Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 05:43:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Temptation?  (Read 397 times)
ptilda

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: August 17, 2015, 01:44:14 AM »

Married and truly committed nons share a devotion unparalleled by much of the world. We understand commitment and fidelity are real choices.

But what about temptation? The friend comes to talk and you had a couple of glasses of wine. I want a social life too. I want to be held. How do I deal with this? How do I not be a hypocrite?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 05:58:37 AM »

Married and truly committed nons share a devotion unparalleled by much of the world. We understand commitment and fidelity are real choices.

But what about temptation? The friend comes to talk and you had a couple of glasses of wine. I want a social life too. I want to be held. How do I deal with this? How do I not be a hypocrite?

Realize that you are having these feelings... .realize it is normal to have those feelings in your situation.

Consider your values... .

Then build boundaries to support those values.

Boundaries are for others... and ourselves... .

Critical... to have values first... .then boundaries...   Less chance of boundaries shifting that way...

FF

Cole

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 06:28:47 AM »

With FF on the values.

I have been there myself earlier this year. W had not wanted to be intimate in almost a year and a business associate made it very clear she was available with no strings attached. I knew W would never find out, but I would always know and have to live with myself. My values stopped me from doing something I would have regretted.

What is worse in your mind? The loneliness or the knowledge you have done something you will always regret?   
MaroonLiquid

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 08:24:16 AM »

Realize that you are having these feelings... .realize it is normal to have those feelings in your situation.

FF is right here.  I have had these feelings at times lately also.  They are just that.  Feelings.  Feelings that lead to momentary gratification.  That momentary gratification could destroy anything you are trying to build.  pwBPD do not trust anyone so you are cementing that in them if they find out. 

Consider your values... .

My values state:  I want to have a fulfilling marriage with my wife.  I have to make decisions everyday that support and show that.

Then build boundaries to support those values.

This is one reason I continue to wear my wedding ring even if she doesn't.  It is a constant reminder of the covenant I made with her and God.  It shows her I value that covenant.  It shows other people that I value that covenant. 

Boundaries are for others... and ourselves... .

Critical... to have values first... .then boundaries...   Less chance of boundaries shifting that way...

FF

By wearing my wedding ring, I am living my value of "valueing my marriage and preferring my wife over all others."  My thing is that if a woman is ok sleeping with me when they know I'm married, then more than likely, they don't value boundaries at all and it's much easier to not do it. 

With FF on the values.

I have been there myself earlier this year. W had not wanted to be intimate in almost a year and a business associate made it very clear she was available with no strings attached. I knew W would never find out, but I would always know and have to live with myself. My values stopped me from doing something I would have regretted.

What is worse in your mind? The loneliness or the knowledge you have done something you will always regret?   

Loneliness sucks.  Those moments where I just want to hold my wife, be intimate with her, tell her how much I love and care for her, and yet can't, SUCK.  No way around it.  One night with someone else won't cure it, in fact, it will make the loneliness set in more because you are left with a "secret" that you can't share and have to hide. 

My wife obviously feels lonely enough for the both of us.  I don't want that in my own life.   I actually like going to bed at night with a clear conscience.  The thing that both of us admit, is being physical with one another is extremely satisfying and we are great together.  Frankly, that means more to me than one night with someone else.  period.
ptilda

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 03:42:25 PM »

Good advice. I'm curious that all the answers seemed to be a definite "don't do it!" I'm sure more than a few people on this board have at least in some way or another succumbed to such temptation. I've never had a problem being tempted in this way. But I think the hurt that I'm feeling is making me feel like this is a way to "get back at him" without him knowing. Twisted, I know. But that's where we are, right?

Not excusing it. And yes, I'm devoted to my husband. But the temptation is real.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 04:08:19 PM »

There are some on these boards that are ok with poly relationships and some that aren't... .

That is one of those life things that YOU have to figure out... .because you are the one that has to look at yourself in the mirror and be happy with the decisions that you make. 

Doing something to "get back" at someone usually backfires... .because they will then get back at you... and the DRAMA builds...

So... figure out your values... .skip the advice on values... .we can give advice on "tactics" to support those values.

Why skip advice on values?  Well... some things are such a big deal in life that you have to figure them out for yourself... .and then stick to it.

If the only reason that you are faithful in marriage is because FF advised you to be... .well... to me that's not a good reason...

FF

Cole

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 07:08:02 PM »

Not excusing it. And yes, I'm devoted to my husband. But the temptation is real.

Sounds to me you have already made up your mind and are strong enough to do what you feel is right. And that is what counts- what you feel is right. 

If the only reason that you are faithful in marriage is because FF advised you to be... .well... to me that's not a good reason...

FF

I don't know... .I bought something this weekend because FF advised me to and it worked out just fine.

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 07:26:12 PM »

I don't know... .I bought something this weekend because FF advised me to and it worked out just fine.

Smiling (click to insert in post)   Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

ptilda

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 10:16:51 PM »

Ha! humor helps for sure.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest