Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 03:28:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "We are not getting back together"/ "I never said we'd never get back together"  (Read 419 times)
Mistomaple

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: August 16, 2015, 05:26:45 AM »

I posted this on the undecided board before. But now I have made a decision to stick around and see it through. I'm going to transfer all my thoughts here. I wanted others views on it.

My girlfriend and I had been seeing each other for 8 months. Things were going amazingly well until "unconscious" things started to creep into the relationship. I started to do and say things that made her feel uncomfortable without being fully aware I was doing it (my points and feelings during situations felt valid). The relationship reached breaking point one morning when I woke up to find that she had added and Ex boyfriend on Facebook and naturally it didn't sit right with me. (I felt like this guy was going to try and wedge between our relationship) which some may say is just overthinking and insecurity because I had no proof this was the case (My girlfriend stayed friends with her Ex even though she had no romantic feelings for him). Anyway, my thoughts got the better of me that day after asking her politely that I wasn't comfortable with this dude being around and I would like him deleted and kept at a distance. In response she told me that "You can't tell me who I can and can't talk to" (Which again is true. I can't). But feeling like she cared more about him than me and through trying to protect our relationship. I told her I had to leave the relationship if that was the case. That played on my mind so much that I couldn't be around it.

I later on realised what I had done and through my words I had given her an ultimatum and used emotional blackmail (Acted out of desperation, but had no intention of walking out on her). From the moment I did it, I regretted it. Knowing that abandonment and losing me was her biggest fear. The next week after that was spent beating myself up and trying to fix things. After explaining why I did what I did and what drove me to do it, she wrote me a letter.

She was just starting her BPD Therapy and told me "She know now why you did it, but the way you went about it was wrong. It was the same kind of emotional abuse my father did to me an my mother. I forgive you, but don't do it again because I won't have it."

"The reason I can't be in a relationship right now is because everytime I hurt you, I carried around this guilt. My feelings lead to fear, fear to actions, actions to hurting you, hurting you to feeling like I'm not worthy of being your girlfriend. That is why I have to be in therapy, to heal and learn how to love and depend on myself, so that I can finally let others love me. I love you so much and you're an amazing guy.I think we should remain close, no demanding of each other and no strings attached. (I asked what she meant by this and she said it doesn't mean we can flirt and start having sexual relations with other people) If I start to heal and you still have feelings for me, then I'd like to give us another shot" <-- (Shortened version)

Since then we have tried to remain close. But now we have this situations where I'm being fed mixed messages constantly. I can't make sense of it all in my brain and when I go to her and talk about it, the conversation sours very quickly. If I ask too many questions and look for answers or just trying to ask and find out what she's up to. Then I'm clingy, claiming and controlling. If I leave her alone for a day or so to do her own thing, she will message me asking why we don't talk as much anymore, saying stuff like "I guess you got over me now or what are you doing? Talking to other girls?". I feel stuck in the middle and confused about what is expected of me and what I'm actually supposed to be doing?

Even the breakup reason doesn't make sense anymore. "We broke up because you used emotional blackmail and broke our trust", "We broke up so I can be alone, focused and heal through therapy", "We broke up because you were being clingy and controlling."

I've asked her before if she would like to get back together and give it another go. She tells me "I don't know". I get she doesn't want to get back together right this moment and I am fully committed to wait for her as long as it takes because I love her and want her to succeed in her goals. But in the meantime this whole push/pull, combined with the "We're not getting back together" - "I never said we'll never get back together" - "I don't know if we'll ever get back together" is making things increasingly confusing for me to the point that I don't know if we're in this situation because she does feel I am being clingy and wants to see me evolve and improve myself or If she is waiting for change within herself first or if I'm being played with and she has no intention of returning to a relationship and just wants a buddy.

I know that is a lot to take in and I hope I haven't confused anybody too much Laugh out loud (click to insert in post). I will expand on things if needed. The reality of the situation is we're both as guilty as each other I guess... .
Mistomaple

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 05:29:03 AM »

We have been broken up for almost a month now. I have already made it pretty clear to myself that I do want to stick around and see what happens. I do have times where I feel anxious that she will fall off her path, find a new relationship and start the cycle all over again while I mercilessly watch from the sidelines. I should have mentioned before, but our 8 month relationship was a LDR which makes the current situation harder for us. Recently we have been in this pattern of having peaceful friendly conversations drift off into the realm of our broken relationship, which brings with it a bunch of mixed messages, blame and confusion. In the end it just leaves both of us hurt, confused and not better off. I feel my own pestering about the relationship and asking too many questions (Looking for clarity) does more harm than good (I get called controlling, clingy and claiming). I do get anxious about the future of our relationship and if we'll ever reach the reconciliation point at all.

I made a video for myself. Coming to terms with the unconscious harm I was doing to our relationship through insecurities. Taking responsibility for my side of the problems and only my side. Had a cry to myself and left the video for a few days. Eventually after a talk I got the courage to show it to her. I'd like to share the response I got:

"I hate to see you being so sad... .I really don't know what to say. All I want is for you to be happy. The fear when we were together just got too much. In the beginning I still had some control over it, but eventually none at all, and it was destroying me. I fought it so hard but it made me a completely different person. I couldn't enjoy life anymore. I just became someone else entirely"

"I had to make that stop or it  would take me down completely. As much as I want to, I don't have any answers now and I can't make promises. Because the future is just as uncertain for me as it is for you. But keeping you on a leash and giving you a bunch of maybes is not gonna make you happier. That's not fair to do"

"My feelings and emotions are just as unstable as a volcano that's about to erupt. So what I feel now might not be what I feel tomorrow or next month. That's the reason why I can't give you certainties. Because it would be lying"

I told her that I'm just a man in love and as selfish as it sounds. I don't want to stand there holding my heart out for you and then see you with another man. It's the ultimate pain wanting someone back and them not wanting you and being with someone else. That I didn't have to explain it. She knew this feeling. (Break up with her first real boyfriend when she was younger. He didn't want her back and went with another girl)

She replied "I do. But I'm not gonna make any promises about that. Because that's not how life works. I'm not interested in anyone. I'm not looking for anyone"

I have the deepest respect for that girl and the steps she has taken, the evolution she has started to go through. Meanwhile I still feel like I'm trying to guide the future and control and outcome for myself. It makes me feel so bad that my anxiousness and emotions make me do this.

I have started to see a therapist and have made the decision to take a step back and try to take my hands off the situation. Though I'm still struggling to find my place in the present.

an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 09:56:45 AM »

Hi Mistomaple,

and welcome to the Staying board. It is good that you are seeking help for yourself, from what you wrote it sound like the past months have taken a toll. Don't beat up yourself too harshly about your insecurities. After getting so mixed messages all so strongly who would not be confused and insecure  . Of course that insecurity is not helpful that is true too. Taking a step back and sorting our yourself makes sense!

She is certainly also confused and afraid of getting closer for various reasons - abandonment, hurting someone and simply dealing with all the emotions that come with being close.

You'll find the LESSONS of some help. Boundaries can help to protect you from being emotionally hurt - having a clear idea of your values and the level you feel save to engage knowing her instability. Validation helps to build a healthier and deeper connection. The board is also a good place to ask for feedback. The shorter posts usually evoke more and longer responses. But then long intro posts have their benefits too  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Welcome,

a0

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
Mistomaple

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 10:35:46 AM »

Thank you so much. Thought I'd get the meat of it out at the beginning.

The past few days have been interesting. Before we would have all this back and forth confusion, her changes in feeling (Warm and Close and then Cold and Distant). As I said, the past few days have turned into no contact at all, though neither of us initiated NC. This was good because I did not have to make any rash decisions and didn't feel on the spot, which gave me a few days to think about myself and where I wanted to be presently. Yesterday and today I did start reaching out a little and we did talk in very small and brief bursts. It still seems a little strange after everything that has happened emotionally the days prior, everything has suddenly become quiet and "normal" pretty much overnight. I was expecting that she would still be checking up on me and asking what I was doing or some form of contact while I was dealing with myself.

Kudos to her for dealing with everything so well on her own. Though it does seem a bit too well done.
Mistomaple

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 10:29:15 AM »

Last night was the ultimate death blow for me. A simple conversation where I said that I would stick around and wait it out as a support to her. I only wanted two things for myself. 1. To not be labelled as "friend" and tossed into the friendzone before she had decided 100% and the second that if her feelings did take change and she started flirting or engaging in serious/casual relations, that I be informed of it so I can adjust my distance.

She could not give me these things. Saying that since we're both single, we could engage in that stuff (Knowing full well that if I ever even mentioned any notion of it. I'd feel her wrath). I wasn't preventing her from doing anything, I only wished to be warned so I could back off. The reply was "That is personal and none of your business". Which is true, but my feelings are still high and that is something that would have hurt me.

The conversation continued and pandoras box finally opened on me. She told me that she didn't think she'd ever want me back and that we should stop talking. She no longer wished for a LDR in general and all the things that she told me before was just to ease my hurt. "An Ex is an Ex. There is no going back because it doesn't work"

I could not believe my ears. That she would feed me this hope and tell me she wouldn't be engaging with men and relationships and instead focus on her therapy, giving me these senses of comfort and it meant nothing. She just wanted me as a friend to chat with now and again and at the same time was open to going and sleeping with other men for fun.

I didn't know what to say. I told her have to go and blocked further messages. How is staying an option now when everything I strived towards has been ripped from my hands?
shatra

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 10:57:14 AM »

Mistomaple wrote

I told her if her feelings did take change and she started flirting or engaging in serious/casual relations, that I be informed of it so I can adjust my distance.

----Would you feel jealous over that? Wouldn't you want to be with her and have the other person not be with her? How would you cope with her being with someone else, and then you return to her later? Just curious.

----She was doing the push pull, and now she said she doesn't want to talk toyou, and that an ex is an ex. This would be clear from a non-BPD, but coming from a BPD, she is very likely to switch in the future and want to contact you/restart another cycle with you again... .is there a reason you think this time she is definitely ending it with you?

Shatra
Mistomaple

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 12:17:23 PM »

Hi Shatra.

Yes. In my current state this would be a blow for me. For me personally the idea of me pouring my heart and soul into wanting a second chance and feeling like some random stranger she'd probably walk away from in a month is worth more of her time than the man that actually loves her does feel out of place and hurts me. I based what I said off the fact that I want to be close, but at the same time I'm healing too and can't afford to be suddenly slapped across the face with something like that without warning.

As for the reason I believe it's ending this time is just the straightforward nature she put things after all those weeks of confusion. For that moment it almost like she knew what she wanted and I was no longer part of it.

Everything has been detaching since the split. She has quit games we used to play together, drifted out of contact on her own, discarding things that meant something to us in our relationship. She has a tattoo she got done for me on her arm and she said she's having it removed. It feels like I'm being scrubbed from existence along with every memory.
Mistomaple

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 06:36:54 AM »

Just an update on what's going on. I had my Ex blocked on messenger and FB since our last conversation that left me defeated. I wrote her an e-mail today:

"I think I owe some sort of explanation for our own peace. I think we both do need time apart. I thought we could still be close and heal at the same time, but that just doesn't seem possible for me right now as I still have a lot of healing and letting go to do, my feelings are still strong and I keep just hurting myself and you. We can't be close, at least not now and I'm not sure what the future holds."

"I was unhappy that feelings and thoughts were being kept from me. I can see that your feelings and emotions can be confusing to your sometimes and change a lot and it sounds really painful and tough to endure. I know it was done to try and ease the pain I was going through. But having feeling changes for 2 weeks and keeping things like that from me only prolonged my pain and stopped me from healing and that was wrong to do no matter the reason. I forgive you for this."

I love you

She replied shortly after telling me to stop e-mailing/contacting her or she'll block of e-mail address.

Why wouldn't she just block it right away instead of threatening to block it?

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest