Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 08:20:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Needs help with patience  (Read 367 times)
wundress

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married but living separately for now.

« on: January 17, 2016, 03:47:06 PM »

I have literally felt at the end of my tether all day today. My wife and daughter have tried my patience terribly. Thing is, I can excuse much of my daughter's behaviour because she is 5.

My wife woke up grumpy, she fell asleep again for a few hours, I let her sleep in the hope she would be less grumpy.  She woke up just as grumpy.

Literally every word she has said today was snappy and snarling. She was horrible and aggressive towards our daughter and getting into petty squabbles with her. I tried to intervene and got called names.

In turn my daughter started arguing back and started getting rude. When she knows my wife is in one of her moods my daughter plays on it and winds my wife up even more.

I have been very good at diffusing situations lately but today my patience was severely tested and I felt on a knife edge. Then I start wondering if our relationship is worth it when I feel I have to do the job of two parents in relation to our daughter AND feel like I am parenting my wife. In return I get shouted at, called names etc. All I want is a bit of peace!

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Jessica84

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 04:29:07 PM »

I'm sorry you have to deal with this.   All any of us want is peace!

As you said, you can excuse your daughter's behavior because she is only 5. Your wife may have an emotional age of even younger than that. I adjust my responses according to the age my bf is acting. When he acts out I try to see him as a toddler having a tantrum. This sometimes brings me inner peace. I can de-personalize it a bit. I wouldn't talk to a small child the same as I would an adult. Find what might be driving the behavior, validate their feelings. This can often return them to an adult age again. If not, disengage. Take a walk, do something else. Try again later.

Of course, easier said than done. When you're getting blamed, accused or name-called, it can be very difficult to see a toddler who looks somewhat like the grownup woman you married. I know it's hard. Sometimes all I see is a grown man behaving badly.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 04:33:59 PM »

I'm sorry you are dealing with this.   

No good advice to offer as I'm often in the same boat with much less provocation. It gets old having to stuff the nasty comebacks. Sometimes I will flip off my husband with my hand in my pocket. Childish, but it makes me feel better temporarily.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest