Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 02:40:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you know?  (Read 363 times)
SurfNTurf

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: August 13, 2015, 04:51:55 PM »

Hi there,  I've been on this Staying thread for quite some time.

I've been on the receiving end of ST for better part of one month. We are married, live in the same house, he sleeps in another bedroom and has for over a month. He does not answer my calls or texts. He does not initiate calls, texts, or conversation. He went grocery shopping yesterday... .for items he wants to eat. If I ask him a direct question, he will answer it, no more no less. He will not give me the phone number to his workplace, nor his supervisors name, to put into my HR file at work to call if I have an emergency. It is as if I could walk out of the house and never return and he would think nothing of it.

I remind myself he is dysregulating, that he has a mental health condition, and I don't even mind the alone time - I get much done. And I'm no stranger to the ST, but this has gone on longer than usual. I know they fear abandonment, but I wonder if he's trying to make me leave? How do you know when they are just STing versus wanting you to leave?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

waverider
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 05:18:31 PM »

Hi there,  I've been on this Staying thread for quite some time.

I've been on the receiving end of ST for better part of one month. We are married, live in the same house, he sleeps in another bedroom and has for over a month. He does not answer my calls or texts. He does not initiate calls, texts, or conversation. He went grocery shopping yesterday... .for items he wants to eat. If I ask him a direct question, he will answer it, no more no less. He will not give me the phone number to his workplace, nor his supervisors name, to put into my HR file at work to call if I have an emergency. It is as if I could walk out of the house and never return and he would think nothing of it.

I remind myself he is dysregulating, that he has a mental health condition, and I don't even mind the alone time - I get much done. And I'm no stranger to the ST, but this has gone on longer than usual. I know they fear abandonment, but I wonder if he's trying to make me leave? How do you know when they are just STing versus wanting you to leave?

By Leaving, this is a passive aggressive form of emotional abuse. They do not always want what they think they want. To call their bluff and show them the real consequences of their actions can be often be necessary.

You can't make him act differently, only circumstances can do that. Circumstances wont change unless you change your circumstance.

Leaving need not be permanent, but it needs to be a choice that you have, and you need to demonstrate that you have a choice as to what you will be exposed to.

I will not subject myself to being treated as a non entity This is an important boundary

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
thisagain

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 05:42:43 PM »

I hear you on wanting to know what's going on, but I don't think we can know. My guess is that he doesn't know what he truly wants either. He's just overwhelmed by the shame and fear that your relationship triggers for him.

He might think he never wants to be with you again, but if that was really what he wanted, it'd be easy enough to leave himself or make you leave.

I can't tell if you're bothered by the ST itself, as opposed to the uncertainty about his motivations. But I know that for me it really hurts to be living in the same house with someone who barely acknowledges my existence. If it bothers you, you should figure out a place to go and leave until he's ready to act like your husband again.

When my partner went through a period of extreme dysregulation, she moved out (apartment is in my name only) and we had a rule that if she was too overwhelmed to connect with me, she couldn't come over / had to leave. Then we'd just do phone calls and little coffee dates until I could sense that she was back under control. It worked really well and made me feel such relief and peace to know that I didn't have to be under the same roof with her when she was out of control.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest