Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 07:42:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi, Im struggling to breathe.  (Read 345 times)
Matt86
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: August 16, 2015, 05:40:11 PM »

Where do I begin?

Hi my name is Matt. I guess thats as good a starting point as any.

Let me start by saying that my ability to recall details is pretty good but for some reason my ability to recall timelines and dates is horrible. There may be incongruity and remembering things later Laugh out loud (click to insert in post).

I started dating my now wife in 2009. We have been married for almost 5 years now, and it is a recent (in the last couple years really) realization she most likely has BPD. As Im sure most of you know this can be an elusive diagnosis so it has changed a couple times between this and bi-polar However due to my own research I dont think its any question (and she agrees) that is is BPD. However this is complicated by PTSD from being raped the year before we started dating, Hypo-thyroidism, and various other physical ailments.

The cause of her mental health issues is no mystery, the PTSD is, as I said, from a rape. And the BPD is from physical, sexual, and emotional abuse growing up. (I know this is a lot of intimate details but I dont plan on sharing her name and I figure Im pretty anonymous.)

I will continue by saying I am not perfect, and I admit to not being the perfect spouse early on. I easily was overcome by her mental issues (at the time ptsd and diagnosed as bi-polar) an would get frustrated and argue and yell and fight. I would say I was sick of her issues and lying and exasperated things more than helped. This was not all the time, I dont want to sound abusive I wasnt but the extent of the issues was not known and I did not handle them well although I did try to work on things. There was a lot of fighting over stupid things, a lot of pushing me away and hiding from me emotionally, and a LOT of lying. It was not good for either of us and had more bad days than good around the 2-3 year mark of our marriage.

She did eventually get her self into therapy and was diagnosed with BPD and was working on things but when I talked to her about it she would just not want to discuss it at all or inform me of things that she basically was just not really disclosing everything with the therapist or making any headway. This would frustrate me because she would continue to lie to me be angry with me all the time over little things, yell at me. And things just never felt right with us anymore and I was worried about cheating at this point. Well all of this culminated in one very bad, VERY stupid fight, in the beginning of last year. She wanted me to go out with a friend saying she wanted me to have time to go out and relax I didnt want to, she was very insistent and devolved into rage over it. Well after the fight she goes to take a bath to relax and something about her attitude gets me worried. (she also has a history of cutting and had to be taken to the ER during all the fighting for cuts, I think the previous month or so.) So I go to the bathroom to check on her and hear her jump in front of the door and hold it shut. Now I know what happening. So I convince her to let me in, and sure enough the floor has blood on it and she has a towel wrapped around her arm, holding her phone. I get the phone from her and call my dad to come watch the kids while I take her to the ER. At this point she starts wanting the phone back and I dont think anything of it but say dont worry about it I have it. Then she becomes irate about the phone and Im pretty sure I know whats going on. Eventually while driving to the ER she "confesses" that she wants the phone because she was talking to a friend about how she wants a divorce. And my heart sinks. I get her to the ER and try to take care of her there best I can even though she has at this point ensured me she wants a divorce and cant b with me anymore. Eventually I leave her there, patched up but with the mental health people coming to take her to the mental health unit. I go home knowing I just lost my wife. the next few months consist of times of being kind and wanting to be friends, and fits of rage that she will not let me take the kids from her. (at this point I was not allowing the kids to be with her alone.) She got an apt in the next town over where she attended school. A new car. She started a new life. Requiring me to be part of it so the kids could see her. Luckily they were young enough that they didnt understand us being separated. Sadly they were old enough to miss mommy and let me know this as I lay awake with them at night crying.

Sorry this is so long, but I figured I might as well fully explain my self here and vent it all.

So after some time of this absolute torture, feeling like my heart is going to explode, physically hurting. she breaks it to me that she has been cheating on me. Turns out she has been cheating on me for a while with her "friend"... .my boss. So this resulted in me having to change to a new job in Walmart and take a pay cut so I didnt have to see his face as much. I find this out when we meet for her to give me the divorce papers. Well at this time I didnt know it was my boss this was lied about at the time, but it was over and she wanted me to know if I wanted to sign the papers that was fine but if not she wanted to work on things. This is where things get convoluted. It was a roller coaster of working things out, then oh Ive been cheating this whole time with multiple people, then I want a divorce again. At this point I finally gave in. I made it clear how much it killed me and how much I loved her and how I knew this was all being caused by the issues in her head but that I wasnt fighting anymore. Soon after this she came to the house to spend time with the kids and after we put them to bed she was leaving and we started talking and she was apologizing for everything. And telling me how she missed me. One thing lead to another and she stayed the night... .I thought things were on the mend. We started "dating" again to try and fix things. eventually she started staying a our place again. And then she left her facebook open and I saw messages with one of the guys she cheated on me with, the one that was a continuous thing not a one night stand. And this caused a huge fight and she wasnt sure it would work again because she didnt want to give him up. (I am convinced this was all caused by the BPD the fear of losing people even though it was this other guy she couldnt let him go.) 3 or four times this happened I would find out about her talking with this guy she would say she wasnt sure then she would break down and be so sorry and she hates her self for hurting me. Until the last time I saw any messages when I said enough is enough and gave her a choice. Be with me or leave. She said she didnt know that she loved him, she didnt love me but didnt want to hurt the kids. We didnt really talk for three days when she broke down. She did decide to stay showed me she blocked him and we started really working on things from there.

That was about a year ago. And really Things have been better and better. They started rough of course but in the last few months have been great. Now things are getting worse again. She says she doesnt know why and she loves me and I am so supportive (I am now I try to do everything I can) but she is angry over nothing all the time. She is going back to therapy and the doctor has prescribed her medication. Things still are pretty good most days. We had two days off together this past week (we usually have one or none together due to our schedules) And it was great, we did all kinds of stuff as a family and just the two of us. And our sex life has never been better. However, today, it was a bad day. Her main issue most days is feeling overwhelmed, like the whole world is crushing in on her, over nothing but that part of the BPD. Her empathy is off the charts as well. She feels everything SO deeply, real or not. But the other issue is even though she is so empathetic she is so callous to me. I am the one she takes everything out on, I am the one she is always so angry with over nothing all the time. Today she woke up overwhelmed She works overnights Saturdays so she wakes up as I get ready to leave for work in the afternoon. She woke up angry with me and being pissy with me. So I went away left her alone for a bit then when I was leaving went to talk to her again and at first she just said she was tired then said she didnt know what was wrong she just felt overwhelmed and angry. I ended up asking her if she is cheating on me. It was a mean question to ask outright but I get so worried and stressed especially with her getting upset more lately like before she left. She insisted no and broke down into tears and said she didnt know what was wrong and she doesnt blame me for not trusting her and she is so sorry. And I asked her if I needed to worry about her tonight while Im at work and she didnt know. So I told her if she needs me just let me know and I will leave early if I have to.

It is just such an exhausting experience being with someone with not only BPD but PTSD and other issues. I love my wife. Marriage is forever in my mind it doesnt matter how bad the issues are I will not leave my wife. But the stress and emotional mental exhaustion is really getting to me. I have no idea what I expect to get out of this but I felt I needed to vent it all out someplace where people would understand.

P.S.

Yes my wife cheated on me and things were horrible, No I am not going to hate her and leave her. I do have huge trust issues now and I worry shes cheating on me for no reason now. And constantly scared she will leave me, and its hard. But I am not leaving my wife, so please dont come in telling me how I just need to leave her thats not my answer, thanks.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

babyducks

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 04:54:21 AM »

Hi Matt

Welcome to bpdfamily.

You have come to a good place where people truly understand what you are going through.  As you browse around the boards you will likely find a lot of stories very much like yours.   As you wander around the boards make sure to visit The Lessons  which are found on the right hand side of the screen.

The Lessons really are the place to start, they have been a great help to me in my relationship.  Like you my partner has been diagnosed with Bipolar.   From what you have written, it seems that unlike you, Bipolar 1 was a correct diagnosis for my partner as she has many of the classic traits of Bipolar including hypomania.   

From my experience, it seems  pretty common for BPD to be comorbid with another diagnosis.  Almost anything on the B-Complex.

On the top of this board is a locked topic called Loving a BPD Spouse, Girlfriend, Boyfriend,  this quote is from there, and it is about the purpose and the guidelines of this board.

Excerpt
Objective: To improve the quality and safety of your day to day family interactions. 

General Approach: The approach is four-fold: 1) to understand the fundamental struggles of a person with BPD and the challenges that this disorder brings to a relationship; 2) to understand our role in the relationship problems;  3) to learn tools and techniques to help in day to day interactions; and  4) to learn healthy and constructive ways to develop ourselves outside of the relationship.

A relationship with a borderline requires a great deal of strength - the healthy partner must assume the role of emotional caretaker or emotional leader in the relationship. This requires strength, understanding, knowledge and patience. Self-care provides us strength, understanding connects us, knowledge guides the our behavior through which we affect others and determines what is perceived. Patience and time are on our side.

Additional Guidelines for this Board: Please read the community guidelines (see link at the bottom of every thread). The following guidelines are also in effect for this board:

•Please do not urge participants to exit their relationship. Members post here to find solutions to difficult relationships. Please allow them the opportunity.

•Please do not use this board as a place to complain about your partner without seeking constructive relationship advice.  We are here to find solutions.  It is a given that  our partners are difficult.

•We are not victims and this board is not about right and wrong. Please do not  take sides in couples disputes or seek to have other members agree, support or defend your position in your relationship disputes.  This will only serve to polarize matters in your real life and make resolution further out of reach.

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=56303.0

It sounds like maybe you could use some support with number 3 to learn tools and techniques to help in day to day interactions, for when those bad days come?  You are absolutely right, it can be exhausting to be in relationship with a pwBPD (person with BPD).   It can be hard to healthy and constructive ways to take care of ourselves.

We definitely can help.  Keep coming, keep posting, writing things out can help a lot, and work your way slowly through the lessons.

'ducks

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
Matt86
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 06:47:54 PM »

Thank you for the response. Yea I do think tools for the day to day would be helpful. I find my self getting more and more overwhelmed. At the same time I am doing better at being supportive and being there for her, she says so everyday almost. But At the same time I feel like Im going underwater the more I try to help her. This is why Im here I feel like just a place to get out what is going on and get feedback from people who understand will be a big help.
babyducks

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 04:35:45 AM »

Hi Matt,

It makes a great deal of sense that you would find yourself getting more and more overwhelmed.   It's completely natural.  I think we have all been there from time to time.

What I found for myself is that the more I tried to support my partner, the more I tried to soothe her, the more soothing she needed.   It's a funny catch 22 about BPD, that they have difficulty regulating their own emotions and look to regulate externally.   Once they find a source, the clinical term for an external source of soothing, the source tends to become overworked, and then eventually collapse.  

What we here do is suggest you validate.   Here is the link to Validation 101.   It takes some practice.  You'll see members practice here.   I used to practice on people at work (I didn't tell them I was practicing)

https://bpdfamily.com/content/communication-skills-validation

I found a little bit of validation goes a long way, and it isn't as exhausting for me.   Validating is not agreeing.   It is finding something to acknowledge about how they feel.

jump right into any thread that looks interesting to you -

'ducks

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
specialized

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 10:39:54 AM »

Hi Matt , hopefully the fact that your wife is aware of a problem will be a blessing towards peace for both of you .  Everything on this site is great information and there is a lot of support I am new to the site as well. i have been married to my BPD spouse for 20 years and this site has opened my eyes a bit to a better perspective of my relationship. all the best keep reading and watching videos and asking questions.
MaroonLiquid

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 11:29:22 AM »

hello matt.  sorry you are here.  It can feel overwhelming at times and can also feel like the mountain is too big to overcome.  The tools do help.  Focus on your own well-being.  That is a blessing that your wife is self-aware and acknowledges her issues.  I believe my wife is as self-aware as she can be, but won't acknowledge them publicly and deal with them.  RIght now, the best advice I can give is read the lessons and focus on yourself.  Lead your spouse to a healthier r/s with you.  Whether she follows is up to her, but you can make the right decision.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest