Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 16, 2024, 01:38:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What co-parenting?  (Read 346 times)
Michelle27

« on: September 28, 2015, 09:03:12 AM »

3 months ago, after 3 months of doing a therapeutic separation, I ended things.  We don't have legal separation papers yet but I have maintained to both him (when we separated) and to our 11 year old daughter (at least several times a week I bring it up) that I would never come between the two of them and having time together.  In the first 6 weeks, her Dad asked for visitation twice and they spent a total amount of 5.5 hours together in those 2 visits.  Found out later (I choose not to grill our daughter because of his pattern of doing that during our therapeutic separation) that he spent most of the time with her asking questions about me. 

Days before the 3rd time they made plans to get together, SHE canceled their plans and then informed me.  She told him she was "busy" that day (she wasn't) and I was very surprised and sat her down and asked her why.  I admit a part of me was horrified that he would assume I convinced her to cancel to keep her from him, but I would never do that.  During that conversation, it came out for the first time that due to the raging she had witnessed in the marriage as well as how he grilled her during the 2 previous visits, she felt afraid of him.  She also told me for the first time that during our therapeutic separation, he yelled at her constantly (something he never did when I was around) and one time he pushed her.  I immediately got her registered in a local program called "Children Who Witness Abuse" which will either start later this fall or in the spring.

Because I chose not to question her about his contact with her, I didn't know until the other day that the last text message she got from him was on August 20th.  Since then... .crickets.  She also told me the other day that he asked her weird questions in the summer... .including questioning her what my bedroom looks like (he took the bedroom set/furniture when he moved out).  Just weird.

In the meantime, there have been some other weird developments.  He called police claiming he was being threatened (not by me... .I have been no contact other than one email in early July in which we discussed the logistics of me buying him out of the house etc.).  He has bounced some payments (child support for his first wife and his car insurance) and because our bank accounts are linked, the money was taken from my account to cover it.  When he got paid after that, I slid the exact amount back and moved my money from my checking (which he can see and where it was taken from) to my savings which is hidden from him.  I now have an appointment at the bank to open a new account in my name to stop this from happening again but that won't be for a few weeks.  I am also planning to speak with a lawyer in a couple days.  He has a lawyer (paid for by his family) but all I've received is a letter and a request for financial information which I provided.  That was a month and a half ago and since then, nothing.

I don't really have a question here I guess... .just frustrated that my willingness to allow him as much time and contact as he wants is being ignored to our daughter's detriment.  I'm frustrated that I have no child support coming in from him, that my bank account is being held hostage (I have to watch it constantly to make sure nothing comes out that shouldn't while I make sure everything gets covered so I can buy him out of the house).  I gave him 2.5 months to get his cell number transferred into his own name and he didn't so I last week, I cut it off.  Also cut him off my medical/dental/extended benefits as he has his own plan at work and frankly, I don't want to cover that while he gets away with not being a parent, not having financial responsibility for his daughter and not seeing her at all. 

Thanks for letting me vent.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 04:24:19 PM »

So are you going to do Legal Separation or Divorce?  In general LS is not a solution if it is not a "therapeutic separation", it just delays and possibly complicates a later divorce process.

My lawyer had told me that he has almost never done separations.  The reason (in my area) not to do a legal separation with an acting-out disordered spouse is that the first time (separation) you go through the custody process, she may misbehave before the court and evaluator and you will be seen as the better parent resulting in favorable parenting time for you.  But if you later decide to take that final step and seek divorce, you may have to go through the custody evaluation all over again and the second time around she may know how to hide her behaviors and she might get more custodial responsibility and parenting time.

Once you file for Legal Separation or Divorce you may not be permitted to change the health insurance status.  However, family court is often a place where "it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" and so you may be able to have to get his own insurance before the end of the year.  Or, another way, don't sign him up on your insurance for next year so it would lapse at the end of this year.  Of course if he doesn't already know then you'd probably have to inform him to sign up for his work's insurance program within its annual enrollment period.

However, you said it's already ended.  In that case keep a low profile about that and leave it as it is and by next year, when he will have been able to get his own coverage, it will be a moot issue and family court will ignore it.

If a legal process (LS or Divorce) hasn't been started, then he may not be legally obligated to send child support.  If you haven't yet, get legal consultation with a few local family law attorneys.

Thanks guys. I think she has been lying to the DA about some things, and so they will not enforce the support order without a judge. I will probably still send money, unless the L tells me not to.

My lawyer told me that any money gifted outside of a court's order or court's arrangement will be viewed as just that - a GIFT.  And that's what my court did.  When I filed for divorce and two months later finally had my temporary order hearing, I wasn't asked how much money I had given her, court calculated amounts to start RETROACTIVE back to the date of the court filing.  So I immediately had 2 months due.  Within two weeks a new month started and CSEA sent me a letter that I was "IN DEFAULT" since I hadn't paid CS in full and would be reported to credit agencies in 30 days.  No pro-rating for me to catch up.

Yes, it is proper to show good faith and pay some basic support even if none is ordered, but don't pay overmuch or generously because it is very likely such voluntary payments will be ignored by the court and not allowed to offset or credit a court ordered amount.

Yes, don't have joint bank or credit accounts.  He could drain them or bounce checks and make resolution so difficult for you.

As for your daughter, the courts will give you latitude to keep your child safe.  If there are no parenting orders or schedules yet, then both parents have equal but undefined/unspecified parental rights.  I recall my own separation and my then-spouse refused to exchange our preschooler and the police told me they would intervene for me until I had a written court order in my hands.  So don't feel guilted (by him or others) if he wants visitation and you have concerns for her safety and peace of mind.  In other words, if the parents disagree on parenting, then to a certain extent possession rules the day until a court makes an order otherwise.

Be careful not to invalidate your daughter, such as by overly-fair and confusing statements like "but your other parent loves you".  You want your daughter to observe, evaluate and make conclusions for herself.  Support that with proper and age-appropriate Validation.  That will help her to not doubt herself.  That's a part of growing up to be a healthy individual.

ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 05:49:01 PM »

Sorry, I failed to provide one important word... .

Excerpt
I recall my own separation and my then-spouse refused to exchange our preschooler and the police told me they would NOT intervene for me until I had a written court order in my hands.

Reasonably normal people can generally co-parent.  Disordered parents, well... . to a certain extent you do well to try but don't allow your child, yourself or your parenting to become vulnerable or at risk.  We here are people who tried and tried to make it work until we finally got the message.  At some point we have to admit we can't risk ourselves, our children or our parenting anymore.  That's where strong and effective boundaries are needed.  Boundaries are for us - since we often can't influence our ex-spouses - to protect us and our parenting.

livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 06:47:20 PM »

Hi Michelle27,

I understand the frustration. My ex has also ceased having much contact with my son -- and S14 is also not that enthralled with his dad. Not just abuse, but alienation too. It took a toll on S14. I'm relieved that Dr. Childress calls alienation child abuse because that's certainly how my son experienced it -- really ripped him up emotionally.

It does seem like crickets is out of the BPD playbook for some of us. My ex was quite overbearing and controlling when it came to dictating how I parented, what I did or didn't do with S14, but then was the world's greatest disappearing act when it came to showing up and doing anything with S14. Far as I can tell, S14 spent the entire 4 hour visits on the computer while his dad played guitar and puttered around the yard, probably drinking from alcohol stashed around the house.

One thing to consider -- your D has told you she is afraid of your H. Like you, I made S14 understand I fully supported him having a relationship with his dad. My T told me that I was sending confusing message. Why was the mom he trusted and loved telling him it was ok to spend time with a dad who abused him? We're in a tough position here. I found I had to be much more straightforward with S14, and respect his emotional intelligence. "I'm confused about what the best thing is to do" is an ok thing to say. My son also has a lot of respect for what his counselor says, and I have said a few times that maybe we need to think on whatever issue, and talk to our respective counselors.

In many ways, our kids grow up a little faster -- they have to grasp moral ambiguity before they are developmentally ready, and have to be able to process feelings that we may not want them to feel, like a parent rejecting them.

It's tough. I think you handled things so well, and send you a big hug as you raise your daughter and help her through this. My son was 9 when we left, and finally at 14 I am seeing some of the fruits of validation and learning to meet him where he is, instead of where I want him to be.

LnL

Breathe.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest