Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 08:29:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What should I have said?  (Read 385 times)
whitebackatcha

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: January 30, 2016, 04:08:46 AM »

PwBPD was upset about outside event. She shared info about it via text, more than she typically does. I comment on how frustrating it would be. She says that's just her life. I say, "I would feel xyz in that situation." She gives another vague comment. I share my own experience with something similar, as this seemed to really make her open up yesterday in a stressful situation. No response. I then tell her she can let me know if she needs anything. She says "Like I'm ever allowed to need anything." I say, "For whatever it's worth, you can with me." She says, "Right, since you have always made me feel like I can have needs."

I knew to back out, and I just chose not to respond. She didn't initiate contact again. I can see how telling her her needs mattered to me likely felt invalidating. I'm not sure what I could have said that wouldn't have sounded like an agreement. She does not like lots of emotion when upset, either. Also, I'm not sure how I could have responded to her last statement . I consider it progress that I didn't take it personally, at least.

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

sweetheart

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married, together 11 years. Not living together since June 2017, but still in a relationship.

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 04:25:36 AM »

Sounds like progress to me as well.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Maybe next time as you observed, leave your experience out of it.

What I do when my h talks about how awful life is, or how bad things always happen to him, is just simply let him know I'm listening, so I say 'I hear you' ' that sounds really hard' or 'I'm sorry you that's happened, i can hear that it matters/is important to you' and so on.

What I found early on is I made lots of mistakes when using validating language and responses, I was always second guessing myself, because it felt weird.

What's important to focus on is that your responses were enough for your wife to feel heard.

waverider
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 06:30:12 AM »

I guess you sharing that you had a similar experience may have made her feel like her "dramatic" story was nothing special. Who knows. Important thing is you knew when to just drop it and let it ride, you can't always just have the perfect response. Its more important to not make it worse when it does seem not to be a hit.

Validation doesn't fix everything it just makes the odds a bit better

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
whitebackatcha

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 11:46:23 AM »

Sounds like progress to me as well.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Maybe next time as you observed, leave your experience out of it.

What I do when my h talks about how awful life is, or how bad things always happen to him, is just simply let him know I'm listening, so I say 'I hear you' ' that sounds really hard' or 'I'm sorry you that's happened, i can hear that it matters/is important to you' and so on.

What I found early on is I made lots of mistakes when using validating language and responses, I was always second guessing myself, because it felt weird.

What's important to focus on is that your responses were enough for your wife to feel heard.

I've had terrible luck in the past with validation. Pretty much any phrase I've ever read suggested has set her off, so I've been trying using myself as a way to mirror feelings. I'm not suggesting how she feels, only stating my own, so there is less to react to. It worked great the day before, but it was also a less charged situation.

I have no idea why I didn't mention this in the OP, but she mentioned suicidal ideations, and I don't know how to validate that without using a feeling word she hasn't used herself, which is ineffective for her.

I sent a heart, which she saw this morning and hasn't responded to, so she is either taking space or giving me the ST. This is a LDR, so that makes it easier in some ways to go about my day. Not chasing is a primary boundary of mine, so I plan to send a link or something fun in the evening at most, and otherwise stick to a greeting in the morning until this blows over.

whitebackatcha

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 11:50:59 AM »

I guess you sharing that you had a similar experience may have made her feel like her "dramatic" story was nothing special. Who knows. Important thing is you knew when to just drop it and let it ride, you can't always just have the perfect response. Its more important to not make it worse when it does seem not to be a hit.

Validation doesn't fix everything it just makes the odds a bit better

I appreciate this reminder. It's amazing how many levels of letting go there seem to be.

whitebackatcha

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 09:42:34 PM »

And we have the first breakup after being gone five months! She made it five weeks of active talking, gee whiz!  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

The times before, it was always preceeded by a disagreement. This time, she said she was a bad person, and she wasn't going to contact me again so as to minimize the damage.  Being cool (click to insert in post) She also threw out, "Thanks for the fish." I don't know what she's talking about, and wonder if it's an invitation to ask.

I told her I was sorry to hear that. I gave her an out and said I hoped she meant she wasn't going to INITIATE contact, but if she didn't I couldn't stop her, and I would be very sad. I asked about the fish comment. I then said, on my end, that I knew she was going through a lot right now (true), that it might be awhile before things went back to normal, and I was here for her. It didn't drain me (it's not devastating like she implied, anyway). I said maybe we could connect by phone later today, and that the ball was in her court.

I don't know if that's perfect, but it's important to me that it be very clear if I won't make the next contact. I wanted her to feel supported, but not enabled.

Honestly, I just wanted to tell her to knock it off, and we could talk later. 

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest