Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 10:04:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you deal with the mixed messages?  (Read 497 times)
sweet tooth

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: November 14, 2015, 01:54:01 PM »

I've been seeing a woman for 7 months. She has mild BPD traits. Regarding sex, she's simultaneously a prude and adventurous. She's insinuated that she'd like to get sexual with me at some point. We have complications, such as we both live with our parents and she has a kid. Privacy is an issue. She's told me she's not sure about having sex with me, but last night she told me that she feels "sexually frustrated." Not sure what to make of it. I'm afraid to initiate hand holding or kissing beyond s peck on the cheek. She's had a lot of men get handset with her before she was ready and she dropped them.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

waverider
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 06:29:37 PM »

Welcome Sweet tooth

Life can be fill of mixed messages when dealing with people wlth BPD. We understand the confusion this can cause for partners.

Have read up much on typical BPD behaviors?:BPD BEHAVIORS

What aspects make you suspect BPD?

If she has BPD most of what she will be saying wil be the thought/feeling of the moment. This is often inconsistent and contradictory.

It is important in this environment to stay consistent in yourself rather than constantly trying to second guess, and playing catch up, in order to appease.

Feel free to tell us more

Waverider

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
sweet tooth

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 07:16:20 PM »

Waverider:

I'm not qualified to make a diagnosis. However, she has exhibited some BPD behaviors:

-I've seen her drive wrecklessly in a parking garage.

-She frequently contradicts herself. I've noticed a weak sense of self. She constantly changes her mind regarding career goals. She waffles on her religious beliefs. Sometimes she's a Christian. Other times she's a Buddhist. Sometimes she will change how she dresses (usually fairly conservatively) or acts to accommodate other people's views.

-She has had a string of unsuccessful relationships with abusive men.

-She has told me she has a difficult time maintaining friendships.

-She will become withdrawn for days, weeks, or a month and then usually reappear as if nothing ever happened. The latest time she told me she was feeling depressed.

-She's generally emotionally unstable. I get a "Jeckyl and Hyde" effect between somebody who is completely withdrawn and ignores me to somebody who is outgoing, fun, and likes my company.

-She openly has a fear of commitment and abandonment.

Like I said, I don't know what it is. However, she is "off." I've been trying to convince her to go to counseling.

sweet tooth

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 07:28:55 PM »

Also, I have very little dating and relationship experience. I don't know how much of this is just me going into panic mode because I'm venturing into uncharted territory. I've never been this close or comfortable with a woman as I am with her. I've never experienced intercourse. I was abused and it's been an issue for me all my life. I want to make love with this woman soo badly when we're ready. It's extraordinarily frustrating.
waverider
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 04:17:02 AM »

Also, I have very little dating and relationship experience. I don't know how much of this is just me going into panic mode because I'm venturing into uncharted territory. I've never been this close or comfortable with a woman as I am with her. I've never experienced intercourse. I was abused and it's been an issue for me all my life. I want to make love with this woman soo badly when we're ready. It's extraordinarily frustrating.

There is a fair chance that this makes you vulnerable to being with a pwBPD as the  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post)  dont come as readily, or put you off as quickly.

Do you feel your anxiety and self doubt increasing?

Counceling wont do any good unless she really wants to go for her own reasons

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
sweet tooth

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 06:49:38 AM »

Yes, my anxiety and self doubt are increasing. I am going to counseling.
Grey Kitty

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 08:15:08 AM »

Two different perspectives on mixed messages... .BPD perspective and 'healthy relationship' perspective.

The healthy relationship perspective on mixed messages is simple, especially when a relationship is just starting out... .

You are worth being with somebody who unambiguously wants to be with you. Take a yes/no/yes/no/maybe/yes/no as a "No, this isn't good enough for me" and move on.

Maybe it is mind games or testing you--and if she's doing that now early on, most likely they will continue or even get worse. I'm not interested in somebody who plays games with me or my heart. I'm worth better than that.

Maybe she's confused and doesn't know what she wants.

For me, if I'm looking for a woman, I want somebody who knows what she wants, chooses it and goes after it. (And I'm it!) The reason for the mixed message doesn't matter too much--it isn't a good sign, whatever the reason.

I don't mean that a r/s has to jump immediately to sex--If a woman tells me she needs to go slowly into a r/s or sex, I'd honor and respect that. That isn't a mixed message like you describe.

The BPD perspective on mixed messages is a little different... .well, perhaps not its impact on you, but the rationale behind it is a little clearer.

A pwBPD tends to believe that whatever they are feeling, RIGHT NOW, is an absolute fact, and they will more-or-less modify their understanding of the world so that everything in their past, present, and future perfectly fits those feelings. And their feelings change often, which requires them to re-define the world that often.

So she's feeling horny one minute, and pulls you in.

Next time you see her, she's feeling scared of being hurt by jumping into a sexual relationship too quickly (again!) and pushes you away.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest