Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 16, 2024, 04:26:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it patronizing to praise BPD behavioral improvements?  (Read 415 times)
budi.sudaryo

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: September 16, 2015, 05:44:53 PM »

Hello,

Is it a good idea to praise someone with BPD like,

"You did great by waiting for yourself to calm down before speaking to me."

"I appreciate your apologizing for the unkind words."

I'm just afraid it'd sound patronizing to them. FYI, this person is aware of her BPD and currently in DBT.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Raska
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 06:56:53 PM »

I think it is a wonderful idea, as we all need acknowledgement from time to time that our efforts are appreciated. However, I feel it's important to be mindful of not overpraising and not making a big deal out of it, or it may in fact sound patronising (or fake), as you mentioned. Personally, I usually make a semi-casual and brief statement and say something like "By the way, thank you for your apology. It means a lot."  And then something like "Love you." and a tight hug or a peck on the cheek. Then I go about my business.Smiling (click to insert in post)

I guess this would also depend on the situation, the amount of effort exerted and in which circumstances. For me, it's important to find the balance between communicating my appreciation but not making him feel like I am watching his every move.
an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 11:06:09 AM »

Hi budi.sudaryo,

this is a good question and my gut feel is similar to yours and I would say - the examples you are giving are patronizing.

I think it is a wonderful idea, as we all need acknowledgement from time to time that our efforts are appreciated. However, I feel it's important to be mindful of not overpraising and not making a big deal out of it, or it may in fact sound patronising (or fake), as you mentioned. Personally, I usually make a semi-casual and brief statement and say something like "By the way, thank you for your apology. It means a lot."  And then something like "Love you." and a tight hug or a peck on the cheek. Then I go about my business.Smiling (click to insert in post)

I guess this would also depend on the situation, the amount of effort exerted and in which circumstances. For me, it's important to find the balance between communicating my appreciation but not making him feel like I am watching his every move.

Exactly, fake is no good and invalidating and btw. Welcome Raska. As you say avoiding that the pwBPD feels controlled is important. Physical contact combined with a well targeted validating message can often be a powerful move  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

The way I see this is the pwBPD is working through changes. These are difficult changes, some are painful and some other are just darn difficult as they go against all their long developed instincts.

Speaking of instincts I strongly believe that we tend to want to recover our love and want to be loved but in these relationship we have to focus on recovering respect first and foremost. Boundaries are super critical.

Praise is a tricky thing. While it sounds good and possibly gives us a fuzzy feeling it also is judgment. Judgment is liked to power and control - thus can easily be patronizing. In real life(tm) this does not matter but we are living in a world where minor details can matter a lot.

What is important

- they are doing it for themselves. We must leave ownership by them.

- judgment is problematic - perceiving and reflecting back is generally validating and better

If in doubt I would always go with SET. This is good stuff and we want to get the message though  Smiling (click to insert in post)

S: Hey, I really wanted to let you know <important here: with positive voice tone to signal that the next sentence - which is referring to past conflict - is not belligrent>

E: it wasn't easy for you to apologize

T: it made a big difference to me.

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
Anise

Relationship status: married

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 01:26:35 PM »

No matter who it is, positive reinforcement works!

But especially for BPD, I think we have to be careful with tone and how our appreciation might be interpreted.  It needs to come from "the right place" so as not to seem manipulative or sarcastic.

One thing I like to do, which I guess is SET-like without the label, is state why I like the behavior.  "Thank you for doing _____ , it really helped me out." "I appreciated that you _______ because it makes me feel ________."
unicorn2014

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 06:37:40 PM »

Budi, the way you are phrasing things sound fine to me. One of my former therapists was trying to get me to allow my wBPD to regulate himself. It took me a long time to get to the point where I could do that and recently I was able to. After the incident I praised him for being able to regulate himself. My pwBPD is afraid I'm going to disengage with him, I have read many places that one of the problems with praise with people wBPD is they think they will be abandoned if they get better. How do you think your partner will respond to this?
maxsterling

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: living together, engaged

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 07:06:00 PM »

Yes, it can be.  And I have been accused of being patronizing at times. 

I think you need to be careful of the context.   If the pwBPD is asking for feedback, by all means be honest.  I would also avoid giving praise for everyday things that healthy adults do for themselves.  Regarding behavior issues (per your example), I think you can give positive encouragement without sounding like praise.

"Hey, that was a stressful issue you just handled - and you got through it."

"I've noticed that we are communicating better these days.  I think that is great."

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest