Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 07:29:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is she setting my up?  (Read 365 times)
twitchy

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: November 13, 2015, 10:50:55 AM »

Yesterday I spent all day with my wife, with no issues or problems.  Last night as we watched the news I got a little nervous because when she hears the name of a city where a lady from a previous r/s lives, it triggers her.  During the weather forecast, that name is always on display on the map.  I think that she doesn’t want to see or hear that name so she might close her eyes so as not to see the name on the weather map but if the weatherman says the name out loud, she will react and I fear she might explode but lately she has stayed cool.  It is nerve-wracking.  I pray that she will not dysregulate.  Apparently she can sense my discomfort because she will ask me what I am thinking to which I reply with some comment the news or weather forecaster has just made. 

It is usually her suggestion that we watch the news, so is she setting me up or something?

Twitchy
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Chilibean13

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 11:55:47 AM »

That's a hard question to answer. Has she ever accused you watching the news in order to think about the exgf?

My guess is that when she hears the name then asks you what you are thinking, she may be picking up on tension in you. You may have a conditioned stress response to that particular news segment due to her previous responses.  Then again, she may also feel so uncomfortable hearing the name of the town that she is looking to you for cues in how to respond. She may be feeling uncertain and wants to know if it's ok for her to feel uncertain.

twitchy

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 12:58:50 PM »

"My guess is that when she hears the name then asks you what you are thinking, she may be picking up on tension in you."

You may be on to something Chilibean13, at first I was the one that would tune in to the news but when she began to react to that city being mentioned, I began trying to avoid the news. 

She seems to have the ability to pickup on what I am feeling then she will question why I am feeling that way but usually I will deny having said feelings.

Twitchy
CrazyChuck

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 01:21:26 PM »

she will ask me what I am thinking

My wife will do similar things. But I know she already has "what I'm thinking" in her head and it doesn't matter what I say. She probably hears in her mind that you are thinking about the ex. And what you say is "It might rain tomorrow".
babyducks

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 01:37:14 PM »

PwBPD are highly highly sensitive.    They can pick up on subtle changes in mood, tone, or facial expressions.    Typically they assume the worst.

I would recommend telling the truth when she asks but keeping the truth very mild.   Something like I never enjoy this part of the evening news and letting the topic drop.

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
twitchy

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 10:32:24 AM »

Thanks y'all, I must try to not anticipate things so as not to become tense or nervous.  This weekend was a pleasant one.

Twitchy
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest