Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 05:04:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vicious circle  (Read 377 times)
palmtr33
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: March 15, 2016, 07:50:41 AM »

Hi, I`m really hoping someone can offer some advice please? I`ve been with my partner a couple of years and he has recently been diagnosed as having "Unstable personality disorder". From what i`ve read this is similar or same as BPD? I struggle with being able to tell him how I feel when something he does or says upsets me. He has started going a lot lately and we are spending less and less time together. He constantly says he "senses" something is wrong and questions me about it, but when i try to discuss it with him and ask that we spend a bit more time together he turns it around and says I am being needy and shouldn`t have a problem with it. He always wants to know "whats wrong?" but cannot or will not accept my feelings and always blames me. Its got to the stage where I dread another confrontation, I always feel trampled. Is there a way of communicating effectively? Its seems impossible to have any meaningful conversations without being blamed for everything and anything.

Thanks for any advice
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

C.Stein

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 08:38:04 AM »

Hello palmtr33 

Communication with a borderline can be extremely challenging and difficult.  In my own case at times I was just left feeling confused and unheard.  It is doubly frustrating when you attempt to communicate your feelings and thoughts and they get twisted and warped by the other person. 

A good place to start learning how to better your relationship and communication skills is by reading through the lessons.

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=56206

There is a lot of information there to process.  Please don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any.
palmtr33
Fewer than 3 Posts

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 08:22:33 AM »

Thankyou, I will do that   Smiling (click to insert in post)
an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 10:34:30 AM »

Hi palmtr33,

Excerpt
He always wants to know "whats wrong?" but cannot or will not accept my feelings and always blames me. Its got to the stage where I dread another confrontation, I always feel trampled. Is there a way of communicating effectively? Its seems impossible to have any meaningful conversations without being blamed for everything and anything.

this is a question that you can not answer. You are not his therapist - I hope he got one - has he? Any attempt to answer this question will be inadequate and perceived as invalidating. That then makes him more excited and less logical and boom! The best way to handle it would be a boundary - i.e. you commit not talking with him about what is wrong at this point in time. Find a short way to say no and prepare to leave the area if he does not listen. Check out the boundary workshops.

Communication in a relationship with a pwBPD at least for a long time initially should not be problem solving oriented but focused on emotional stability. This is not ignoring real issues but is moving everyone to a place where eventually real issues can be tackled. C. Stein pointed you to a good starting point.

Welcome,

a0

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest