Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 03:47:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resouces for children of co-parent with BPD~  (Read 376 times)
Dorabelle
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: September 24, 2015, 09:27:16 PM »

Hi,

Greatful for this initiative of this very helpful website. It's my oasis once in a while.

I'm hoping someone can help me with finding resources for kids who have to live with a BPD parent in custody. I found a wealth of resources for adults but I cannot find anything similar for kids to help the understand and cope with a narcissistic parent.

I am particularly interested in smart apps, or forums on line, or books that explain the difference between their BPD parent and others, how they can cope with it, where to look for healthy support, etc.

I remember seeing one book on line once, but didn't save the page... and now it's gone.

Anyone knows of a good resource for kids? Prevention is better than treatment.

Thanks

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 09:43:31 PM »

Hi Dorabelle,

Welcome

All of us on this board have Exes who are BPD, NPD, or have strong straits of this disorders, or are step-parents to kids whose other parent has the issues. You'll find a lot of support here 

To start, can you tell us a little more about what's going on? How old are the kids, and what are their biggest struggles? What's the living situation like?

You might want to take a look at the lessons to the right of the board, particularly lessons 1 and 5.

Turkish

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 10:21:07 AM »

Hi Dorabelle,

I wanted to join Turkish in welcoming you to the site. This place was my oasis too when I arrived here in the middle of a high conflict custody battle. My son (now 14) is doing a lot better thanks to things I learned here.

What age are the kids? Is the BPD parent diagnosed?

I learned that my son needed emotional repair and recovery more than he needed information. Although my ex is not outright diagnosed BPD, only hinted at in a forensic psych eval. So I had to tiptoe around the topic and focus more on building skills to help S14 deal with his own feelings, and help him learn how to regulate his own emotions.

I hope you'll share more when you feel comfortable and let us know how you're doing. Like Turkish mentioned, the lessons to the right have a lot to offer, whether it's understanding BPD behaviors, or learning how to effectively communicate.

LnL

Breathe.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest