Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 11:45:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I intervene when my BF has rage outburst against our child?  (Read 369 times)
Isa_lala

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: January 06, 2016, 09:11:42 AM »

I posted this on another board and was advised to post it here. My BPD BF and I still are together.

Hello

My BF has a 9-year old kid who leaves with us a week of 2. When his father (my BF) gets upset with him, he yells at him and I intervene because I don't want my BF to yell at his son's. that makes my BF more upset and he yells at me in front of his son (and my 8-year old one). it makes things worst and i am wondering if it's worth it.

How should I handle that? I tried to calm him down by speaking calmly but it doesn't work either.

thank you
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 05:17:24 PM »

Boundaries are important, he needs to know what is not allowed.  However, if you don't have much leverage — for example it is his child and not yours — then you have fewer options available to you.

You can also read on our topics for improving your communication skills, however that too can only go so far.

Ponder what your options are.  What Leverage do you have?  Understand that leverage you may have today can fizzle all too quickly under the glare of wide-ranging emotional states.  It's like squeezing a balloon, you can squeeze one part and it just bulges out somewhere else.  Another comparison can be whack-a-mole found in almost every amusement park, hit one spot, another pops up from another hole.

Is there any way he would join in counseling?  Sometimes an emotionally neutral professional can make progress where you in your close emotional relationship can't.  Counseling can work — if he will allow it to work.

rarsweet

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 08:16:53 PM »

Is he receptive to talking about his outbursts. Does he acknowledge after the fact that it is wrong. Some people I know realize what they are doing is wrong but in the heat of the moment they just revert to habits. Perhaps if he is receptive you could create a code word or a touch to sort of get him to take a break in the moment. It isn't really a good thing to undermine each other in front of kids. Yet I understand it is hard to watch any kid getting screamed at.
Isa_lala

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 07:43:47 AM »

Hello And thank you for your answers.

part of my BF knows that it is wrong to yell like this and he feels guilty afterward. Part of him, though, seems to really believe that his reaction is caused by others. It removes responsibility from his shoulders... .

after last week event, I have waited for the good time to speak to him, but he had stayed distant.

As we moved in together recently, I want to discuss the living together because I am not happy with it and I want to get his input and to let him know what I like and what I doN't like.

of course, I can't tell that i will be able to have this discussion with him as every discussion is difficult and goes into a dead end... .
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest