Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 07:23:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breaking the news gently?  (Read 352 times)
confounded

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend

« on: August 12, 2015, 12:04:45 PM »

I finally met with my friend. We had a great chat, and I feel that if we can keep this up, our friendship can really be improved instead of just being salvaged. We talked about jealousy, our current and past relationships, our attitudes towards sex, and about love... .in many ways it seemed like we are birds of (a somewhat ruffled) feather. Among the things she told me were how her ex often managed to push her buttons and make her rage and throw things at walls (I did meet him once and it was dislike at first sight, so I can't really blame her... .), and about her shouting match with her husband when he found about me and our unusual friendship. What I was thinking at that point was "you can't push buttons that don't exist" - how could I break it to her, tell her that maybe she should look into that part of herself? The usual consensus seems to be that you shouldn't - but she's very self-reflective and I keep thinking that maybe she could just be nudged in the right direction. Should I tell her about my suspicions about her being pwBPD, and if so, how to do it as gently as possible?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

ColdEthyl

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married 2 years

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 12:53:12 PM »

It's a fine line, one that's hard to distinguish since it varies from person to person. For me, my husband at the beginning of the r/s told me he had depression and anxiety disorder. After the 'mask' started to fall off, and he behaviors to me were more bizarre, I started doing research and discovered he was BPD to a tee. Before I knew you weren't supposed to... .I asked him if he was BPD, and at that point he admitted he was diagnosed.

Since you are saying she's self aware, and my husband is in fact self-aware, you might want to bring it up casually. Say something like, "I've been doing some research, and I came across this borderline personality disorder. What are your thoughts on that?" and kind of go from there.
OffRoad

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 01:23:13 PM »

FWIW, I don't use the "disorder" part when speaking of anyone having a Borderline Personality. It seems to make the discussion go easier. I so wish they'd come up with a better name, anyway. Something like "Heightened Emotions Syndrome" or something.
ColdEthyl

Relationship status: Married 2 years

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 01:52:20 PM »

FWIW, I don't use the "disorder" part when speaking of anyone having a Borderline Personality. It seems to make the discussion go easier. I so wish they'd come up with a better name, anyway. Something like "Heightened Emotions Syndrome" or something.

Ooo very good point. I like that better, too. Yeah... .definitely present it as "Borderline Personality".
ptilda

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 02:05:43 PM »

Really good topic! I kinda shot myself in the foot before I learned about BPD and this site, and told him that I think he's mentally ill. oops! Especially because his sister is mentally ill. But it's a bell I can't un-ring. I think he just attributes it to me having an outburst of frustration and doesn't realize I actually am convinced of it.

Actually hoping the divorce hearing will help with that . . . if the judge sees his mental unbalance, they have much more experience with suggesting mental health assistance without making it look like they're calling someone crazy... .at least that's my hope.

I wish there was literature that was made for this reason (maybe there is), along the lines of, "do you sometimes not understand your own anger? Does it seem like people are plotting against you? You're not crazy! Millions live with Borderline Personality and find hope . . . bla bla bla" Don't know if he'd read it, but if it briefly explains the signs, it would at least put the idea in his mind that there is help.
confounded

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 02:11:20 PM »

Since you are saying she's self aware, and my husband is in fact self-aware, you might want to bring it up casually. Say something like, "I've been doing some research, and I came across this borderline personality disorder. What are your thoughts on that?" and kind of go from there.

I know her friend is diagnosed with BPD (the friend told me that once - we are also friends), so perhaps I can work with that. Maybe drop that somehow the next time, or go about asking if she sees any similarity in her actions to her friends' and leave the specific issue out - that way I wouldn't have to figure out if the friend has told her about the diagnosis. I'm still a bit afraid she might take it negatively, but on the other hand, a stalled friendship where these kinds of issues are avoided isn't ultimately worth much anyway... .

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest