Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 02:37:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Undiagnosed BPD or bipolar?  (Read 374 times)
Butterfly12

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« on: September 14, 2015, 04:29:50 AM »

All along I have been assuming my husband is undiagnosed borderline, but after a visit with my own shrink recently she made the suggestion that he might be bipolar. I know without seeing him she cannot fairly make a diagnosis, but the very idea scares me... .and I don't exactly know how this difference would need to change in my current dealings with him. I understand they are both trouble, but from what she says bipolar is significantly more dangerous to all involved. Does anyone here have any insight? I would really appreciate some... .Thanks... .
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

waverider
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 08:08:22 AM »

All along I have been assuming my husband is undiagnosed borderline, but after a visit with my own shrink recently she made the suggestion that he might be bipolar. I know without seeing him she cannot fairly make a diagnosis, but the very idea scares me... .and I don't exactly know how this difference would need to change in my current dealings with him. I understand they are both trouble, but from what she says bipolar is significantly more dangerous to all involved. Does anyone here have any insight? I would really appreciate some... .Thanks... .

Bipolar is a mood disorder, generally longer mood swings, not always related to obvious triggers. It is more treatable with medications. BPD is a personality disorder and not directly treated with medications. Mood and emotion swings can happen suddenly in response to circumstantial triggers.

This meanswith BPD you can be the source of BPD triggers more readily. Which also means you can change you more so that you can limit the effect on you. With bipolar you are less of a trigger so there is less you can personally do to affect it.

As far as danger is concerned I would have thought BPD would be the worse as the reactions can come out of nowhere very quickly without warning. Though that is probably generalizing too much.

Often various disorders can be overlapping. It is not always cut and dry

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
babyducks

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 04:55:30 AM »

Hi Butterfly12

Short version of the story; my partner is diagnosed with both Bipolar 1, and emotion dysregulation disorder.

Waverider is correct in everything he wrote.

My partner's bipolar is well controlled with medication, she is religious about taking it and committed to therapy.  She has identified her triggers for the bipolar.   And after years I have been able to identify the subtle nuances and differences between the bipolar and the EDD.   Disruptions to sleep and schedule will trigger hypomania in my partner.

, but the very idea scares me... .

and I don't exactly know how this difference would need to change in my current dealings with him. I understand they are both trouble, but from what she says bipolar is significantly more dangerous to all involved.

would you like to say more about what scares you about the bipolar?  Is your husband in some kind of treatment right now?   And I am curious about the statement significantly more dangerous to all involved, perhaps you could expand on that too?

'ducks

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
Butterfly12

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 07:08:02 AM »

My husband is not in any treatment right now. None. And is not taking antidepressants any longer either.

What scares me about the idea of bipolar is that although he is currently living with his mother, when she eventually leaves, he will be responsible for our children completely alone for the time he has them. He and I have been separated for two years. He will only consider healing our marriage if I accept complete responsibility for all that has happened between us. Even then, he is not sure.

What scares me is he blinks in and out of reality. With out treatment of any kind, I do not trust him to leave my children with him. They are not safe. What concerns me more then anything else is that he refuses to admit a problem of any sort, which means there is no change now. None. Nothing has progressed for two years. And he does see that, but says it is completely my doing.

babyducks

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 05:36:22 AM »

Hi Butterfly12

Yes, that would scare me too.

What scares me is he blinks in and out of reality. With out treatment of any kind, I do not trust him to leave my children with him. They are not safe.

Safety first.   Always.   How old are your kids? 

When he blinks in and out of reality, what happens?

Do you have any child protection services in place now? 

It's good that your therapist is working with you.   And that you are taking care of yourself.   Is there a plan in place for when his mother leaves?

'ducks

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest