Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 06:39:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to minimize victim hood when you are forced into that corner of triangle  (Read 1149 times)
formflier
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: September 28, 2015, 09:28:23 AM »

Quick backstory:  Remember, I sleep with CPAP and big splints on my arms.  Getting settled down to sleep is a bit of a thing. 

In other words, switching beds is a big deal.

Last night, there were no other beds in the house.  My option I was considering was going to hotel.

So... .wife is sitting in bed working on resume and I am dozing off. 

I have arthritis (service connected issue... .those helmets are heavy over 20 years) in my neck which regularly results in stress headaches and tension in muscles.

I have some medication I take that takes the edge off, but when this happens I need to close my eyes, lights off, be still and eventually when I wake up next morning, things are usually better.

It's a fairly common (couple times a month thing).

So, I let her know I was dealing with that and had taken medication.

I asked her to work on my neck (pull traction).  No reply. 

I get ready to go to sleep for evening and ask if she minds if I turn off the light. 

No reply.  As I get ready to reach for switch she says she will do it "in a minute or two"

"Ok thanks" is my reply.

I get settled down and about 5 minutes later I ask again.  "Can you turn off the light now, my head really hurts, I need to go to sleep"

She makes some speech about how this is like when I ask her to turn off TV in order for us to have a conversation.

"I don't understand that, I need to go to sleep now, will try to talk about that later"

All of my speech is even... .but clearly tired and worn out.  My a$$ had been kicked by this.

More grumbling by her something about helping her sister and then said that she needed to work on getting a job.

"I don't understand how the light on or off affects you working on a computer.  Would you like me to go somewhere else to sleep?"

Silence

"I don't understand why you won't directly answer my questions or let me get the sleep that I need"

She gets up turns off light.  Makes some grumblings about not helping her sister out and that next time my sister won't help me (no idea what she is talking about)

She leaves the room.

My guess is she was playing the "persecutor" role and was "pushing" me to be a victim.

I just wanted to sleep. 

Any thoughts on what I could have done different or better.

This used to be common... .hasn't happened in long time.  I'm guessing it is linked to pianos... .moving... .all the rest.

FF

Ceruleanblue

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 09:46:11 AM »

Well, here is how I see it. They might want to engage is triangulation, by painting us as the "persecutor", but we don't have to accept that staring role. We can't help or control how they interpret things(and every person has the right to their own interpretation, even if it's unhealthy or just plain wrong), but we don't have to buy into it. BPDh often wants to act like he's put upon by me, if I ask for anything, it's like he sees it as an opportunity to play victim. That's his choice, and like you, I now see it for what it is.

I can't change the way he wants to interpret things. I'd understand, of course, if they were really difficult things for him to do, but like you, we are talking simple things like your shutting off the light. One of mine is I have asked him to spread out the shower curtain(we even call it different terms: I say open the curtain, he says close... .I say who cares, he knows what I mean... .Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)), so it doesn't mildew, and I don't have to get in a wet shower later in the day. He sees this as a super big deal, and likes to act like I'm "controlling", thereby giving him the right to feel "put upon", or feel victimized.

It's actually very funny. I mean, it can be irritating at times, that I can't just ask normal partner things, things I'd ask of any roommate, and it not become a huge deal, but that's just part of BPD I've decided. When they don't have something "real" to be upset about, they find something. It's like a stress relief, maybe?

As long as we don't pick up the label, or engage in being part of the triangle by arguing, or even acknowledging, I think you are good. I think you did just the right thing. I think pwBPD do it just so we do react. Then they can argue why we are victimizing them, and when we defend, or JADE, it really makes them feel justified. It's hard not to, but you didn't. Kudos to that. I know how hard that can be sometimes, especially when you are tired or in pain.
Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 09:53:40 AM »

I don't think we can go back in time, but it is a live and learn experience. My H would take offense at me sleeping in another room. He interprets that as a threat to the marriage. My take on this is that, if someone is not able to sleep- then that is a bigger threat to the marriage as a tired, grumpy person really is not able to be a good partner then.

Over the years, there are times when we just need some sleep. It is part of self care. Our MC has said that when someone is tired, hungry, not feeling well, that they have to take care of that need before considering another person. Since we used to argue at night a lot, she urged one of us to leave the bedroom at that point if we were in an exhausted circular fight. My H was astounded at that idea, but I agreed it is better for both of us to sleep.

I also found that I was less able to deal with any conflict or dysregulation if I was tired. If I tried to take care of myself, he would interpret that as abandonment and rejection. This would lead us down the crazy path. Just me saying to him "I need to take some time to myself" will trigger him. I know that if I say this at the time I am already tired, it will be a highway to crazy. I have learned to take care of myself first- put the oxygen mask on so to speak. Tell him I want to get some sleep early in the evening, not when we are both tired.

I will look at what happened with you. You were already compromised- you were in pain and tired when you brought up your needs with your wife. This already put you in a less desirable state to interact with anyone. You asked her to help you with that, and she was unwilling. Then, you asked her to turn off the light. She didn't respond. Now considering she is sensitive to your responses to her, she may be interpreting your discomfort in a personal way, not your physical state. Something is going on with her- you don't know exactly what, but she isn't responding to you, or complying with your requests in any way.

At this point it is obvious you are on the highway to crazy. It's also probably late and going to a hotel would possibly escalate things.

It would be great if you had another bedroom, but the point at which you decide to sleep alone is when you are physically uncomfortable, and then you do not put yourself in a position where your well being is dependent on her. whether this means a hotel or another bedroom. You need to be somewhere where you can take care of your health and not be dependent on someone's compliance.

I had to learn to do this in many ways. Often, I would eat first before sitting down to dinner, since my H would just eat while I was helping the kids when they were little. He wasn't concerned if I got to eat or not. It was my hunger and I learned to eat in peace first, then feed the kids and him. Menopause made it harder to sleep. I would find another place to sleep, even the couch if I had to. When visiting my mother, I have stayed in a hotel, if I was not able to sleep there. Sleep is just a basic human need, and so we can do what it takes to get it.

Have you noticed a pattern lately? Your wife is taking an opposing stand with you on many things, where you are going to live, the piano, your wanting the lights turned off.

Notwendy

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 10:29:35 AM »

One thing that helps me understand the nature of this is that- if someone is dysregulating, they are into their own thoughts and needs to the point that they are not really aware of the needs of someone else. I don't think this is something with evil or intent to harm. I think it is that they are focused on themselves. Also, physical discomfort can put someone in that same situation. You were in pain, and you expected your wife to be aware of your needs and also hoped she would be considerate of them. This may not be an unreasonable expectation, but it may be unrealistic for someone who is already compromised emotionally.

I don't necessarily like it, but I learned long ago that my mother is often not capable of being in tune with someone else's feelings. My H is sometimes, but not if he is triggered, or tired, or hungry. Expecting him to come home from work hungry and even notice that anyone else was hungry too was not realistic.

Our needs are our responsibility first.

As to victim position, it is my observation that to someone with BPD, there is only one victim - them.  I think that, as victims, they want sympathy and have a large need for it. When they are focused on their own need, they can't give it.
Daniell85

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 11:54:30 AM »

I don't see what else you could have done, considering there was no where else to sleep. she already knows you have the health issue. she knew you were getting ready to sleep. she knows everything she needed to know in order to give you a kiss goodnight and leave the room or turn off the light.

her choice to play a game about it in order to provoke you. its not your fault. you stayed calm and polite, and she took her grumpy self elsewhere. I don't know how to minimize it beyond letting the whole business go without further comment and having a place later to sleep that doesn't rely on the good will of a person who likes to start crap at bedtime.

sorry, she was being a pill 
babyducks

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 12:45:03 PM »

I really dislike moments like this at bedtime .    Being nighttime makes it worse for me.  It feels like a power struggle when it happens between us and I am never at my best when I heading off to sleep.

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
Cole

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 03:11:11 PM »

Is it possible there was something bothering your wife and she was on the verge of dysregulating, or at the very least irritated? It could have been something to do with her sister or feeling ignored when the TV is on (the clues were dropped). Having been in a similar situation many times, I have learned I have two choices:

1. Ask her what is bothering her. Usually she says, "Nothing" then the floodgates open a few minutes later. (Defuse the bomb.)

2. Try to rationalize with her to turn off the light or read elsewhere. (Ignore the bomb and hope it does not go off.)  

Option 1 can result in a lengthy cry or diatribe about someone or something. But it is much better than the full blown dysreg that can come from option 2.

thisagain

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 05:10:56 PM »

sorry, she was being a pill 

Ditto  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Is the grumbling about her sister related to the piano incident?

I've found that my partner has a knack for trying to pick a fight when I'm at my worst -- in pain, in the ER, my professional licensing exam is tomorrow, etc.

Since you did such a good job avoiding drama over the piano, my guess would be that she was trying again to engage you in a fight over it. Or a fight over anything. Because she has bad feelings (about the piano and probably something deeper) and needs to justify those bad feelings by manufacturing a conflict in which you're the bad guy.

HappyNihilist

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 09:24:08 PM »

formflier, I'm sorry, it sucks to have to deal with that when you're tired, drained, and in pain.

I think this is a fantastic question. How do we step out of the drama triangle, even when we're being drawn into it by our partner?

The way out of the drama triangle is to move into the center - a combination of sensitivity, compassion, and responsibility. No matter what role we feel ourselves gravitating towards, we can reframe our perspective and change our role.

~ From Victim ("I'm blameless" to Vulnerable ("I'm struggling"

Being a victim is feeling helpless, oppressed, powerless. Moving away from victimhood means being emotionally mature, vulnerable without being needy. Accept the situation and take responsibility to problem-solve and take action.

~ From Persecutor ("I'm right" to Assertive ("I have needs"

Instead of blaming or punishing, or being forceful or manipulative, give constructive feedback and initiate negotiations.

~ From Rescuer ("I'm good" to Caring ("I'm listening"

Don't overstep or overreach. Be a supportive, empathetic listener and give the other person the respect of letting them take care of themselves and solve their own problems.

Looking back at the stressful interaction from last night, what do you think might have helped you move out of the victim role, formflier?
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 04:35:26 AM »

You did fine... light went out, you got to sleep, you didn't react and kept it her problem, not yours

Its not a triangle though as there was no rescuer.

She was being the victim and making you the persecutor if anything.

In her perspective you were dismissive of whatever she was doing as unimportant. Felt you were being controlling. Its just straight forward childish sulking and attempt at guilt tripping. Your need was being trumped by her instant gratification need to do whatever she was doing

ie you dont care... there will be consequences... and they are your fault... its nothing to do with me... see if I care.

Was she really doing what she made out she was doing? Motivation doesn't always match the  excuse ie did it really have anything to do with her sister or getting a job?

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 02:45:12 PM »

Was she really doing what she made out she was doing? Motivation doesn't always match the  excuse ie did it really have anything to do with her sister or getting a job?

She was sitting on bed next to me with a laptop.  I suspect she was browsing jobs and messing with her resume.

Didn't see screen but heard clicking... .although it wasn't hard core typing.

Randi Kreger
DSA Recipient

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 07:33:34 PM »

You said, "

My guess is she was playing the "persecutor" role and was "pushing" me to be a victim."

Actually it is the opposite. She was the victim. The person with BPD is always the victim. I have the karpman triangle explained the the Essential Family Guide to BPD

She was being the victim because for whatever reason having something to do with her sister, she was (too tired? What?) to get up and turn off the light.

In her mind, you were the persecutor by trying to get her to do something she didn't want to do.

If you had said "never mind," and gotten up yourself, you would be playing the rescuer.

A bit better thing to say than "I don't understand why you won't... ." is "HELP ME UNDERSTAND what you're experiencing right now." I like "experiencing" because it is bigger than THINKING or FEELING and combines both. Then again, that late at night you might not want to invite conversation.

If I were you, I would figure out what to do to avoid that setup again. Conflict before sleeping is not good. What you might want to do is approach the issue the next day when things are going well and ask the same question.

When you have no clue of what is going on, asking the other person "What are you experiencing right now?" said in a non-threatening way can be helpful 

I had a borderline mother and narcissistic father.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 07:41:04 PM »

When you have no clue of what is going on, asking the other person "What are you experiencing right now?" said in a non-threatening way can be helpful  

I like this.  I like to use "help me understand... .xyz" as a verbal trick to get me away from saying "why do you do this"... .which sounds accusatory.

I've got a new tool for my tool-belt.

Thanks !

FF

Randi Kreger
DSA Recipient

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 07:42:43 PM »

This is what I wrote in the Essential Family Guide to BPD. The point is you don't want to be on the triangle AT ALL.

The Karpman Triangle game inhibits real problem-solving. It creates confusion and distress, not solutions. No matter who “wins” each fight, both sides are miserable. This becomes a second layer of upsetness—one layers is the never-ending fights; the other is whatever the disagreement is about.

Families are systems of interconnected and interdependent individuals, none of whom can be understood in isolation from the system. One popular model is called the Karpman Triangle, after its founder, Stephan Karpman, MD. The Karpman Triangle happens in all families, even in relatively healthy ones. The roles in this drama are

•   the “victim”

•   the “persecutor,” who bullies the victim

•   the “rescuer,” who swoops in and saves the victim

In the following example of the triangle, two sisters discuss their problems involving child care arrangements: (sorry, this was in a chart that doesn't translate)

Person   What They Say   Role

Louise    “You keep on calling me at the last minute to babysit. I have to drop all my plans and I don’t like it.”   Self, victim; Eleanor prosecutor

Eleanor    “I can’t help it! Sometimes things come up and I can’t plan!”   Self victim; Louise, prosecutor

Louise   “You really could plan better. Did you really have to rush over to your boyfriend’s house on Tuesday?”   Victim again, Eleanor as prosecutor again

Eleanor   “No! I couldn’t. He was upset and he threatened to take drugs if I didn’t come right at that moment” (cries)   Self, victim; Eleanor, prosecutor

Their father, Harry

(Walks in) “I heard you two arguing with each other. Louise, do you have to argue? Just back down to keep the peace.   Eleanor, rescuer;

Louise persecutor

Louise   (Sighs) “All right, all right. Please stop crying. Just try not to do it again, okay?”   Now somewhat uncomfortable with victim and not wanting to go against her father, rushes in as rescuer. Next time this happens, she may keep her resentment to herself

Eleanor   “Thank you, thank you. Okay, I’ll try. Thanks, Dad”   Comes out of victim mode—for now

Their mother, Thelma   (comes in) “Will you all just come sit at the dinner table? I’ve been cooking all day and everything’s getting cold and no one appreciates me.”   A new victim is created, with Harry, Eleanor, and Louise as persecutors

During disputes, the participants wear each other down, each trying to claim victimhood and slap the other with the persecutor label. This constant tug-of-war is exhausting. The roles constantly shift. As the drama plays out, if anyone in this triangle changes roles, the other two roles change as well.

Two can play the game, too. For example, let’s say that Harry wasn’t at home, and Eleanor’s pleas made Louise back down instead of setting clear limits. If Louise sighed and said, “Never mind, just call me whenever you need me,” Louise would be then acting as the rescuer. This is a frequent occurrence in families with members who have BPD.

When someone with BPD is one of the parties, this dynamic becomes more intense and dangerous. Metaphorically, the tug-of-war game is held over a river full of crocodiles and piranhas.

The bottom line: you can’t “out-victim” your BP. Although you can’t change the way your loved one relates to you, you can choose to stop dancing altogether.

Here is a good link with an illustration

www.therapyideas.net/manipulation.htm

I had a borderline mother and narcissistic father.
Skip
Site Director

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 08:29:46 PM »

FF, this is the third most viewed article on the website, I'd read it.  We got help from Karpman himself.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

https://bpdfamily.com/content/karpman-drama-triangle

The triangle is called a drama triangle because "making drama" is replacing "solving problem/win/win."  

A key point that is often overlooked is that we get into drama triangles with out partner because we both prefer this to solving the problems facing us. Often we have or have acquired a drama style.

When we do - its all about the drama - little about the solution.

In the case you describe, you were both vying to become the victim and force the other party into a persecutor and maybe even later into a rescuer role.  Probably still are.  Being cool (click to insert in post)

What is stepping to the center?

Step back, recast this event as if it was two people that don't do drama, and do what they would do - or at least what you do (you control that).

It sounds like the two of you had needs that night. You needed to dawn headgear and pumps and splints and have silence.  She was already occupying the bed and working on her computer and stressing over her sister. You both wanted your needs to be met and were put out by the others needs.

1. When you were laying there, what was on your mind? How were you feeling about your wife's treatment of you? Give us all the feeling and thoughts. Any feeling of victim or persecutor?

2. When she was sitting there engrossed in her computer and you came in and took over the bed, how was she feeling about you? Use your best empathy skills, what was she experiencing?

3. You are going to re-live this at some future point - how can you better deal with it next time?

a --> In terms of pre-planning/negotiating the handling of your needs

b --> In terms of real time attitude (and response).

unicorn2014

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 12:25:11 AM »

Formflier, I have a  question, could you create a rule of no electronics in the bed? The bed is the place for sleeping not for working on the laptop. Is there another place where your wife can work on the laptop?
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 06:42:38 AM »

Formflier, I have a  question, could you create a rule of no electronics in the bed? The bed is the place for sleeping not for working on the laptop. Is there another place where your wife can work on the laptop?

I have that "rule".  Bedroom is for sleeping and... .well... you know... .   

In our house there is no TV in our room.  We were at her parents house.  TVs in every room.  Some have 2. 

You might miss out on some important show... .heaven forbid.

I don't create or enforce rules for my wife.

I asked her politely if she minded it I turned off the light.

FF

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 08:01:16 AM »

It sounds like the two of you had needs that night. You needed dawn headgear and pumps and splits and have silence.  She was already occupying the bed working on her computer and stressing over her sister. You both wanted your needs met and were put out by the others needs.

1. When you were laying there, what was on your mind? How were you feeling about your wife's treatment of you? Give us all the feeling and thoughts.

2. When she was sitting there engrossed in her computer and you came in and took over the bed, how was she feeling about you? Use your best empathy skills, what was she experiencing?

3. You are going to re-live this at some future point - how can you better deal with it?

a --> In terms of pre-planning/negotiating the handling of your needs

b --> In terms of real time attitude (and response).

So... .to set the stage as best I can.  We were on the bed together for about an hour before I asked to turn off the lights.  She was working on computer and I was laying close to her with arm around her/on her.  Some light conversation but most of the time it was quiet and she would be typing.

At this point my goal was to keep my eyes shut, relax and see if the medication was going to intercept the growing headache or if I was really "done" for the evening.

There was some internal sighing to myself about wanting to do something different, but this issue is a fairly common one (couple times a month) and there is no use fighting it.  It is what it is.

At this point I was thinking it was nice to be close to my wife... .relaxing.  There is nothing to indicate she is pissed or in a mood and I don't make a habit of looking for it.  We are several hours out of the yelling match between her, her father and mother over the piano after I declined to participate in moving it.

So, I'm guessing about 15 minutes before I asked to turn off the lights was when I asked if she would pull traction on my neck and to rub it a bit.  Silence.

Now, I'm aware that there is "something" going on with her.  I realize that I am in no mood to be a "BPD whisperer" and that I need to tread carefully.  I would describe my feelings and internal monologue as a bigger sigh... ."really... not now"... ."what a pain in the a$$"

If I had felt better, I might try to validate, engage, use touch etc etc.  I didn't have the energy or desire.  I was in the self care mode.

My wife has expressed frustration at this mode and my issues.  Says many times they are a choice or something I brought on myself.  I've long since dropped this discussion with her.  I can only guess that this was creeping back into her mind.

It's now obvious that headache is not getting better.  Even with eyes closed I'm getting more light sensitive, pain is increasing.  There is a thought in me that my wife is very likely going to be an obstacle to me getting to sleep and I need to be prepared and not react or blow up.  My feelings are of "resignation" to the situation... ."it is what it is".

I try to think and focus on being even in my delivery when I ask if she minds if I turn off the light so I can go to sleep.

Silence.  I'm reaching to turn it off and "I'll get it in a minute".

At this point, there is no doubt (in my mind) that she is going to engage in some kind of game, point, issue... .whatever you want to call it. 

I said "Ok" and laid down, mask on and gave it a shot to be still and see if I can sleep.  I'm also counting in my head and I checked my cell phone before laying down to note the time. 

My feelings toward my wife are deteriorating and I'm trying to "compartmentalize" my thinking and focus on proper delivery and problem solving (I need to sleep with no other beds in house).

So, the reality is I spent about 5 minutes weighing my options.  Would there be a bigger "upset" if I continue to question her/push for lights out or if I just got up and went to hotel.

I decided that hotel would be a bit of an escalation.  I'm also having thoughts about my wife that center around me "not deserving this" (and William Munny talking back to me in my head about "deserve has nothing to do with it" 

OK... I get it... .I have an unusual internal monologue...    

After 5 minutes

I get settled down and about 5 minutes later I ask again.  "Can you turn off the light now, my head really hurts, I need to go to sleep"

She makes some speech about how this is like when I ask her to turn off TV in order for us to have a conversation.

"I don't understand that, I need to go to sleep now, will try to talk about that later"

All of my speech is even... .but clearly tired and worn out.  My a$$ had been kicked by this.

More grumbling by her something about helping her sister and then said that she needed to work on getting a job.

"I don't understand how the light on or off affects you working on a computer.  Would you like me to go somewhere else to sleep?"

Silence

"I don't understand why you won't directly answer my questions or let me get the sleep that I need"

She gets up turns off light.  Makes some grumblings about not helping her sister out and that next time my sister won't help me (no idea what she is talking about)

She leaves the room.

OK, so my feelings towards my wife when I asked after 5 minutes to turn light out.  There is contempt for her.  I realized this and focused on being even in my delivery of my question. 

I choose not to engage on the "turn lights out being same as a request to turn off TV" because I saw nothing practical that could be talking about.  Purely opinion.  I choose not to ignore her (and tell her I didn't understand her point and would like to talk later) to attempt to be polite and demonstrate good behavior (not doing ST).

There is definitely a "I can't believe I'm having to deal with this nighttime crap... .poor me thing" going on in my head." at this point.

Since there was a practical aspect to the light being on or off and her getting a job (although I don't understand that) I decided to engage a little more and ask questions that would seem to require a direct answer.  "Would you like me to go somewhere else to sleep" 

More ST.  It's clear to me that my wife is not interested in solving a problem and that she is looking to "make a point" or "show me" something.  Been down this road many times.  My opinion of my wife continues to deteriorate and my internal monologue is all about not blowing up at her and "calling her out"... .etc etc.  (that is the old me)

Me trying to focus on practicalities and problem solving.  Instead of making a speech to her I let her know I didn't know how to understand or "take" her silence and her refusal to take action that helps me meet a basic need.

I felt like giving a speech about how she has been to drs, looked at the x-rays, seen my medical file and that she should understand this has nothing to do with her its a disability that I have and there is a tried and true way to deal with it and I would appreciate it if she would get out of the way and let me treat the issue.  (but... .in my mind that would have been "adding  energy" to the situation... .so I kept those thoughts to myself)

She turns off light, makes her speech and leaves room.

My internal thoughts were "what an uncaring b$tch... " I kept those to myself and luckily the pain and need for sleep quickly overtook me and I went to sleep.

Woke up next day with a "new day" attitude and carried on... .

Hope this sheds more light on what I was thinking and how that compared to what I actually let out of my mouth.

I'm open to opinions and options on what I could have done better.

FF

Skip
Site Director

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 08:25:51 AM »

I don't want to upset you, FF, but look at the questions and look at what you wrote.

You grabbed all the drama stuff and immersed in it.

Your were silent on the solutions stuff.

Both of you opt for drama.  Not solutions. 

Notwendy

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2015, 08:41:26 AM »

My internal thoughts were "what an uncaring b$tch... "

My only advice to you at this point is not to personalize this. I think it is great that you didn't respond by saying something to that extent. That would have gotten you on the arena as persecutor. It would have likely escalated because your wife would not even connect that comment to anything about her.

Thank you Randi for confirming my own observation that the pwBPD prefers victim mode, and when there is a circumstance where the other person may also be seen as competition for victim mode, the pw BPD can push to maintain that position.

Why, because there is a payoff to victim mode. Victim mode absolves them from any responsibility, and may result in sympathy.

In addition, I think the least desirable mode is "caretaker " or rescuer.

The pairing of rescuer- victim seems to be a preferred configuration. I have observed myself that during times where the rescuer caretaker may step out of that role, and there is even a hint that person may slip into victim role ( not a drama, but being tired, or not feeling 100% as in FF's situation) the response from the pw BPD is paradoxical to what one would assume.

I observed this between my parents, and my mother with BPD, and once I saw that, it explained the situation I had in my own relationship. In victim role, the person with BPD perceives things as being done to them, on purpose, as a result on mal intent on the person who is "doing that thing" to them. This happens when the other person shifts out of caretaker/rescuer role. Since there can only be ONE victim, that person becomes the persecutor.

My mother tells stories about how I, as a toddler, threw up on her nice carpet on purpose just to get her. She didn't seem to get that a toddler with a stomach ache has no control over where to throw up.

The more difficult time of my marriage was when I was pregnant and/or taking care of small children. This took away from the usual emotional caretaking I could do for my H.  I had hoped for some empathy, but once out of rescuer role, I unkowingly became the persecutor.

If I mentioned that I was tired, or fell asleep early my H would accuse me of ignoring him. He didn't seem to grasp that my wish to sleep had nothing to do with him. He would then rage or give me the silent treatment. Not understanding the situation at the time, I was very confused and found this to be hurtful, but he was acting out of his own feeling that I had rejected him.

My only advice to FF is that, this isn't personal, it comes from them being unable to see things outside of victim mode and there can only be one victim. Since you were not feeling well, in her mind, you moved from rescuer to persecutor. From then on, what you say is possibly interpreted as an attack and she sees her actions as being justified.

While it may feel like we are victims at the moment, I can reframe this in terms of sympathy for them. How sad that they can not connect with others at some level.

This is basically how I frame it for myself as a way of staying out of the triangle in my own perspective if possible.  Even if I don't really know all that is going on at the moment, the idea  of acting out of victim perspective can help me not react in ways that perpetuate the drama. Knowing that I can not change that perspective- that style of interpreting things, keeps me from JADEing.

thisagain

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2015, 08:43:26 AM »

FF were you already hooked up to your CPAP and wearing the arm splints? So you were pretty much dependent on her turning off the light?

What is your and your wife's usual bedtime routine as far as who turns off the light, when you set up your CPAP and splints, etc?

I think you were amazingly patient in this discussion considering the pain you were in. But it would be better if there's a way to change your routine so your physical comfort isn't dependent on her choices.

Skip
Site Director

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2015, 10:11:31 AM »

Thank you Randi for confirming my own observation that the pwBPD prefers victim mode, and when there is a circumstance where the other person may also be seen as competition for victim mode, the pw BPD can push to maintain that position.

The drama triangle comes from the field of transactional analysis. It is like tennis, its about both parties. Unless you have two or three people that have this inclination and that are inclined to pick up the roles, the drama doesn't form.

Part of the problem is that this way of relating often becomes routine in the relationship.  This is a "go to" place.

In this situation, there is a "use conflict" for the room/bed.  She was there first, felt taht FF was coming in and controlling her options (victim).  FF was feeling uncared for (he had a headache, etc.) and also felt like a victim.

How would two strangers handle this in a shared sleeper berth on a train?  Most likely, they would just solve it.

Randi's point that pwBPD like being the "victim" is not exactly true. They don't like it at all.  Neither does FF.  It would be more accurate to say that people with BPD often chose "drama" over "solutions".

Typically people who chose drama are those who are in situations where solutions don't come easy.  They might feel oppressed.  They might feel that they get overruled too much.  They might feel intellectually inferior. Mental illness and addiction heighten these.

Attacking this bigger picture is really were the solution lies.

Notwendy

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2015, 10:29:14 AM »

Thanks for clarifying that pw BPD don't like victim mode. I agree that they choose that way to handle things, although I would be overstepping boundaries to assume why. I do think there is a payoff for all of the roles ( and a price- drama) and that these dynamics seem to be prevalent in dysfunctional families.

In this light, we may get on the triangle because it is the only "tool" we have with which to handle differences in a relationship. We may not like it, but it can be a familiar place to be if it is what we know best. This could also be why ow BPD make this choice.

It has helped me to try to be aware of when I might be in one of the roles. It was a prevalent way of relating in my FOO, so it seemed normal to me until I became aware of it.

I perceived the other person as perpetrator and was not aware of my own perception which was as victim at the time. Once I was able to consider that the other person was possibly acting out of victim mode, seeing me as perpetrator, what we were both doing began to make sense.

Yes, it takes two to make drama- so yes, I agree that I need to stay mindful of my part in it.
Skip
Site Director

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2015, 10:35:35 AM »

Exactly.

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2015, 11:45:49 AM »

FF were you already hooked up to your CPAP and wearing the arm splints? So you were pretty much dependent on her turning off the light?

What is your and your wife's usual bedtime routine as far as who turns off the light, when you set up your CPAP and splints, etc?

I think you were amazingly patient in this discussion considering the pain you were in. But it would be better if there's a way to change your routine so your physical comfort isn't dependent on her choices.

I had splints on but not CPAP when I asked if I could turn off the light and she said wait a minute. 

Then I put on mask and lay still, then when I spoke again (after 5 minutes) I was wearing the mask.

Mask stayed on for the duration of the exchange and after she left the room.

To clarify:  This was not a normal situation at our house.  We were at her family house close to where we are moving.  We were in the guest room.

No other places available to lay down in the house.

There are two different modes (for going to bed) when we are at home.  If my wife is up and active, I will excuse myself and go to bed.  In this case I set up room, turn off lights and go to bed.

If she is tired and wants to come to bed or if it looks like sex is on the horizon, then we both go to bed at same time.  She is usually last one in bed and turns off lights. 

FF

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2015, 12:26:16 PM »

I don't want to upset you, FF, but look at the questions and look at what you wrote.

You grabbed all the drama stuff and immersed in it.

Your were silent on the solutions stuff.

Both of you opt for drama.  Not solutions. 

Not upset at all but I don't see that I was going for drama and not solutions. 

I was consciously trying to get to solution (sleep) with minimum or no drama.

I had a choice of turning off the light myself (without asking) which may have been perceived as aggressive or uncaring (there is some history here) so my habit is to try to communicate clearly.

So, my choice was to ask if she minded if I turned off the light.  To toss the ball in her court so to speak and see  if she had a response.  At this point she had already done some very obvious ST.  I believed that had I done an action without speaking (turn off light) that it would have been "going for drama".  I believe that in trying to engage her in a conversation I was seeking and proposing a solution.  (Me turn off light)

She offered that she would turn it off in minute or two.  Seems reasonable and was not obviously picking a fight.  I could have went for drama and said I need it right now, I hurt right now... .blah blah blah.

I believe I chose no drama (no fighting or chance for fight) and laid down and attempted to go to sleep.

Note:  No argument from me that parts of my "innards" were gearing up for a fight or some weirdness from her and that I wanted to avoid getting in a potential blowout.  Big difference in my feelings and my choices (IMO)

So, I let more than the allotted time go by (that my wife had proposed for her solution) and then I chose to engage again.

Instead of blaming and starting a fight I decided to state my truth and my need... simply and to the point.

I truly don't understand her point that came back about all these times that I ask her to turn off TV.  I don't see how that has a bearing on the issue of a light being on or not.  I believe what she is referring to is that she likes to engage me in complicated conversations while the TV is blaring and she is usually looking at her phone and a laptop off to the side.  Many times I can't even hear what she is saying (especially if my hearing aides aren't in) so I ask her to turn off the TV if she wants to have a conversation or we can have a conversation later.  If that is not what she is talking about, then I haven't a clue what "point" she was trying to make.

My thought was that she was trying to open up a rabbit trail to divert the conversation.  I believe if I was interested in drama/fighting that I would have "called her on it" etc etc.  I chose to ignore it

I spoke back to her so I would not be doing ST, let her know I didn't understand but was interested in speaking about it later (a solution).  I think drama would have been declaring that I was unable to talk now, how could she not see that, blah blah blah.  Instead I tried to be clear and to the point, even though I didn't feel like doing that.

She now brings sister issue into it (I believe another rabbit trail invitation or invitation to fight)

I told her I didn't understand relevance and then proposed solution (I asked if she wanted me to go somewhere else).  I think drama would have been a big speech about her not caring (me sharing my feelings).  Instead I kept it short and gave her a choice for solution.

I suppose I could have skipped explaining that I didn't understand and just offered to go somewhere else.  However, I try not to ignore "points" that she raises unless they are clearly abusive.

She goes back to obvious silence.

I could have chosen drama and accused her of ignoring me, not caring, etc etc.  I was still under assumption that me getting up and leaving would have been an escalation.  The normal pattern is when I exit a "scene" with her she hurls words and accusations at me on the way.  I do not respond.  Once I decide to leave, I leave.  (in the old days... before tools and this site... .it would be a big back and forth)

I tried to keep my last communication short to avoid drama/bad stuff.  I don't understand and I need sleep.

She gets up to go while flinging words and grumblings at me. 

So... I see me being the one offering solutions.  She offered one (light off in couple minutes) but didn't follow through.  I suspect it was never a serious solution for her, but that is just my guess.

I'm open to what I can/should do differently.

Please explain how I opted for drama and not solutions.

I don't see it.  If it is there, I want to see it and try something different in the future.

Last note:  There seems to be a vibe that I somehow kicked my wife out.

She was there first, felt taht FF was coming in and controlling her options (victim).  

We were in room together for a good while before I started making moves towards going to sleep.  There was some in and out of room just before that.  I don't see either party (me or wife) having claim to being there first.  It is our guest room and where we sleep.

Not sure if that has bearing on this or not... .but wanted to clarify.

FF

Notwendy

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 12:30:39 PM »

I know that I fell into that drama triangle countless times ( and still do) but sometimes, now, I am able to see the possibility of it or at least recognize that I am in it. I think in this situation, you saw that you were in it, but wondered the best way to get out of it. It's a learning process. Don't be hard on yourself for falling in the drama hole. It is commendable that you saw it, and then posted here to learn about it.

Avoiding the drama isn't walking on eggshells, it is choosing an entirely different way to relate altogether, but that isn't easy to learn. We know what we know, and something different is not known to us. This is one reason we pair up with people who walk on the drama triangle, it is the steps we are most familiar with. We don't know any different. Most of us learned to do this as kids in our own FOO.

You know those street signs that alert you to driving conditions- such a fog ahead, or winding road? They are not there to tell us to drive on eggshells, but to be aware that the road conditions are not optimal- to be alert. This is a metaphor that I use for potential drama ahead, and one of those signs for me is:

MY FOO AHEAD and another one is SPOUSE FOO AHEAD

I found it stressful when we visited our FOO's because it was easy to slip without thinking into the ways we responded in our FOOs that were adaptive and acceptable in the FOO, and dysfunctional outside it. Each family has its own ways of communicating. Although we both regressed when visiting our FOO's, I was unfamiliar with the "dance" in my H's. He stepped into place, and I ended up inadvertently being out of step with the family and grating on all their nerves. My family "dance" was less in sinc, more erratic, so that was less of an issue.

The other warning sign for me is  IN NEED OF SELF CARE  I know that if I am in some way tired, cranky, stressed or in any kind of need that I am likely to get on to the triangle.

I don't use these ideas to try to predict or control the future, but as signs for me to be alert to my own feelings and how I am acting. I also don't use them to avoid family or WOE. We care about our families, and still visit them.

I know that when we visit families, at least one of will face a strong pull to regress, and that both of us are apt to not be at our best. I am the same way if I am tired or out of sorts. Seems like you were in a situation that was not optimal for you. Also consider that your wife being with her FOO can exacerbate her dysfunction. Now, the next time you see the signs FOO AHEAD, or FF FEELS YUKKY... you will recognize them.

unicorn2014

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2015, 12:32:28 PM »

I have that "rule".  Bedroom is for sleeping and... .well... you know... . 

In our house there is no TV in our room.  We were at her parents house.  TVs in every room.  Some have 2.  

You might miss out on some important show... .heaven forbid.

I don't create or enforce rules for my wife.

I asked her politely if she minded it I turned off the light.

FF

Would you consider creating a no watching tv in the bed rule or a no laptop in the bed rule regardless of where you were?
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2015, 12:32:38 PM »

With the benefit of hindsight I suppose I could have/should have said.

"Honey I am hurting and need to go to sleep now.  Can you go to a different room to do your work if you need the light on"

There have been times when she has been in bed with laptop or kindle and the lights of the room are off and I go to sleep just fine and she does her thing just fine (I guess... .as I go to sleep... .and later conversations reveal how many chapters she read or things like that).

So, it is abnormal for us to be in bed, me trying to sleep, her trying to work on computer and the main room light on.

In the few times that it comes up that she wants to work in bed, the light goes off, I go to sleep and she does... .whatever she does.  

I don't believe there has ever... .and I literally mean ever/never been a time when main room light has stayed on and I went to sleep.

That is why I believe she was trying to pick a fight/cause a scene and was not focused on solutions.

A solution that has worked in the past is to "turn off the light".  I didn't mention or say that she could continue to work (or not) because that has not been issue in the past.  The light has been an issue.

Hope that clarifies.

FF

Skip
Site Director

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2015, 12:39:49 PM »

On point of Karpman's work is that both parties have a proclivity for drama roles rather than non-drama roles.

You took a drama role in the "baby stroller" incident.

You took one here, too.

Do you see that?

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest