Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 08:43:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: this all fascinates me  (Read 428 times)
mylifeisgoodnow

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: January 31, 2016, 10:27:15 AM »

I am new to this BPD topic and find it all so interesting.  Growing up with a father with bi polar paranoid schizophrenia and being told "he's just sick" I am finding the adjustment quite easy. Before thinking this was a normal relationship and wondering what the heck I am doing wrong. It is actually a relief.

I was taking everything personally and that is not the case. Different perspective.  Different perception. Different approach.

I have a support system and just being with my bf brings me comfort so I can take a step back, live my life, and enjoy him when he is feeling balanced.

I am only responsible for my half of the relationship and that is me.

They are sick. Practicing release of control is needed instead of trying to control and stay ahead of the waves. That in itself is crazy making. They are who they are. It is what it is.

I can only speak for my BPDbf and say he is very sensitive and so am I. He can feel when I'm bearing down on him and needing more. As i can feel him pulling back. To keep doing the same thing and expecting different results is insanity. I get this now.

I am lucky he doesn't rage but he does get angry.  But silent treatment is his way to express that. Now I just have to smile like at the antics of a child when he doesn't get his way. And if he leaves again so be it. His problem not mine.

Thanks for letting me vent.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Ceruleanblue

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 02:34:34 PM »

Yes, when you can stop taking it so personally, or stop picking up the blame they often project, that can lead to quite a shift. Mostly in the non, but sometimes it can also change the behaviors of the pwBPD too.

It seems you are in a good place with this, and so have the best chance of making this work. Of course, like you say, he may choose to leave, and that's just part of BPD, their unstable emotions, and choices.
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 04:27:35 AM »

Not really a vent, more of a self validation. It is good to be able to stand back and see your own part in it and be ok with it rather than being guilt ridden and overwhelmed.

It is what it is and we do our best to live harmoniously with it rather than trying to fight the impossible, and often pointless, fight.

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Scarlet Phoenix
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Together 9 years

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 04:56:51 AM »

Hi mylifeisgoodnow,

A lot of good points in your post  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) I try too keep the 3 C's in mind:

I didn't cause, I can't control it, I can't cure it

~~ The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; who strives valiantly; who errs; who comes short again and again ... and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly ~~ Become who you are ~~
Ceruleanblue

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 03:59:59 PM »

Scarlet Phoenix:

I really like that, and will be making it one of my mantra's I recite in my head. Very helpful. Thanks for sharing it.
Scarlet Phoenix
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Together 9 years

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 04:26:48 PM »

Smiling (click to insert in post)

~~ The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; who strives valiantly; who errs; who comes short again and again ... and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly ~~ Become who you are ~~
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest