Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 03:30:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am a newbie  (Read 356 times)
Pianist
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: August 15, 2015, 05:01:02 PM »

I have a BPD daughter who has been diagnosed just this year at age 28. She is going through a divorce and was fired from her job, so she and her dog have had to come and live with me and my husband for about the past 6 months (and the unforeseen future). She applied for disability and was turned down. It is a real challenge (which is putting it lightly, as many know). I have read Randi Kreger's book "The Essential Family Guide to Borderline Personality Disorder" and it was very helpful. My daughter has a great psychologist (once per week) and psychiatrist (once per month) who she very willingly goes to see and for that I am so thankful.

I am looking forward to the support and knowledge I can get from being a part of this group.

Thanks!

Pianist

Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 05:55:38 PM »

Hi Pianist 

Welcome to the Parenting board!  We are glad to have you here with us.

I also have a daughter, now 18 years old that was diagnosed with emerging BPD at 12 years old.  Once I knew what the issues she struggled with were I was able to understand and learn how to interact with her in a way that was beneficial to both of us and our relationship.

Most of the understanding and skills I needed are here on this site in the Tools and Lessons in the right side bar.

How is your relationship with your daughter now that she is living with you again?  Do you think her therapy and meds are working well for her?

I look forward to learning more about you and your daughter and supporting you.

lbjnltx

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
Pianist
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 10:40:09 PM »

My BPD daughter was able to move back out of our house around Sept 1st, but called me this morning, 10/6, to say she needed to move back home because the living situation she was in was not working out. My husband and I knew that was a real possibility when she moved out. It looked like a very "iffy" situation. So, once again I was up at her apartment packing boxes and carrying boxes out to our truck. I wonder how many times we'll have to do this.
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 08:40:47 AM »

Oh dear.

What is it like at home with her living with you?  Is she still attending therapy weekly and taking her meds?

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 08:55:36 AM »

Hi Pianist,

I too am curious to hear how it is with D28 living at home, and how you're doing. I'm trying to think how I would handle something like this with my son (S14). He is not BPD, tho he is a highly sensitive child with a BPD father, and struggles with other diagnoses. Mostly he seems much more susceptible to feelings of shame.

It is very positive that your D is receptive to her psychologist and psychiatrist. How is she handling the news of her diagnosis? Are there DBT programs or any Family Connections in your area?

Breathe.
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 08:10:52 PM »

Hi Pianist,

Welcome

So, once again I was up at her apartment packing boxes and carrying boxes out to our truck. I wonder how many times we'll have to do this.

I can see how that would be worrisome. I'm sorry to hear you're going through this.

It's good to hear you read Randy's book, it helps to learn as much about the disorder, learn the skills and tools and you'll become proficient over time.

Many of our members share similar experiences and can offer guidance and support. I'm glad that you have found us. It helps to talk.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest