Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 09:20:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He's in a bad episode and it seems everything i'm doing is wrong. Any advice?  (Read 369 times)
sebastianquinn
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: October 04, 2015, 06:48:41 PM »

Hi everyone,

So first off a little break down of our relationship. We've been together for a few months now and are currently in a long distance relationship until my work transfers me (which could take anywhere from the beginning of November or late winter/early spring).

He's currently in a depressive episode and as such is doing worse than usual. He lost two of his jobs (one for being gay and the other for no reason at all) which obviously hit him hard. At the moment he is very paranoid and depressed and at times suicidal. The past two days have been especially hard on him (and by extension myself) and I can't seem to do anything right. I need some advise.

Please help me.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

waverider
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 05:36:45 AM »

Glad to see you reaching for help in trying to come to terms with this disorder. It does leave us confused and feeling a little helpless at times.

Part of the disorder is a feeling of low self worth and being a failure. Not being able to keep a job for many reasons, non of which on the surface seem to be their own, is also common.

You cannot do this for him without falling into the role of rescuer, this is a role once established is rarely temporary.

What are the reasons that make you believe he is BPD?

Waverider

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
thisagain

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 08:45:56 AM »

That was my first thought about the jobs as well. I know it's tough to see anything outside of how terrible you feel that your beloved is hurting, but try to take a step back. If he is BPD, the odds are very high that he's manufacturing all these crises or bringing them on himself. You can't rescue him from himself, and you'll just wear yourself out trying.

There are a lot of tools you'll learn about here for those times when it feels like you can't do anything right. I would start out by trying to validate his feelings of sadness etc and don't engage in any arguments about what you supposedly did wrong. If that isn't enough to keep him from attacking you, you might need to use some boundaries to take yourself out of the line of fire. I know it feels cruel to (for example) hang up on him when he's clearly suffering so much, but in the long run it's the best thing you can do for both of you. He needs to learn how to handle his emotions without lashing out at you, and you don't deserve to feel like everything you do is wrong.

Please stick around here -- we've all been where you are and there are ways to make it easier on you Smiling (click to insert in post)

babyducks

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 08:14:20 PM »

Hi Sebastian.

Welcome.   It sounds that you are going through a very difficult time.   Dealing with a person suffering from the traits of a serious mental disorder can be confusing, exhausting and painful.   I found it to be very helpful to educate myself, so I knew what I was dealing with, and that is why I come here.

BPD: What is it? How can I tell?

One of the best places to start to learn is The Lessons and they are in the box that runs down the right hand side of the screen.   There is a tremendous amount of helpful information attached to those links.

The Do's and Don'ts for a BP relationship

People who suffer the traits of BPD have intense emotions that they have trouble regulating, especially in times of stress.   There are skills and tools designed by experts in the field of BPD to help with communication and crisis.   Like any skill it takes some practice to develop.    We can help.

Is he receiving any therapy or help at this time?

'ducks

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest