Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 06:05:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breaking up with a BPD partner  (Read 335 times)
Visa
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: September 21, 2015, 10:10:36 AM »

About two weeks ago I finally walked out, after splitting up on many other occasions with my BPD partner of one year (tomorrow actually).  This time, it feels for good, which is my goal, but as common with most break-ups of this sort, I am in constant pain and feel lonely for my partner.  Not lonely because I miss all the thrashing and chaos she put me through, but I miss her face and the good times we shared, eilbite the good times were always short lived.

I know by doing research, almost non-stop since the break-up, that I am clearly co-dependent.  I am practicing the "no contact" method, but as the days pass, I can feel myself getting weaker and the temptation growing stronger.  Her own mother, who I still maintain a friendship with encourages me to remember the "Bad (insert name here), the detached (name), the aggressive (name), the less than forthcoming (name), etc.  I also know she cheated on me and cruised dating websites while we were still a couple.  I caught her on a site as I was departing for a business trip out of the country cruising for someone else, maybe to keep her "occupied," while I was away.  I only found out because a friend of mine who is on that website alerted me to the fact that she was "logged on."  All of this and I still miss her and love her.  I feel like such a loser!  I know of course, I am better than this, but What the heck?

Feels good to write it out to whoever is listening though and maybe someone who understands... .
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Herodias

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 10:26:56 AM »

Good for you - stay strong... .Interesting her mother is encouraging you to leave. My mother in law did the same. I think in my case she was worried he would physically hurt me. It's tough and lonely... .Your so much better off doing it now instead of later. I wish I didn't wait so long.
UndauntedDad

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married, living together

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 01:16:33 PM »

Visa,

You are totally not a loser!  Kudos to you for doing the research, figuring out what might be wrong, and implementing a plan.  Don't beat yourself up if your NC plan is not perfect.  Nothing in this world is perfect, especially when trying to deal with these complicated relationships.

I just wanted to say, I have strong co-dependent traits also, and it made it extremely hard for me to leave, I felt lonely and guilty all the time, and  I actually haven't even finished leaving yet  (but we're married with a kid, so it's complicated.)  Others have told me what BlueHeron said, that someday I will also wish I didn't wait so long, but I'm not there yet.

I think it is great you're in contact with her mother.  It may also help you to maintain / renew /build new contacts with other friends around you.  I have very few close friends I can talk about BPD with, but even going to coffee to talk shop with a work colleague helps me forget about my pain, and reminds me of my value outside of my marriage.  If you build enough good times without her, you can look back on the good times you had with her without as much pain.

good luck.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest