Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 01:20:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we talk about behaviors to children of BPD's  (Read 346 times)
mother in law

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« on: January 07, 2016, 05:24:37 AM »

I spoke to my son today about my approach to his daughter and how I speak to her about her life with her BPD mother.  My gd does not like "deep" talks about anything so if she talks about her mother I try to listen, find how she feels,  use humor where appropriate (she is quirky and gets this), reassure her that the bad talk about our family will not hurt me but the bit I was a bit concerned about was the type of language I use. I am fairly blunt (I slipped up once lately-In a previous post, and i don't want to do it again).

I gave an example of when her mother was trying to manipulate her into staying home and not see her friends. I asked gd if she knew what that sort of behavior was called and when she said no I said emotional blackmail and told her I realize that is hard for her.

When I asked son if this was OK and should I have said nothing.  His response was that he thinks that sometimes it gives her the language to deal with a situation  and as long as we talk about behavior and not the person it is OK. I might add that gd keeps coming back for more! !

What do others think? ?
Nope

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 08:47:17 AM »

I think you are doing a great job. It is absolutely ok to talk about the behavior and not the person. It is also absolutely ok to talk about the behavior when you see it in another person (like a character on a TV show for example). My DH's kids are preteens and there have been times when I've gone so far as to say, "Your mother is an adult and will live her life the way she sees fit, but for you in your life it's important to know that there are better ways to handle situations like this." And then I've gone on to have a conversation about how situations can better be handled.

I am also very blunt and what I've found as is that although I never attack their mother if I cut through the baloney and am straight forward and relaxed with them they suddenly become far more honest and open with me. They drop the "pretend world" that they created out of necessity where there mom is perfect and can actually go to that more painful place that is reality. It doesn't always happen but when it does I get a gimps of kids I have to worry about much less in the long run.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest