Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 06:08:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Helping pwBPD to parent  (Read 358 times)
wundress

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married but living separately for now.

« on: January 14, 2016, 03:04:17 AM »

We are having and have always had an issue with my wife's parenting.

Due to a lack of empathy she can't seem to understand why our 5 year old daughter doesn't do as she's told all the time, has tantrums etc. My wife seems to think our daughter should be a robot and judges her as if she is an adult.

For instance this morning we were all running very late. My wife was getting very stressed. She started shouting about everything. My daughter also gets stressed when she has low blood sugar/is hungry. I tend to let the tantrums go as I know my daughter can't help it. But my wife takes it very personally. I could see things were going to blow up so I asked my wife to go and do something in the kitchen. My daughter wanted a spoon and wife grabbed her by the arm and tried to force her to get her own spoon. I told her to stop it. So my wife leapt up and told me to shut up in front of our daughter then stormed off.

I did the rest of the morning routine on my own without further tantrums.

My wife stormed back in and said we needed to talk about me "undermining" her. We had already had a conversation about it yesterday because similar things happened yesterday evening. So this morning I steeled myself to sit calmly and listen. She went on about how I don't support her and I let our daughter get away with too much. So I pointed out that she is only 5 and she needs my protection when I feel she is being treated unfairly. I explained that I was trying to be supportive by giving the two of them space from each other. I said I knew my wife wants to be a good parent and I was trying to help her by taking away the difficult situations. She just went on about how I don't want her to be a parent. Threw every insult and accusation at me.

In the end I just stopped the conversation about the rights and wrongs. So I said we need a strategy and made a point of taking her suggestions and saying how they could work. I also made it very clear that I will not accept her manhandling our daughter and that my priority is to protect our daughter when needed.

Afterwards she apologised for shouting and being rude.

But how can we avoid these situations and how can I show her that I'm trying to help not undermine?

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

sweetheart

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married, together 11 years. Not living together since June 2017, but still in a relationship.

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 03:50:11 AM »

Hi wundress,

May I suggest you also post on the Co-parenting board as well. They are very helpful with advice and support about the issues you are facing. It's not just for couples that have broken up.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest