Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 07:34:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Helping Children cope  (Read 361 times)
LilMe

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Together 10 years; now living apart since April 2016

« on: December 21, 2015, 11:11:52 AM »

I read your messages, but this is my first time posting here.  I usually hang out on the Staying board, but I could really use some advice.

In a nutshell, I tried leaving my uBPDh, but ending up coming back after less than a year.  While I was gone he hired a fancy lawyer and threatened me and got a 50/50 custody agreement.  I had no lawyer and no money, so I stupidly signed off on it, thinking I had no choice.  I also found out I was pregnant and now have a 1 year old that he intended to include on the custody agreement if I didn't come back.

Our other two children (now 7 and 8) did not do well spending so much time alone with him.  He physically punished them, as well as shaming and guilting and lots of Narcissist crap.  Not to mention that he didn't clean the house or change their sheets and rarely their clothes.  Since I have been back, he hasn't physically touched them because I told him I will call the police and report it if he does.  He is high functioning and has money.  I am a housewife and we are not legally married so I basically have nothing.

My dilemma is how to deal with the damage that continues to be inflicted on the children.  Since I no longer react to his rages and demands since I returned, he verbally abuses me in front of the children daily.  When he rages at them, I can usually get him off them and onto me, and after he is finished I talk with them and validate their feelings and let them know that the horrible things he says about all of us are not true.  But it is not enough!  I can already see that my d8 is a pleaser so that he doesn't rage and verbally abuse her.  My s7 has problems controlling his emotions and acts out.

This is not to say he is a terrible father.  He does some really great things.  Today the weather is really nice and warm so he took them on a bike ride.  I try to praise the good, but it still doesn't erase the bad.

Example:  This morning s7 left some chocolate on the table.  The baby saw it and started crying for it.  uBPDh had previously told s7 to keep his chocolate put up where the baby couldn't see it.  So he took the chocolate and threw it away.  I am OK with that.  The problem is the 15 minute screaming rage that came after.  Him telling us that no one listens to him and we all disobey on purpose to make him mad, no one cares about his feelings or we would do what he says, how he is just trying to keep things peaceful (?) blah, blah, blah.  I calmly ask him to please take a break and calm down.  Of course he just yells at me then.  I am a bad mother, it is my fault the children are so bad, blah, blah, blah.  He finally stormed outside and I was able to talk to the children and calm them down.  I told s7 that he shouldn't have left the candy out, but it was not ok for uBPDh to react like that, etc.

Another example:  Yesterday he asked the children what they learned at Sunday School.  They were a little confused and didn't get the story exactly right.  He corrected them and told them they were liars!  He told them that if anyone ever says something that is not true they are a liar.  Later I talked with them and told them that is not true and they are not liars and explained the difference between a mistake and a lie.  Ugh.

Is there anything else I can do (or not do?).  Thanks in advance.

livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 02:37:19 PM »

Hi LilMe,

Sorry I didn't see this until now. Be gentle with yourself about your choices -- these relationships can emotionally injure us and wear down self esteem. Many feel depressed and that makes it hard to problem solve and see things clearly.

A couple of things have helped me with my own son, who was developing BPD traits like his dad. One was validation, but even more than that, asking validating questions. S14 seemed to have no capacity for solving his own problems. As someone who tends to fix and rescue, I really contributed to this. I found these resources really helpful, especially the validating questions:

And your experience with BPD dad calling the kids liars is a big one. Something I started to do with S14 about 4 years ago is teach him the difference between lying, forgetting, privacy, withholding. Richard Warshak is an author who talks about this in a book called Divorce Poison, mostly because these very tricky situations come in divorced homes when one parent is BPD, where the other parent is accused of lying. I had to really unpack that concept and help S14 see how nuanced it was.

So I would toss out scenarios and we would walk through the exercise together (trying to make it fun). For example, I would give him an example of his friend coming over to play and in the scenario, we have popsicles in the freezer. If friend wants a popsicle, and S14 knows there are popsicles, but says no, is that lying? What if S14 doesn't know there are popsicles? What if S14 forgets there are popsicles? What if S14 knows there are popsicles and also knows his friend is on a strict diet because sugar can make him sick?

I used movies and we would discuss the nuances, sort of like an ongoing lesson, over and over and over. So when he would come home from his dad's and say, "You lied about xyz." I could validate him first, "I would feel really upset if I thought my mom lied about that. How do you feel about that?" And then I could ask him some validating questions along the lines of our conversations about privacy and lying and withholding, etc.

On a separate note, when I lived with my ex husband in the home, I talked about how we would handle some of our most constant points of pain, like blow ups at the table. I think it helped S14 to know that we had a plan. "When dad gets angry at the table, we have some choices. These are the choices I see, and I am going to pick the one I think will minimize conflict. We can regroup after when it feels safe and debrief about what happened."

It didn't always work.   My son always wanted to fix his dad and often would blurt things out. I do think it helped him manage his anxiety, and he was definitely relieved to know that he wasn't alone, or the cause of the outbursts.

What might happen if you asked the kids to walk away during a 15-minute screaming fit? My son used to run to his room, and I think it made him feel like he was being a coward. I wish I had been more empathetic with him, maybe reinforce that he made a good choice to take care of himself like that. And to let him know that I also found the screaming to be hard, so he felt less alone about being in distress.

Breathe.
LilMe

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Together 10 years; now living apart since April 2016

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 10:04:34 AM »

Sorry I haven't thanked you sooner for responding, livednlearned!  It helps to know someone hears me and I am not totally alone in this mess.

I am doing most of what you suggest and it does help immensely.  Especially validating the children and especially after their father says awful things to them.  We talk about how to handle the episodes and what we can each do to reduce the conflict.

Kind of funny, but not, is our recent movie episode.  We rarely watch movies, but the children are in a choir and the teacher wanted them to watch The Sound of Music.  On a rainy day while he was gone the children and I watched it.  After it was over we talked about it and the children mentioned how mean the father was and how it reminded them of their father.  When uBPD found out we had watched that movie he flipped out.  He said I was ruining the children by allowing them to watch a movie about an abusive feminist taking over a home and undermining the father's authority.     I suggested he watch it, but no way.

Thanks again!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest