Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 04:53:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Personal stuff / sex and romance  (Read 977 times)
RedPixie

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: November 11, 2015, 06:44:13 AM »

I'm in a pickle.

I upset my SO last night while he was initiating love making.

He put his hand up my shirt to my boob and i wasn't quite "ready"  i said as i withdrew "straight in there" i regreted it immediately. ... i know i should have diverted him or directed him positively but in the moment i was annoyed yet again he was inappropriately "unromantic"

I have a strong hormonal cycle

3 days before and after ovulation I'm like a rampent rabbit

Then i have about 8 days where i need a bit more romance and softness ro "get me there"then about 10 days before and during my period where I'm not interested at all

I know my cycle well - have discussed it millions of times over the last 10 years. Even given him a calendar each month with green days / yellow days and red days so that he knows when I'm most receptive or sensitive.

He hates it, he tells me I'm the one who controls the sex

It has to be my way or i'm not responsive... .

How do i get my needs met - romance

In order to give him what he wants... .sex.

When i tell him what romance means to me

What he can do to "get me there" (e mail nice things i like)

He forgets it all and then gets frustrated with me for not being the one to chase or "want" him.

I've asked many times what i can do to make him feel more in control - thinking that the calendars and clear instructions on how to be romantic would give him the tools to know how to approach me.

This happens on a weekly basis apart from my green days when I'm pretty receptive / he's a great lover and a sexy man. It isn't about him. Its about my needs.

Help?

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 07:38:27 AM »

Because this is an "emotional" disorder that affects intimacy... .this are will likely be problematic.  It can get better and worse... .but likelihood of it ever getting solved and staying that way are low.

I suspect many non to non r/s are that way too.  Sex is an individual thing.

Try to make it fun when you make your point... .make your request.

The calendar is great.  Make a big deal about going after him during those 10 days you have no interest.  There is a pint you are making here.  You are doing things to please him... .he can reciprocate.

When it's over and you have worked him over good... .hand him a card with what you want on it.  Put down the date of a day you are really in the mood... .and write out your request. 

How do you think he would take something like this?

FF

hergestridge

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 08:07:35 AM »

The "calendar" thing is such a great idea. The trouble for a lover of a BPD woman (at least in my case) is that such a thing as good days and bad days for lovemaking couldn't be discussed or brought into the open. When things was at its worst she held me responsible for her lack of sex drive during "bad days" of the months, since she couldn't imagine that her lust would return just a few days later. She simply thought our relationship was in trouble and we would have to have "the talk" (once again).

It seems that much of the trouble related to sex here are more or less common issues in relationship, only that the problems are magnified by one part's inability to handle emotions.

I don't think it's typical for the BPD male to initiate quickly and out of nowhere and that "cuddling always has to lead to sex". It's typical for the male. And I don't think it's typical for the BPD female to withhold sex if she's uncomfortable with the person she's with. I think it's typical for the female. These are all human, healthy behaviors. The unhealthy part is the situation you get yourself into due to the illness.
RedPixie

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 09:49:59 AM »

Thanks i appreciate your replies.

FF - are you saying - go after him when I'm in the 10 days I'm not interested?  I don't understand - I'm not into it so isn't he going to think I'm being fake?  "I have to want it" for him to feel up to it too... .i would find it difficult pretending to desire him when i have no desire at all...  

i go all out when I'm in the green / i make sure he feels like king... .but then when yellow days come around he seems to forget the entire previous week when i was " rabbit" and won't accept that things really arent how he thinks... .he starts saying that we only have sex twice a month... .its just not true. (6 on avrg)

Green week maybe 2-4 times

Yellow week maybe 1-2 times

Red week maybe once if he shows sensitivity

He is a great lover so its nothing that he is or isn't doing its just that "foreplay" - mental stimulation i need on yellow days -  he finds difficult or resents, i don't know

As long as i have " needs" that need to be met before I'm at the same desire level he is at, he will always feel like i control the sex... .

But isn't this the same for ALL women

If we don't want it or aren't ready IT ISN'T HAPPENING.

Its not personal - which he thinks it is a rejection or i don't think he's sexy, or i dont love him etc.

Even though i spend days treating him like king so that he remembers i love him and desire him.

Should i apologise for pushing his hand away and saying "your straight in there" or should i stick to my boundary and accept that this is the way it is. ... .

Radical acceptance is hard.

I've only just found this forum

He has no idea he may have BPD /NPD

I found this through my own desperate attempt to get some answers to the lost and guilty feelings i was having in my relationship with him.

Always feeling blamed for the very things i was bringing up in his behavior always feeling "stupid" or not good enough... .

Apart from those days when I'm all over him and he feels wanted and loved (sexed) the rest of the time is such a struggle.

Sometimes i just want a cuddle that doesn't lead to sex.

I have to do something new , the calendar has been going for about 3 months now but i honestly thik he forgets or isn't interested in where I'm at.

Then my feelings of resentment surface.

Its not fair yada yada yada victim speak... .

Its only been 1 week of JADE

So much to learn! Am i up to a lifetime of this?

I always thought his mood was situational

Miscarriages, debt , death, work, stress all getting to him but now i know it will always be there I'm having a wobble.

Thanks for the guidance

X

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 10:16:20 AM »

FF - are you saying - go after him when I'm in the 10 days I'm not interested?  I don't understand - I'm not into it so isn't he going to think I'm being fake?  "I have to want it" for him to feel up to it too... .i would find it difficult pretending to desire him when i have no desire at all...  

Yes!  Exactly.

You are showing leadership... .that sex is about putting your desires aside to serve your mate.

If you want him to do this... or do more of this for you... .be incredibly obvious about doing it for him. 

Also... as a guy... .be detailed about what you want him to do.  We aren't mind readers and don't take hints very well.

Then... .during times when he is pouncing on you... .and you are not up for it there is a bigger chance that saying no... .or wait... .or slow down... .will be taken better.

FF

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 10:17:46 AM »

So much to learn! Am i up to a lifetime of this?

Yes you are!  The education you get here will make life better... .

You can do this!

FF

Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 02:07:45 PM »

I don't think I handled this kind of thing well, but I didn't understand it at the time. If I knew then what I know now, I would not have taken it personally and considered it hurtful.

I think pw BPD or BPD traits see rejection in little things, even non intended things. What I didn't realize was that this is how my H interpreted the cyclic and normal variations in female interest, as rejection. He didn't seem to have object constancy, or any kind of memory ( when dysregulating) of sex before. In the moment, it was "we NEVER have sex" even if we had it two days ago and then, if we never had sex, then we'd never have it again.

To me, what was a day of having PMS, up all night with a kiddo, was one day, and well tomorrow would be better. I didn't deprive him of sex, but one day would be perceived as a catastrophic to him.

It is good that you are here, learning the lessons and taking steps to help with this, as well as learning not to take it personally.
Leena

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 05:13:59 PM »

I am so glad someone is taking about this.

My problem I think is my uBPDh has said so many nasty things over the 12 yrs of our relationship I have very little desire left for him. He always says in the heat of an argument after saying something 'I want you to remember this if we ever have sex again'. But then next time we have sex 'you know I fancy you so much, I don't mean the things I say'.

SO WHY SAY THEM... .I want to scream.

My youngest is 10 months old, I am about to finish breast feeding. So all that has hampered my sex drive anyway. But I hardly feel like making the effort anymore. Which I know is not going to help, so I try to consciously make time for sex even though I don't feel like it because I hope it will help and maybe my sex drive will return.

But none of that gets recognised, it is all part of my job... .

RedPixie

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 08:25:03 AM »

i'd really love to hear from more of you, especially women with male B/N/PD SO's

FF - yeah i'm sure he'd love that! -  The point I'm making is that at those times I don't want to and shouldn't have to do that.  I give my husband head every time we make love, this morning he came in my mouth! (sorry TMI)

believe me he gets plenty! his perception of our sex life seems so distorted... .(I think it's pretty active and adventurous - he thinks its seldom and i'm always in control of when and how it happens)

((thanks for the vote of confidence, I do hope I learn the lessons able to save my marriage ))

what I want, is to be able to say i'm not in the mood / I don't want to, or i'm too busy without it being a personal insult to him. I want him to understand I am an individual with ups and downs and not an object.

If he didn't always pursue I might be inclined to do more... .

In our "arguments" / disagreements about sex he often battles with me soo hard and then I find he does take on some of what I say for a couple of days even if he never agreed to . . .  then forgets again... .I give praise and thanks but as soon as he has 2 -3 days without sex he forgets that I love him, desire him and that of course I will be all over him again tomorrow... .

I find it so hard when I say i'm not up for it and he withdraws sometimes huffs , in bed if I push off his roving hands I don't get cuddles I get his back. (sometimes I spoon him and hold him when he gets like this as I can sense he feels rejected and I feel sorry for him)

I just want it to be ok, not to be taken so personally.

i'd just love him to be able to say - no worries my love there is always tomorrow... .

I feel so guilty when he's hurting at being turned down.

Pixie

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 08:34:55 AM »

https://youtu.be/Ep2MAx95m20

This video addresses the "attitude" that I believe is helpful. 

The point I am making... .and I believe the video is making... .is to be obvious about doing it when you don't want to.  To be obvious about meeting your partners desires when they conflict with your own.

That opens the door to a conversation about your desires (sexual and non-sexual).

Just like the lady in the video said... .anger needs to be addressed regardless.  Threats... .all of that.

That will take a combination of love and strong boundaries. 

FF

Notwendy

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 09:21:29 AM »

I found it hard to believe that my H didn't seem to have a memory when it came to sex.

I think, in the moment, they are flooded with "rejection" emotion. Also black and white thinking. No sex today means NEVER, even if sex was yesterday.

As to your description of your "activities" that was the cause of a major painting me black. You see, I had a lot of nausea when I was pregnant with our children, but it only lasted the first couple of months. I assumed it was understandable that a certain *activity* was not going to happen if your wife is puking in the toilet. In my mind, this was a temporary situation- not representative of our entire married life together. I assumed he would know that if he got *that* before, then he would likely have *that* after the nausea of pregnancy subsided. To him though, it was all a "NEVER"- and he became very angry at that. To me, not knowing what was happening, I found my H becoming angry and cruel at a time I needed him to be caring. I was carrying our child.

If I had a wish, it would be that I knew then what I knew now, that I knew the lessons here and enough to not take it personally. I wish that I had understood the drama triangle- that at the time, my H saw himself as the victim of sexual neglect on my part, even if the situation had nothing to do with rejecting him.

I will say that our relationship is better having learned more and worked on myself. I think you are fortunate to have learned this at this stage.
Anise

Relationship status: married

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 10:17:08 AM »

I can say that sex with my uBPDh is very difficult at best.  He has ED, due to what I suspect is projecting his mother onto me, which gets in the way of anything physical as it causes an anxiety cycle for him, no matter how gentle/understanding/patient I am.  But then he will revise history on top of things as well.

He spent the first year of our marriage rejecting me, preferring TV/ipad games.  So I gave up asking him.  Now, in his head it's my fault we don't have sex because I don't approach him anymore, and "it's all on him".

We recently spent a nice vacation in France. We were not intimate once.  He claimed afterwards, "well I'm not going to chase you across the bed!"  These are not California King beds they have there, more like full size or queen size.

The other night he offered to be intimate with me, which I agreed to.  We cuddled, plumbing didn't work, so I said, "well we can try again tomorrow".  He said the next day that we didn't have sex because I "wasn't into it".

I wish I could say we are an example of things going well, but it's just not.  He will always have an excuse for why he doesn't need to deal with the issue, so it just doesn't happen.  But if I get angry because he's wasting my fertility and make a crack that I should just wait for a stork to show up, you would think I killed his family.  He will claim he wants kids though.

Even when things were going well, it's always in getting his needs met. The positions and activities he likes. If I ask for it often enough he will sometimes do something for me, but it never lasts very long.

As far as romance goes, I mentioned strewing rose petals on the bed as a joke and he completely freaked out and started worrying about how to keep the bedroom clean.
RedPixie

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 10:32:51 AM »

Thanks i appreciate your replies.

great vid.

got it!

I have tried this too when I can sense the pressure building, sometimes if I pretend I want it,  its fine, but i'm human (I will try harder) he demanded that he didn't want me if I wasn't "feeling it" I guess this is where the BPD comes in.

maybe the narcissist in him can't bear the perceived thought that I don't want HIM all the time... .rather than it having nothing to do with him the reason for me not wanting IT. (although if we argue and he rages, breaks stuff, injures me accidently and causes me to be scared and anxious... .it takes me a few days to "want him" ! he's always sorry.)

he says all the time - aren't I irresistible?

thanks for sharing the vid - although I did feel quite defensive at first / I don't believe that we have a sex starved marriage. but I guess his disorder means, he thinks we do... .

There are other factors in play - last summer he had a sexual encounter (and a deep depression since we lost our twin boys 24.12.2011) which after a short period of remorse he was moody, disagreeable, critical, petulant. I was heart broken and felt so guilty and insecure, and all he could do was focus on himself saying my issues with his behaviour were my problem, if I didn't like it, I didn't like him... .and so on.

and then every now and then he says - "I wish I was dead" ... .or "that would be a good way to die"

It hurts me that he doesn't remember making love 6 times in the last 2 weeks when he says we have sex twice a month he's remembering the worst times / when he's been so moody and destructive that I haven't wanted to come near him... .its all distorted to suit how he feels... .

@NotWendy  *that*  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)  yeah not the best activity with nausea for sure / it must have been hard not having him present for you  . i'm learning lots here ! thanks for sharing.

@FF - how do you have the time and patience to be so helpful! I've been reading all the boards and you certainly are very proactive in your questions and comments Smiling (click to insert in post) THANK YOU !

ps - i'm in the UK
RedPixie

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 10:44:24 AM »

I can say that sex with my uBPDh is very difficult at best.  He has ED, due to what I suspect is projecting his mother onto me, which gets in the way of anything physical as it causes an anxiety cycle for him, no matter how gentle/understanding/patient I am.  But then he will revise history on top of things as well.

He spent the first year of our marriage rejecting me, preferring TV/ipad games.  So I gave up asking him.  Now, in his head it's my fault we don't have sex because I don't approach him anymore, and "it's all on him".

We recently spent a nice vacation in France. We were not intimate once.  He claimed afterwards, "well I'm not going to chase you across the bed!"  These are not California King beds they have there, more like full size or queen size.

The other night he offered to be intimate with me, which I agreed to.  We cuddled, plumbing didn't work, so I said, "well we can try again tomorrow".  He said the next day that we didn't have sex because I "wasn't into it".

I wish I could say we are an example of things going well, but it's just not.  He will always have an excuse for why he doesn't need to deal with the issue, so it just doesn't happen.  But if I get angry because he's wasting my fertility and make a crack that I should just wait for a stork to show up, you would think I killed his family.  He will claim he wants kids though.

Even when things were going well, it's always in getting his needs met. The positions and activities he likes. If I ask for it often enough he will sometimes do something for me, but it never lasts very long.

As far as romance goes, I mentioned strewing rose petals on the bed as a joke and he completely freaked out and started worrying about how to keep the bedroom clean.

Oh how awful! I feel humled by that x x

I remember trying to get pregnant - the sex is kinda important! that is so difficult when you don't feel connected.

ED?

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 10:53:03 AM »

but I guess his disorder means, he thinks we do... ..

Change this to feels... .

"Nons" generally think things... .pwBPD usually feel things.

How does this apply here... .in situations where you are tired and don't want to have sex with him... .validation may work.

Or possibly SET... with the T being that you will make him holler tomorrow night... .but tonight you have a headache (or whatever).

https://bpdfamily.com/content/communication-skills-validation

Listen... .nothing in here means that anyone has lost complete control over their bodies and when they have sex.  That is not healthy.

Especially in notwendy's situation... pregnant and puking.  I think the lady in the video would jerk a knot in him quick.  

Plus... her reference at the start of the video... .to "some extreme issues" or high or low sex desires (or however she worded it)... .probably apply to many BPD r/s.

Still... .the point is... .have sex with your mate... .lots of it.  I look at it like validation... it's sort of the oil that smooths things out.

FF

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 10:53:55 AM »

ED?

Erectile dysfunction...

Anise

Relationship status: married

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 10:54:23 AM »

ED -> Erectile Dysfunction

At first we thought it was a side effect of some medication he was taking at the time(could still have been for all I know), but ever since it started it has been something we need to work with.  He is not on the medication anymore, so at this point I think it is more of his projection of his mother onto me, and any anxiety cycle he has in his head, more than anything else.

Edit: to clarify his medicine use
ArleighBurke

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: was married - 15 yrs

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 09:39:51 PM »

I've gotta chime in.

I'm a non-BPD (male) 40yrs old and it's only in the last few years *I* havn't taken a no as rejection.

Like your husband, I get "in the mood" and want to start touching. When wife says no, not yet, let's talk, let's cuddle, ANYTHING - it feels like rejection. And if I don't get sex tonight it FEELS like I "never" get any.

I started logging when we did have sex - just to show me that it certainly WAS regular. And it was! But every rejection stung. It's only been the past few years that I have "matured?" to the point of being able to take a no non-personally - knowing that in a few more night's it'll be on again.

That's coming from a non-BPD who supposedly can manage his emotions. I can't imagine what it would feel like for a BPD... .

Perhaps you can frame a "no" as a "yes tomorrow night we're going to... ." and be descriptive. Or frame a "I'm not ready yet" as "we will have sex tonight, but first I want to... .".   The other thing I'd love is some sort of affection/attention given to me, while your are getting ready. So if you want to chat for a while to connect, rubbing my chest or upper thigh or something sexual "keeps" me in the mood - and I'm happy to wait. But I know my wife says she can't do that - because if she's not yet in the mood then those things are also wrong.

Hope some of this helps.

Your journey, your direction. Be the captain!
C.Stein

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 09:54:40 PM »

I'll chime in to.

For me it is more than just sex, at least at this point in my life it is.  I can get myself off, I didn't need my ex to do it for me.  What I wanted with her was the intimate and emotional connection of making love.  The more she hurt me emotionally the less interested I was in being physical.  There were even a couple of times when I had a hard time getting it up (which is usually never a problem) due to my damaged emotions at the time.   This is something I am sure she took personally, which in some ways she should have.  It didn't have anything to do with not loving her or being attracted to her physically, but the emotional pain kept me from wanting to be with her because it felt more like a performance than making love.
Notwendy

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 10:06:16 PM »

I can understand my H feeling rejected if that is an expected response, but I thought it was so obvious at the time that I was temporarily not up to it and wished he understood the temporary part.

However, at the time, he decided to retaliate and reject me. I was painted black- and at a time when I was either pregnant or raising small children.

I didn't understand it at the time. To counteract the "Never" and the rages that were upsetting the kids, I decided to just "do it" whenever he wanted just to get some peace and quiet in the home and also some sleep. I was up a lot at night with the kids. So, in the evening, I would think "well, we can fight about this, or I can just do it and get to sleep".

I don't have an issue with one spouse "taking it for the team" once in a while as part of harmony in the relationship. However, this wan't a team. It was just about keeping the peace at the moment. I suppose it was better than the alternative- fighting at night at the time.

I can honestly say that I did not deprive him- ever. He got sex, perhaps not every single time he wanted it, but there was not a significant lag in it. It hurt to be accused of "never" no matter what.

I eventually got cynical about it, like what was the point, he wasn't going to remember it anyway. He feels insulted when I say this, but really, I wish it was memorable.

This wrecked havoc on my emotions. I don't recommend it. Sex is good between two consenting people. This was co-dependent sex, just to keep the peace.

RedPixie

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2015, 05:27:35 AM »

Thank you so much for sharing with me.

I was wondering if others with BPDso experienced the same thing or whether it had nothing to do with the Bpd...

Thanks for your insights ArleighBurke

Its not that i don't want the sex... .i do, its great and love it.

Its on these yellow days I'm more soft, sensitive and need intimacy, romance and connection to "get me aroused" before I'm ready...   its these days he struggles sometimes

Sometimes he's fine and understands so i guess its not all bad. I just have to be ok with saying no and not feeling guilty for it. I know the reality of the situation /

Your posts have all made me realise there are a lot worse positions to be in... .  so while i am sorry for you NotWendy & Anise, i am grateful for my pwBPD being quite a bit more sensitive than you SO's ... ED must be so difficult to cope with / mother fantasies - wow. Strength to you.

A reality check. Thanks

I'd still love to hear more thoughts from anyone who's not too shy.

Its such an important part of our relationships with our pwBPD.

X x

Pixie

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2015, 06:03:44 AM »

Sometimes it's hard to figure out where "maleness" ends and "BPDish" stuff starts.  I get it... there is not set answer.

I probably wouldn't have described a no as "stinging" in my younger years... .because we had lots of sex.  I also wouldn't say I was a fan of it though.

Hormones:  I'm in my 40s and I can tell things have calmed down a bit for me.  I can actually pay attention to what is going on, vice be overwhelmed with "stimulus"      

I'm quite sure I wasn't aware, interested or cared  (ok cared might be a bit strong... ) what was going on with my wife because i was so overwhelmed by all the good feelings. 

Somewhere towards my late 30s and certainly into my 40s I was able to slow down some, pay attention and focus on the "results" of what I was doing to her... .vice what was "happening" to me.

Really hope this makes sense.

Because I could see this (what I was like in my 20s) looking uncaring or demanding.  I was appreciative after... .and before things go started... .but was the engine got revving... .not much interest in waiting... .or I was anxious while waiting.

FF

AsGoodAsItGets

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2015, 06:52:16 AM »

The calander bluh, ugh.  Look i love my girlfriend, and respect her sexual needs if a calander was part of that fine, but i know in the past short relationship i didnt cate what my ex was communicating because i didnt love her, and since i was getting my immideate secal need meet or my love need met, will the relationship fell apart once sje was ftistrated enough.  Not exactly how a BPD thinks but they only feel a need in the moment, so its situational thinking and feeling for them.  Dont take it personally.  Good luck.
Notwendy

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 06:53:23 AM »

I think the feelings are understandable- disappointment, feeling rejected when there is a no, or the partner isn't immediately warmed up. Perhaps some of this is the difference between how someone responds to emotional or visual stimuli.

For instance, a romantic movie scene with all kinds of lovey -dovey sweet stuff has me thinking "I would love that" while perhaps the sight of a naked person for someone else would be enough to say "let's go!".

That was a difference between us. I think because my H was visual, he assumed I was too. One area of disconnect was that he didn't help much with the house and kids. Fair enough, as he was the chief wage earner, but the way things worked was like this. He would come home from work, want to relax and recharge. I would fix dinner, feed anyone who needed help, clean up dinner, bath kids, put kids to bed ( he would help some with this by reading a bedtime story), then straighten up a bit. Then, when I was finished, exhausted, I'd walk into the bedroom to find "recharged" hubby had been waiting for me to get there, and he was "ready to go". I wanted some peace and quiet at that point.

This could be a typical scene, except that trying to ask for something I needed- if he even helped with clean up, or put the kids to be so I could perhaps relax for a few minutes. If we had any romantic time together first, if he understood that just because he was "ready to go" that didn't mean I was at a moment's notice. It was not that this was unusual but that discussion of this led to circular arguments, raging over it. Because I felt that I had no way to change this for the better for both of us, and I wanted peace in the home, I basically just did sex as another function on the way to what I needed: sleep. But again, doing this took out any emotional pleasure I might have from it.

So yes, if there is potential to help this- do it now. I didn't know any better.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2015, 10:27:40 AM »

I'll echo Notwendy's comments about feeling overwhelmed, unsupported, and expected to be a ready sex partner. That was my experience in my first marriage. Though we didn't have kids, we had a business together and he frequently would have a BPDish fit and walk out on our work while I'd dutifully finish my responsibilities and his. This built up a lot of anger with me, added to that was the infidelity, violence and financial irresponsibility.

So did I want to f*@k him? NO! I was so angry.

Then he'd get annoyed that I NEVER did it with him and he'd start keeping track on the calendar. It got to the point where I'd just say, OK, just do it. It was like having to wash a sink full of dishes or take out the garbage--just a chore that was necessary but somewhat unpleasant.

And I used to be a very sexual woman.

That part of me got re-ignited several years later when I got together with my second BPD husband. Then, the drinking and prescription drug use, the BPD behavior (much less impactful than the first husband, but still disturbing), and menopause all conspired to diminish my interest to the point of zero most of the time.

Some of the things I've witnessed from this husband--like hitting himself in the head during a dysregulation and saying, "Is this what you want? You hate me. You just want me dead." --I really don't know how I could ever be sexually attracted to someone who has behaved like that. Thankfully it's been some time since one of those scenes has happened, but still, it completely destroyed my feelings of attraction toward him.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2015, 10:52:43 AM »

Some of the things I've witnessed from this husband--like hitting himself in the head during a dysregulation and saying, "Is this what you want? You hate me. You just want me dead." --I really don't know how I could ever be sexually attracted to someone who has behaved like that. Thankfully it's been some time since one of those scenes has happened, but still, it completely destroyed my feelings of attraction toward him.

This sort of makes the point that when they dysregulate... .best option is to no longer be around.

Ignorance is bliss... .in many cases where BPD is involved.

FF

RedPixie

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2015, 11:47:25 AM »

mine does this - bashing his head / you hate me / I can't be what you want / I wish I was dead... .

He doesn't want "IT" - if  he can tell i'm not 100% into it.  but then gets upset that i'm not all over him with desire all the time.

i'm not up to it every night  - I want the love making to be memorable - I don't think I should have to pretend/fake arousal because his ego/pride needs me to , we have plenty for me to not have to do this.

should I be faking cheeriness/ arousal/ hiding my hurt and frustrated feelings all the time

I hope that over the next few weeks things will improve - we haven't had any Raging since Halloween, nearly 2 weeks ago - hopefully with less arguments will come more opportunities for me to get "romance"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

what I described as romance to him in an e mail last month... .:

Romance , intimacy and connection:

Love notes, a picked flower, a coffee in bed, a date, quality time, no TV, a dance, a bath, a walk, a talk about dreams, candles, something fun, surprises, silly gifts…

Things I love

When you want to initiate intimacy with me:

1st -  Loving eyes, soft kisses, gentle touches and nice words “tell me sweet things”

I love to have my neck kissed and face touched before my breasts are ready.

I sometimes like things to be very slow, at first strokes through my clothes and knickers and only diving in when I’m pushing myself into you. 

These things will make me feel connected and much more turned on and eager to make love

When I’m premenstrual

I want to feel loved, cherished stroked and kissed in a loving non sexual caring way

I don’t want to have to turn you down or away, I want to feel accepted as a woman that has a cycle.

If you want a blow job follow the 1st line and then ask for one / say please

it would be my pleasure to please you

When I seem to be frisky and persuing you: { ovulation times )

If you wanted you could be rough and talk dirty to me. I like naughty sex when I’m frisky.

I like to be spanked and sexed in all manner of places

I like to be told what to do, it turns me on.

x x x

--------------------------------------------

I honestly thought the calendar and these suggestions would work last month, but he's dyslexic he finds it so hard to read that he dreads e mails from me. I realise now that they were too long and too many requests...

I wonder if his dyslexia has anything to do with his need to prove himself right and clever all the time... .

if I vocalise any of this it sets off his insecurities.

x x

Grey Kitty

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2015, 11:51:58 AM »

This happens on a weekly basis apart from my green days when I'm pretty receptive / he's a great lover and a sexy man. It isn't about him. Its about my needs.

I'm going to call BS, on saying it isn't about him. There is something big hidden in this which is 100% about him.

He doesn't CARE about your needs, or is INCAPABLE of meeting them. Doesn't really matter. What does matter is that HE ISN'T MEETING YOUR NEEDS FOR PLEASURABLE SEX.

From what you are saying, your needs are different throughout your cycle, and he is only failing to meet them during part of it. That doesn't change his failure.

This is obviously a serious problem.

It is complicated by our culture which makes talking about sex difficult, and further complicated by his being a pwBPD and unable to hear criticism without dysregulating.

There is one part that I've got very strong feelings about, and don't think there is any room to compromise on this boundary issue--Your body is yours, and any sex (involving you) must be consensual. If you don't want to do it, you are not required to do it. You may withhold your consent for sex for any time for any reason. You may do it for no reason at all, and you are not required to offer any reason. No means no. In addition, a lack of a clear (even if non-verbal) YES on your part should mean no.

As I said, I feel very strongly about this--you always have the right to say no, and do not even need a reason.

So hold that thought in your head at the same time you consider this:

FF - are you saying - go after him when I'm in the 10 days I'm not interested?  I don't understand - I'm not into it so isn't he going to think I'm being fake?  "I have to want it" for him to feel up to it too... .i would find it difficult pretending to desire him when i have no desire at all...  

If you feel forced sex with him when you aren't feeling desire, it will build resentment, and you will feel violated. If you say "yes" because you are afraid of the consequences of saying no, that isn't good or healthy.

If you choose to have sex with him--because you want to improve your relationship with him, even when you aren't feeling the desire, it is completely different. (And easier if you know that the is likely to show up later.) If you say yes out of generosity and love instead of fear, it is good and healthy.

And so far, everything I've said here (like the TED Talk) applies to any relationship.

Now we have to add BPD/NPD traits, dysregulations, etc. into the mix, and you need better tools to communicate on top of understanding all this.
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »

I don't know, Pixie, but I think that for both men and men with BPD, sometimes if we tell them what we want, it becomes too much of a thinking process rather than just allowing nature to take its course.

I'm sure that some men would really appreciate an explanation of women's mysterious mood cycles and how to best approach us. But in my experience, it's been received as "OK, now you're telling me to jump through hoops... ."

Men weigh in on this?

I'm so out of practice sexually and it really surprises me because I was so into it as a younger woman. I've just experienced so much damage from my first husband being an unrelenting cheater and now being so disappointed that my current husband is so not emotionally healthy. He really had me fooled for a number of years. I thought I finally had a well-adjusted partner.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2015, 11:59:07 AM »

Grey Kitty, your wisdom and understanding make you a very sexy man. I hope you find a wonderful woman to rock your world. 

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest