Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 07:38:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Does the Cat Say?  (Read 397 times)
Chilibean13

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: November 23, 2015, 01:19:52 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the right board for this, so please feel free to move if needed.

My uBPDh and I have 3 cats and 1 dog. My H has a favorite relationship with one cat in particular. He talks to the cat and gives him lots of love and attention and this same cat does the same to him.

I've noticed over the last couple of months when my H is feeling sad or anxious but not dysregulated that he projects onto the cat. I'm gleaning a lot from his conversation about the cat. He will say things like "Rascal is sad today." or "I think Rascal is scared." or "Rascal's feelings are hurt." In all these scenarios, Rascal is just being Rascal with no out of the ordinary behavior. He sometimes does this with the dog too. We recently had another dog pass away and when he is missing that dog, he will say that the surviving dog misses Twister. In reality, he means he misses Twister.

Has anyone else seen this with their pets?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

JohnLove

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 01:39:34 PM »

Meow meow meow... .Laugh out loud (click to insert in post). (with reference to that really annoying song).

I have not seen this but I have experienced people refer to themselves in the third person.

I wonder if there's something in this for you?... .I wonder if speaking through rascal he is removed and better able to articulate his feelings?
Chilibean13

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 02:33:15 PM »

That's how I interpret it. When he does this, I get him to open up a little about his feelings before they blow up.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 02:42:36 PM »

While this is different, if it works, it works.  When you try to validate what he says the cat is feeling, how does that go?  If he relaxes a bit, then I think you have found a way to "target" the right emotions.                      

FF

Chilibean13

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 03:45:57 PM »

It usually goes very well because he loves Rascal so much that just thinking about what Rascal is "feeling" makes him feel better. So when I lead in to what he is experiencing too he is open to talking about it.
hellosun

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 08:23:31 PM »

Aww that's so sweet. I'm glad your husband has Rascal. It's wonderful that this allows you to connect with him better, as well. Smiling (click to insert in post)
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 06:28:40 AM »

I have seen parents do this by talking via their toddlers. Its almost dragging a third party into being a "validation partner' so they dont feel alone it it... eg "We are having a bad day aren't we"

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 06:43:48 AM »

This could be because of poor boundaries, - not knowing where "I" end and "you" begin. Not seeing Rascal as a separate being with feelings of his own, but as an extension of your H. It could also be a bit of mind reading- "if I feel/think something then you must be feeling it too".

However, since this doesn't seem to affect Rascal- what a great insight you have into what your H is feeling.

As WW said, this can also happen with children, but in this case, it does affect a child. The child may also grow up with poor boundaries, not knowing what are his or her own feelings and what are someone elses. An emotionally healthy parent helps a child develop boundaries by reinforcing them- validating their feelings - even if they are separate and not positive ones towards the parent. - the latter becoming a problem as a child grows up and begins to assert him/her self.

For instance, as WW said, a mother could be enmeshed with a toddler- but when that toddler begins to talk- says no, gets angry at the parent ( all kids do, especially when the parent says " no- you can not have that toy" in a store or cookies before dinner. ). The normal response of an upset toddler may feel threatening to a parent with a poor sense of self.

Cats are about the perfect pet for someone with BPD because a cat is in control of the relationship! As long as Rascal is being well taken care of, then he's going to be fine.
Chilibean13

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 07:33:01 AM »

Cats are about the perfect pet for someone with BPD because a cat is in control of the relationship! As long as Rascal is being well taken care of, then he's going to be fine.

The cat is always the boss! And he is very well cared for--can you say spoiled?  . My H may go into rages occasionally but he has never ever taken it out on the pets. He is so gentle and kind and loving towards them. That's one of the things I love most about him. He enjoys all sorts of animals and has almost a magical relationship with them, even wild animals.
TheRealJongoBong

Relationship status: married

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 10:07:32 AM »

I say good for him, that he has a relationship where he feels safe to show his emotions! What can I learn from the cat to improve our communications?
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 04:09:10 PM »

What can I learn from the cat to improve our communications?

Not to be reactive and when enoughs enough quietly leave and make yourself scarce and not be pressured into doing anything that you dont want to.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
bruceli

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 04:55:45 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the right board for this, so please feel free to move if needed.

My uBPDh and I have 3 cats and 1 dog. My H has a favorite relationship with one cat in particular. He talks to the cat and gives him lots of love and attention and this same cat does the same to him.

I've noticed over the last couple of months when my H is feeling sad or anxious but not dysregulated that he projects onto the cat. I'm gleaning a lot from his conversation about the cat. He will say things like "Rascal is sad today." or "I think Rascal is scared." or "Rascal's feelings are hurt." In all these scenarios, Rascal is just being Rascal with no out of the ordinary behavior. He sometimes does this with the dog too. We recently had another dog pass away and when he is missing that dog, he will say that the surviving dog misses Twister. In reality, he means he misses Twister.

Has anyone else seen this with their pets,

WOW yes!  I constantly get... ."look how upset YOU made_____ with all of YOUR yelling and screaming." The stories she tells of her guard dogs prowess' s are legendary, yet at the very first sign of the slightest raised voice... .the dog tucks tail and runs.
BeMore

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 08:26:41 PM »

I find this very interesting... .it took me forever to find these boards ( a year)... .all during that time I wasted so much time and energy trying desperately to teach my bf the principle of projection... .he just can't seem to absorb the idea... .Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)... .this idea of projecting onto the cat is laughable on one hand, and yet (now) makes so much sense... .I just never imagined there was such a well defined set of " symptoms"... .up until now I just could NOT wrap my head around what I perceived to be a deliberate behavior on his part... .wow. Anyway, your post immediately made me think about how my bf constantly refers to himself in the third person... .never could understand it before, just thought it was an idiosyncracy, now I realize, belatedly, how it is a way they tolerate and process emotion... .from a distance, and even through... .cats!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest