Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 12:54:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wavering on the fence and I don't know which side to step off...  (Read 379 times)
rockypath
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: March 28, 2016, 12:31:37 PM »

I'm a 33/F in a relationship with a 30/F who has an 8 year old child.

We've been together almost two years and it's been a little over a year since my gf was diagnosed with BPD. She's in therapy 1-2x a week and on medication.

It has been a difficult road and I'm tired.

I love her and I seek comfort in her presence. I have so much hope and I wonder if I'm foolish for hoping. We have such good times together and when things are good they're heavenly. Unfortunately when there is the slightest issue, the smallest wrinkle, it triggers blame / venom / and any number of outlandish reactions.

We had a particularly bad patch about six months ago and she spewed the most vile awful things at me that I eventually forgave. She was good about name calling for awhile but over the last month she's fallen back into the pattern of calling me a, "b___," and a "nag" multiple times in between, "___ you's." I told her it was unacceptable and abusive and pulled away and she cried and ended up apologizing and saying that she would try to be more mindful about not lapsing into such a poisonous mindset. This was only a couple days ago.

Today, while she hasn't resorted to name-calling, she's upset with me for an absolutely ridiculous reason. I genuinely don't even understand what she's upset about - it's that small. She's convinced I disagree with her over something when I didn't voice a single word in disagreement. She said should couldn't even handle arguing with me today and told me - 2x - to not contact her. I obliged and then she called and has been sending me messages saying she wished I had said things differently.

I don't know what to do. I'm so tired.

Is there ever an end to this behavior? I read that some people eventually mature out of it or that they find a combination of meds that work or EMDR and DBT help them control their outbursts but I want to know - is it really worth it?

I love this woman. I care deeply for her child. We've built a small life but I'm young enough that I worry about sentencing myself to a life of non-improvement. I'm always willing to try if the other person is and so far she's always seemed willing to try. I count myself lucky she acknowledges that she is BPD and is going to therapy and is taking medication and loves and care for her child in a remarkably responsible way but the interpersonal chaos is chipping away at my resolve.

Is there light at the end of the tunnel? Or just a longer and longer tunnel?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 11:51:03 PM »

Hi rockypath,

Welcome

While it's good that your gf is diagnosed and in treatment, it's still, well, a rocky path...

You're very frustrated, and that's entirely understandable. pwBPD (people with BPD) have a penchant for making mountains out of mole hills. It's frustrating to say the least.

We have resources here, developed by leading experts in the disorder, which may help you reduce conflict by trying in a new communication style. It may segue well with whatever she is learning in DBT.

Communication using validation

Let me know if that makes sense to start. We have a let of resources here, and members who are experienced in navigating BPD relationships who will support you  

Turkish

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Grey Kitty

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 10:14:16 AM »

Hello and welcome!

I just want to say that you do have a lot to hope for.

Hope for your partner's healing. It is possible for a person to recover from BPD, although it will be a long hard path for her, full of setbacks. I don't know of any stories of instant fixes, or even very quick ones.

There is even more hope for you--you can learn how better to deal with your partner. As you do, you will notice that you are getting pulled into participating in the crazyness with her, and you can learn to do better. (No, it isn't easy either!) Further, even if your relationship with her doesn't survive, what you learn about yourself is yours to keep, and carry forward through the rest of your life.

What I learned here has helped me in so many ways, most of which are outside the relationship that sent me here!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest