Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 11:31:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I figured out why validation doesn't work for me  (Read 353 times)
LilMe

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Together 10 years; now living apart since April 2016

« on: October 04, 2015, 08:53:04 AM »

uBPDh told the children that you repeat what people say back to them to show them how stupid it sounds. I understand now why I haven't been very successful at validating! Anyone else run into validation problems?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Daniell85

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 09:32:15 AM »

wow. so he probably has been sitting there thinking you are mimicking him or being disrespectful. Ouch 

My boyfriend LOVES being validated. He wants his feelings and actions normalized... you know anyone could feel that way, or I would feel that way, I can see why you would feel upset enough to do that... .

The validation problems we have is that if there has been a conflict, he has to calm down for a couple of days before he is willing to hear the validation. He really needs that time.
mimi99

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 11:46:36 AM »

I have been trying to validate my DD and it seems to help. Instead of paraphrasing her statements, I just say things like "I can see that must be difficult for you" or "If I were you I would be angry, too" She has actually thanked me recently for acknowledging her feelings. It doesn't stop her twisted thinking, but at least she doesn't feel attacked most of the time anymore.
flourdust

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: In the process of divorce after 12 year marriage

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 12:43:30 PM »

I have been trying validation, and I'm just not good at it. Or it's not right for our situation. I can't figure out which. 

It seems like it's more effective if I'm validating her when she's complaining about things that are, well, not me. Her job, her father, our daughter, her computer, the class she is teaching. I can sometimes do OK with validating ... .at least, she doesn't get any more upset. Sometimes, though, it seems like she's just waiting for me to say something that isn't perfectly supportive or to make some facial expression or move my hands in a way that she can pounce on, and then the problem DOES become me.

But most of the time, what is setting her off is me -- I'm saying the wrong thing, I'm not saying the right thing, and past-me has done a laundry list of terrible things that I have not been absolved for. I've tried to validate in those situations, and it never works. So I usually end up leaving the room, which leaves her angry and adds another tick mark to my laundry list of terrible things. It's a never-ending cycle, and I don't know how to get out of it.

Well, I suppose I could do what I used to do and just beg forgiveness and admit to all kinds of faults and promise to do better in the future. But I'm a terrible actor, and that no longer convinces either of us. And... .I don't WANT to do that. I've started recapturing some of my dignity, and I like it. I don't want to apologize for her blowups. I don't know if there's another way out, though.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest