Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 03:42:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to answer question?  (Read 369 times)
GreenGrover

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend

« on: August 14, 2015, 05:36:00 PM »

Technically, I'm still undecided, mostly because exbffBPD is holding the cards right now.  A few months ago, I was told not to contact her and to stay out of her life.  Then, she wrote me a letter.  A few weeks later, she texted me.  I texted her the other day.  She replied.  I replied to her, she didn't like what I had to say, so she's giving me the silent treatment again.   

I'm honestly the only person in her life who is willing to research BPD. Everyone else either doesn't know she has it or knows she has it and doesn't feel like dealing with it.

But anyway, she once asked me,  "Am I broken?" This was months ago,  and I said,  "No, of course not!"  Obviously, I invalidated her,  which wasn't good.   But after her suicide attempt,  she mentioned that her mind is broken.  This was in her letter,  so I didn't reply.  But later, I told her I want her to commit to therapy and heal her mind. But that just makes me look like I'm telling her she's crazy, so she ignores me.

If she mentions this to me again, what should I say?  I'm trying to stay in her life, even if it's from the sidelines for now.  I've seen her at her worst and am still willing to talk to her, unlike others in her life.  I'm not really painted black (if I was, she wouldn't still have my number and wouldn't give me updates on her life,  which she told me to stay out of), but I'm also no longer a friend.  It's so tough.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

HopefulDad

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorcing

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 05:53:58 PM »

I was asked by my BPDxw if she was broken and I answered the same way, "Of course not!"  Now that was before I knew about BPD, but I did answer that way to also avoid an argument.

Knowing about BPD now, if asked again, I would say something like, "The fact you are asking that question speaks volumes.  I think it would be a good idea to explore that question and why you are asking it with someone who can really help you find answers.  Someone like a therapist.  If you would like, I would be happy to meet one with you."

You don't need to make a hard sell, nor defend your statements if she gets defensive.  If she turns down the idea either peacefully or forcefully, you can simply say, "Well, if you do ever change your mind, you can always take me up on my offer to go along."

Sometimes you need to plant a seed in a pwBPD's head.  Then it's up to them to water it, give it sunshine and hopefully let it grow.

GreenGrover

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 06:04:19 PM »

Thanks for the response, HopefulDad.

It's tough being in a friendship (ex-friendship, as of now) with her because she's always chasing after someone to date.  So,  I hope I didn't blow my chance.

She was in the psych ward and said she wanted to go to therapy.  Two days later,  she went and filled out paperwork.  I don't know where she went and if they even have DBT there.  But really, it kind of seems like she looked up therapists near her and picked one.  She was in "I want to get better" mode but didn't research the best options for BPD.  She went a few times and then stopped.
HopefulDad

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorcing

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 06:24:08 PM »

It's tough.  Notice I said BPDxw.

My relationship with her has changed.  While our lives have effectively diverged, I do care about her and want her to get the help she needs... .but only if she wants it herself.  So I've resolved to be there for her in that capacity.  If she comes to me and says she wants that help, I'll do what I can.  That doesn't mean I'm going to bend over backwards, allow her to cross the boundaries I've established or give her any hint that this is a way to try and win me back if that is her ulterior motive.  I just want a healthy mother for our children and will capitalize on any opportunity she presents where she is on the road to making that happen.

You can be there for your friend without being her doormat or punching bag.  Set up some needed boundaries.  Enforce them.  Let her get the extinction bursts out of her system as you enforce them.  Maybe she never will and you will never interact with her... .until the next time she is seeking help, then you act like the true friend she needs.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest