Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 01:22:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wife appears to have BPD  (Read 377 times)
devin2001
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: January 09, 2016, 08:10:14 PM »

I met my wife when I was a senior in high school and she was sophomore. We dated and went to the prom. I went to a college that was 50 miles away and did not have a car so we could not see each other for most of that first year, but we exchanged letters. When I returned home for summer I found she had joined a religious cult and was told we could not be together unless I joined which I refused. Years later I learned she  married a fellow cult member and they had four kids. He was a drug user and she eventually divorced him, dropped out of the cult and sought me out to resume our relationship.

I was in a troubled marriage myself and was planning also to get a divorce. After I did we were married and all was fine while the children were growing up. She worked sporadically as a home care aide and we owned 50 rental properties which I managed but one day I had missed paying a bill for a department store and my wife chewed me out in front of the kids. 

After the kids all grew up and moved out she became worse. It was hard work maintaining the properties so we eventually sold them off and I got a full time job in community relations. Every few weekends she would get upset about something I did or failed to do or said or didn't say and she would "go-off."  We went to see a counselor who mumbled my wife has "control issues" but she never offered any real advice so the pattern continued.

She goes out of her way to make me feel bad. When her father needed help we helped him until he died. When her brother died I was supportive of her grief. When ever she asked me to do anything for her I always did it. But when ever I want something there is a problem.

When one of the kids asked her if they could move back in she told him yes with out even checking with me. I said since I am the husband and I paid all the bill I wished he had come to me or she could have told him to talk to me but she blew up screaming why should they talk to me? They don't need to talk to me.

She constantly spends money on stuff we don't need. We have stacks and stacks of toilet paper that she buys because it's on sale. We have  a basement full of boxes of pots and pans we never use and several sets of silverware and every time I turn around she buys sets of drinking glasses and more and more stuff. We have no savings and when ever I say we need to start savings she goes off and buys more stuff.

I got a job teaching college classes for 6 years but the school changed programs and eliminated my set of course. I got my retirement money in a lumps sum. When the check for $16 thousand dollars came I wanted to put  it in savings but she screamed we owed so many people money for what she had been borrowing over the years. This was the first I ever heard of this so I said I wanted to talk to who she owed the money to at least thank them for lending it to us. But she told me I was not welcome in their homes  and it would cause trouble If I showed up since it was the wives who lent her the money without their husband's knowing. So the 16 grand went "Poof!"

And Christmas! She loads up the living room of hundreds of gifts for each of the kids and most of which they don't take home so our house is jammed with their stuff. She insists we put up two Christmas trees. One in the living room and one in the family room.

A few days before this Christmas her sister who had a very long history of illness died. She never spent much time with this sister. They grew up in separate homes and rarely every spoke.  In fact I was the one who took food to her sister at my wife's request (her order really) 

Weeks have passed since the funeral. Around New years I suggested we pay attention to our savings and that we should discuss putting a part of each paycheck into a savings account. She still works sporadically and agreed we should. But every day she comes home with bags of groceries without checking with me.  When I reminded her we had agreed to at least check before spending any thing she went off in a rage.

She was grieving over her sister! She said she cries every day. Oh my God how she misses her sister (the one who she rarely ever spoke to)  She said I was putting too much on her to talk about saving  and not spending... .and she was spending money on our food!  What was wrong with me?

I had to leave to go to work. By the way I have two full time jobs now. One during the week 8 to 5 Monday to Friday and another one 3rd shift Friday night, 2nd and 3rd shift Saturday and 2nd shift Sunday. 

She too had 2 "jobs" where she did house cleaning and helping with an elderly man 1 or 2 days a week for a few hours.

After this blowup she tell me she was fired from both jobs because she was crying every day over her sister (the one she rarely ever spoke to) and both employers told her she needed a better support system and both told her she needed grief counseling to help her cope with the loss of her sister. (the one she rarely ever spoke to)

As is the usual pattern after she calms down she will call me and say "Honey, I need you... .or Honey I love you... .or Honey If we got a divorce I would be so worried about you.  and all with be well until the next week end.

When I talk to her about getting help she says I have issues with misplaced anger since my parents abused me as a child. She has never apologized or accepted responsibility. she screams everything that goes wrong is always my fault and I am the one who needs to get help. 

One time I was late getting home from a conference and she was sitting by the door with a gun saying she thought she saw someone in the back yard... .Of course I checked and there was no one there but I'm the one with the problem and I need to get help. 

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

SweetCharlotte

Relationship status: Recently estranged. Married 8.5 years, together 9 years. Long-distance or commuter relationship.

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 10:56:56 AM »

You haven't posted this to the "Undecided" Board, but it sounds like you may need to make a decision, and soon, for your own wellbeing.

I don't like the part about her sitting next to the door with a gun to greet you because you were late. Don't like it one bit.

Financially, this lady has been bleeding you dry for years, and then some. I'm a woman and I totally earn my keep. Since I married my uBPDh, I have helped him to improve his money situation. We have separate bank accounts, and in almost every way our financial lives are conducted in consultation with each other but apart from each other. Maybe that is what you need, if not a total separation/divorce. I suspect that your wife would not like being isolated from your money. With the gun added to the equation, I'm not comfortable advising you to cut her off from your finances without running for cover yourself.

Anyone who causes this amount of financial havoc—utter ruination, really—is a candidate for ex-spouse in a hurry. You don't refer to your intimate/sex life or whether there is warmth in that respect, or whether you love or are in love with her. It sounds like the money situation is the center, with mourning/bereavement concerns being the only emotional issue you mention. However, money is always tied to emotions. When it's "all give and no take" we feel less valued as people.

Devin, you sound like a good and decent husband; I hope that you get counseling to work out this very exploitative situation in which you find yourself. Whether she has BPD or not, she is definitely a hoarder and a binge-spender. Sometimes these behaviors stem from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I'm sure you've watched the show Hoarders. Most of those people are either divorced or separated from spouses. There gets to be no more room in their lives for a partner. If I were you, I would start to extricate myself and get legal/financial protection, while getting counseling to help support myself in the process. You deserve no less.
leggomyeggshell

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 04:39:11 PM »

Sounds very similar to my situation.  The spending/shopping is a way to soothe the internal emotional feeling they are having that day.    I did place a daily limit on our debit card. That has to be done at the right moment to avoid triggering a major outburst.  but she does sort of listen when I say that we are going under financially, then she will sort of cut back for a week or two, then resume spending.  I would set the limit lower if I could but the bank only allows it to go down to a certain amount per day.  If I cut her off completely she would have a major panic attack and complain about what a victim she is so I have not yet been able to cut her down to a spending level that is reasonable.  Painfully frustrating but being with these people can be like a constant nightmare.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest