Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 08:14:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm in a relationship with BPD and it's been one year  (Read 379 times)
dreamer101

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: September 24, 2015, 07:31:48 AM »

I've been with my BPD-bf for a year and now he doesn't want to talk to me but doesn't want to end the relationship. It is a long distance relationship, I see him once every month. He was mad and gave me cold treatment time to time claiming some unreasonable excuses. I try to understand him but this time he was so stressed and now he doesn't want to talk to me and when I called he gives me cold treatment. He was super sweet and calling everyday or twice a day (except those unreasonable times) for a year and suddenly became cold. Last time he was upset and told me he needs some time, I left him along and he was very upset that I don't care about him. I'm not sure if I should keep contact him or just leave him alone. It's been a month now. I do care about him and I just learn that he is BPD. Should I tell him?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 10:31:22 PM »

Hello dreamer101,

LDRs can be tough enough between two healthy people. They can be very tough when one partner is BPD, or has BPD traits. From what you wrote, it sounds like you concluded he has BPD. That's ok, as a lot of us arrived here the same way, as did I.

Aside from the obvious emotional dysregulations, a core trait of the disorder is shame. My Ex hated herself that she couldn't control her emotions sometimes. We do have members here who are able to talk about BPD with their partners, but it's rare. Even those who are diagnosed can fight the Dx, even denying it.

What's key is working upon communication on our side. Often, we unknowingly trigger the disorder when we're just trying to make sense of things or help. Take a look at the lessons to the right of this board, particularly Lesson 3, which has communication techniques developed by leading experts in dealing with the disorder.

"Testing" you like he did is a dysfunctional coping mechanism based upon his core fear of abandonment. Validating his feelings is a start. Take a look:

Communication using validation. What it is; how to do it

Welcome

Turkish

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
unicorn2014

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 11:46:19 PM »

Hi and welcome, I'm also in a LDR with a wBPD, for 3 years. Its not easy. You're welcome to read through my posts and see some of the issues I'm struggling with.
dreamer101

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 12:51:43 AM »

Hi Turkish,

Thank you so much for advise! It totally makes sense to me. My bf-BPD's mom left him when he was 5 and his father left him when he was 6 ish and reunited with his father at age of 13. I will try to work with him through this site and planing to find a good therapist for myself. Thank you for the advise and the link!

Dreamer101
dreamer101

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 12:52:56 AM »

Hi Unicorn2014,

Thank you and I will read through your post tonight!

Dreamer101
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest