Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 03:40:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice, help, Insight..  (Read 367 times)
Icemanyz450f
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: September 03, 2015, 11:02:58 PM »

Im in the midst of a trainwreck of sorts. my Girlfriend has BPD and is just now starting DBT therapy for it. The last two years have been such a rollercoaster of good and bad times, but mostly marred by lies, deceit and manipulaition... Shocking isnt it? Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)... I am still in this relationship becasue I believe there is a good human being in there somewhere, and I want her to escape the "shell cell" that is DBT and find true self worth and happiness for herself, and I have been her only source of support through all of this. SO... Catch 22 is an understatement. I know that there are hundreds more of you folks out there that this sounds all too familiar to, SO I would like some of your insights, ideas, and opinions as to weather or not its worth the time, trouble, and effort to keep persuing this relationship... Ill be glad to share details, so dont be afraid to ask... Thanks in advance for your help and or encouragment
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 12:13:59 AM »

Hello Icemanyz450f,

Welcome

As my therapist said, no matter how hurtful and foolish my Ex was, she was still a human being. Though you're frustrated, it's good that you see that. Have you seen the lessons to the right of the board? Its a let of info on BPD, and Lesson 3 has communication tools which can help reduce conflict with a BPD sufferer.

What do you mean by the shell cell of DBT? Do you think it's not helping, or maybe she's just going through the motions?

Turkish

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 04:23:40 AM »

Hi  Icemanyz450f,

the start of therapy can be a confusing time for everyone involved.

Turkish had a good question on how you see it, I'm curious too  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Welcome,

a0

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
Icemanyz450f
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 04:48:03 PM »

Im in the midst of a trainwreck of sorts. my Girlfriend has BPD and is just now starting DBT therapy for it. The last two years have been such a rollercoaster of good and bad times, but mostly marred by lies, deceit and manipulaition... Shocking isnt it? Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)... I am still in this relationship becasue I believe there is a good human being in there somewhere, and I want her to escape the "shell cell" that is DBT and find true self worth and happiness for herself, and I have been her only source of support through all of this. SO... Catch 22 is an understatement. I know that there are hundreds more of you folks out there that this sounds all too familiar to, SO I would like some of your insights, ideas, and opinions as to weather or not its worth the time, trouble, and effort to keep persuing this relationship... Ill be glad to share details, so dont be afraid to ask... Thanks in advance for your help and or encouragment

What I meant to say was "Purgatory Cell" Of BPD... Not The SHell Cell of DBT... LOL!  good grief , the autocorrect on my phone does some weird things, but that had to be the weirdest of all... SO sorry guys... Yes I looked at the Lessons on the right of the column here, and IM so glad that there is this kind of support and info available...   SO. what I meant by the phrase "purgatory cell" comment was that it just seems that, when left untreated, BPD never allows the person with it to become who they are supposed to, or are capable of, becoming... It almost holds them in purgatory until true professional therapy can improve their lives.

maxsterling

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: living together, engaged

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 04:58:01 PM »

Hmm.  Purgatory.  My wife was diagnosed many years ago.  She's been hospitalized many times, been in extensive therapy, DBT, and many other therapies.  Yet, she easily still meets all criteria for BPD.  On the plus side, she no longer uses drugs.  So the therapy and DBT gave her that.  On the negative side, she's still stuck in this phase where her identity hasn't blossomed.  Is this what you mean by purgatory?

Living with/dating a person with BPD will test the very limit of your patience.  It's not for the weak.  My best advice is to learn to accept it rather than expect change.  About all you can hope for is that she continually works on herself and doesn't give up. 

Ceruleanblue

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 10:57:27 PM »

From my experience, with my BPDh, DBT seemed to escalate things for a short time, then they smoothed out and actually got better for a while. Now, about 6-8 months in, things have gotten worse again, and he's clearly not using any of the DBT and is just going through the motions by attending. He has papers he should be reading from DBT, and I know he quickly reads it right before T just so he can say he did. That sort of isn't how it's supposed to work.

I think if the pwBPD is serious, and does the work, and wants to get better(instead of just blaming others, which is still what BPDh is doing), then DBT can really, really help. I just wish my BPDh would get back in the place he was in where he was taking it seriously.

If you've already survived the roller coaster, chances are things are going to get a lot better with her in DBT.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest