see each other.

I agree with FF. You can implement change here (strategies).

I have tried to set up weekend or evening stuff because I feel like we need to get back to having fun but as I say it gets blocked outright with various excuses.

I understand Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

But she is not ready for that (yet).

I feel like giving up tbh, I mean I was happy when she admitted she was stalling things because I thought it'd lead to honest dialogue but that didn't happen. Since then she has twice texted me to tell me she's feeling very down,  But won't really talk about it and quickly exits the conversation. I do consider this slight progress as she's at least revealing those feelings to me.

I hear you, it feels like giving up.

Seems like she wants to open up to you but then hides again.

Any advice or ideas?

This is the staying board and my advice to you is to lower your expectations, take it sloow and start changing strategies so bad habits don't get reinforced (it's difficult, I know). Last but not least, build yourself with patience and stay centered Smiling (click to insert in post)

mw
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest