Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 03:33:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: randomly forgetting things she just told me hours or days earlier?  (Read 397 times)
McGahee21

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: September 30, 2015, 11:57:28 PM »

is blackouts or forgetting very basic info normal for people with BPD or sociopaths?  like she just told me her friends bday was in a month on nov 1.  i then told her i know a cool place to get a gift on nov 1 and she told me her gfs bday was on that day... .  this has a been a consistent behavior i have noticed for a few years.  also her texts seem out of sequence randomly sometimes, as if her response has no connection to what i said or what we are talking about at all... .

idk bizarre.  is this a BPD trait?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

McGahee21

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 11:58:37 PM »

she mirrors my language patterns too... .
formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 01:16:14 AM »

also her texts seem out of sequence randomly sometimes, as if her response has no connection to what i said or what we are talking about at all... .

Most likely a trait that shows up when under stress or dysregulating.

Whenever I would get texts from my wife that were misspelled and disjointed, that was reflection of her mental state.

When she was "normal" I would get regular, well formed texts and emails.

I would use the indicators that you have found as "cues" that something is amiss.  Look for things to validate.  Pay close attention to her feelings.

FF

LonelyChild

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 01:18:40 AM »

I once watched a movie with my uBPDxgf. There was a scene in it which she liked very much. It was a very odd scene with sweet music. Definitely something to remember, and she pointed out over and over after watching it that she liked that scene and that we should watch it again. And she cuddled up to me during the scene and said "wow this scene is so cool, I love it."

3-4 days later, the music from that scene came up on TV. I told her: "hey, it's the music from that scene you liked."

She: "What scene?"

Me: "That movie we watched the other day."

She: "What? What movie?"

Me: "Uh, the one with the scene you liked so much."

So I pulled up YouTube and found that scene. With the music. Ie, a clip of that scene from that movie. That we watched.

Her reation: "What? I've never seen this movie."

"Amnesia" is very common among pwBPD. It has to do with different things depenending on the situation. Many times, it's denial because of shame. Other times, it might be detachment and derealization, entering some kind of dream-like state (depending on how severe the BPD is - if you read my posts, you will soon discover that my case is one of the worst imaginable).

When she responds to you in way that lacks connection to the conversation, can you imagine that that is how she feels towards everything around her? She's probably very detached all the time. If you think about this, you can probably also apply it to pwBPDs way of blaming others all the time (if that applies in your case).

This is a DEEPLY rooted issue and not likely to change very much or very fast.

To be concise; yes it IS a BPD trait.
LonelyChild

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 01:21:06 AM »

I would use the indicators that you have found as "cues" that something is amiss.  Look for things to validate.  Pay close attention to her feelings.

FF

Yes, this is absolutely correct. In my case (it might be completely different in yours, but please play close attention), my uBPDxgf would also do this detachment (out of shame and denial, I guess) after doing drugs behind my back or cheating on me. If you suspect that something like that might be happening, I think there's not much point in confronting unless you have some kind of proof. Otherwise you will just be met with denial.

Has anything else happened in her life lately? Job change? Losing a job? New friend? Parents ill? Most stressful things can trigger this detachment for a pwBPD.
McGahee21

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 01:52:17 AM »

FF

Yes, this is absolutely correct. In my case (it might be completely different in yours, but please play close attention), my uBPDxgf would also do this detachment (out of shame and denial, I guess) after doing drugs behind my back or cheating on me. If you suspect that something like that might be happening, I think there's not much point in confronting unless you have some kind of proof. Otherwise you will just be met with denial.

Has anything else happened in her life lately? Job change? Losing a job? New friend? Parents ill? Most stressful things can trigger this detachment for a pwBPD.

her gma just died a few weeks ago, she was acting very very bizarre, her texts were non stop, and massive love bombing... .  very strange erratic behavior.  also her mom is very unstable and im helping her move... .  idk, lately past few days she has been super super nice to me and very open, but tonight some of her texts were just bizarre.   like i told her i was going to get a cat soon, and she replied " eat a cat?' it was just weird... .  also the bday thing, she literally told me her friends bday a few hours earlier, and then forgot she told me... .this is a constant thing that happens... .  it almost seems like im a cartoon character to her, or like not real if that makes any sense
McGahee21

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 01:53:30 AM »

I once watched a movie with my uBPDxgf. There was a scene in it which she liked very much. It was a very odd scene with sweet music. Definitely something to remember, and she pointed out over and over after watching it that she liked that scene and that we should watch it again. And she cuddled up to me during the scene and said "wow this scene is so cool, I love it."

3-4 days later, the music from that scene came up on TV. I told her: "hey, it's the music from that scene you liked."

She: "What scene?"

Me: "That movie we watched the other day."

She: "What? What movie?"

Me: "Uh, the one with the scene you liked so much."

So I pulled up YouTube and found that scene. With the music. Ie, a clip of that scene from that movie. That we watched.

Her reation: "What? I've never seen this movie."

"Amnesia" is very common among pwBPD. It has to do with different things depenending on the situation. Many times, it's denial because of shame. Other times, it might be detachment and derealization, entering some kind of dream-like state (depending on how severe the BPD is - if you read my posts, you will soon discover that my case is one of the worst imaginable).

When she responds to you in way that lacks connection to the conversation, can you imagine that that is how she feels towards everything around her? She's probably very detached all the time. If you think about this, you can probably also apply it to pwBPDs way of blaming others all the time (if that applies in your case).

This is a DEEPLY rooted issue and not likely to change very much or very fast.

To be concise; yes it IS a BPD trait.

yes very similar things have happened to me past few years... .its really spooky
LivingWBPDWife

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 03:08:51 AM »

This happens all the time, but the problem is that you will seem like the crazy one. When this first started happening, or I noticed it, I thought my BPDw was messing with me, and purposely pretending to forget things and act stupid -- But, once I learned my wife was BPD, I started paying more attention, and she REALLY doesn't remember -- the memory is blocked, or during the conversion from short to long term, maybe there is a feeling of invalidation or an association with a negative though, either way, the memory gets purged.

And what sucks is sometimes its HUGE events -- like their favorite movie, dinner, food, event, whatever -- my BPDw says things that just seem nuts sometimes because of this, but now I just play it down -- The other thing is the distortion of truth. I am sure you know all about this, but hours become days, days, years, you never know. We can go out every day or 2 for a month (before the baby), and my BPDw would say "we never go out, we never do anything!" -- Then I list off every single event, and the $1000's spent on them, and she might remember a few, but many times, in her dysregulated state, without me calling on things, she would just go on her happy way telling someone on the phone, I am a monster than never takes her anywhere, when the reality is we would go out all the time.

You can insert "event" into this for your BPD, but forgetting, and reality distortion or temporal distortion is part of the BPD behavior -- good times Smiling (click to insert in post)

LonelyChild

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 03:27:17 AM »

... .

Well. They DO remember. In a sense. It's like when you try to recall a dream. It's fuzzy. But if you're in the right state of mind, you might recall it.

This also connects well with what you point out regarding pwBPDs lack of sense of time. When you're in a dream-like state, time does not work the same way. Short periods of time can feel very long and vice versa. Also, an event can be an hour long and many days long at the same time in dreams. This is their (non-)reality. This is where the exists. In a constant detachment from reality, some kind of limbo. It's absolutely horrible and must be hell to live in.

EDIT: Should also point out that this varies with severeness of BPD. In my uBPDxgf's case, it was VERY severe. Her life was made up of fragmented dream experiences. Speaking of dreams, by the way, maybe this is why they get so upset from dreams? Because they can't draw a clear line between dreams and reality.
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 06:17:08 AM »

Remember, these are emotionally driven memories... .not fact driven.

FF

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest